Even More Obscure

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing those jerseys with a spiderweb on the numbers.

Wow- if anyone can find a pic of that, please post it! I bet they would have a kickass Halloween jersey.

These are the only pics I found:

96_Spiders_f.JPG

96_Spiders_b.JPG

That's a replica. I don't believe they ever wore those in a game. I could be wrong. But I do remember that Sports Channel Pacific, which was a sponsor, carried about 30 of the games that year. Plus LA, Houston, Orlando, Detroit, Atlanta, Minnesota, and Cleveland also broadcast games that year. I watched a lot of them via DirecTv. I still have some tapes. I probably saw parts of almost half of their 80 games that year. I did see them play in person once in the whites when they came to Cleveland. In the second half of the season, the IHL switched jerseys, home went from white to dark, and vice-versa. They did have a warm-up jersey, I think HJimm has one and posted a picture. Maybe it was used on that.

These are the only pics I found:

That is a lot of webbing. Somehow I was envisioning the webbing hanging off the numbers but that seems more contained. Thanks JAV!

• 3 weeks later...

I wondered when those pics would resurface. I had that done waaaaaay back in 96 by River City Sports in Winnepeg. James (the owner) told me it was one of the styles he offered to the team when they came to him for ideas. The cost was too much so they went with just the back ground. He sent me pics of some of the other (even cooler) samples he made up but I've since lost them. I sold that shirt a few years ago. It's in San Jose now I think.

And Rabid... if you have any IHL games on tape/DVD I would be more than happy to work some thing out. :)

And Rabid... if you have any IHL games on tape/DVD I would be more than happy to work some thing out. :)

Dude, I checked out your hockey site- you are looking for Choppers jersey?!?!? Those were the first pro hockey games I would go to as a kid and am looking for one myself. Any leads?

For everyone else who might not be familiar with this Capital District treasure:

18_ChoppersH_F.jpg

There weren't many to survive I've been told. Some were so torn up because the different players used them over and over (the team had over 50 players in 52 games) that they were just tossed in the trash.

Here's a website with a bunch of pics.

There was one on Classic Auctions a few years ago and it went for over $1000. I'm sure it would probably be double that now.

I remember passing on a game worn Spiders back in 97 that was offered at $500. If only I knew....

Any one else have IHL games on tape/DVD? I have a bunch to trade.

• 1 month later...
There was one on Classic Auctions a few years ago and it went for over $1000. I'm sure it would probably be double that now.

I remember passing on a game worn Spiders back in 97 that was offered at $500. If only I knew....

Many thanks for the updates.

Also, I have a new jersey for this link, the Lakehead Thunderwolves new jerseys are looking sharp! Never been to Thunder Bay but would LOVE one of these jerseys!

EDIT: They actually do sell replicas of the Jersey for $99 Canadian through their hockey operations guy!

post-52-1229100004_thumb.jpg

Also, I have a new jersey for this link, the Lakehead Thunderwolves new jerseys are looking sharp! Never been to Thunder Bay but would LOVE one of these jerseys!

I agree those are nice. I don't know why but as long as the navy and yellow don't come with a Michigan logo I seem to love those colors. Maybe I'm a closet Wolverines fan. Man, my family would disown me. Heck I might disown myself if that were the case.

I agree those are nice. I don't know why but as long as the navy and yellow don't come with a Michigan logo I seem to love those colors. Maybe I'm a closet Wolverines fan. Man, my family would disown me. Heck I might disown myself if that were the case.

I am a big State fan so the Maize and Blue colors burn my eyes a bit. That being said, if I get an X-mas bonus this year, Thunderwolves jersey here I come!

• 1 month later...

Add another good looking logo and good color scheme from an obscure league. This time its the MJAHL!

The Yarmouth Mariners:

post-52-1232488399_thumb.jpg

I like this logo... And will probably get me a Toledo Walleye jersey next season.

walleye.jpg

I like this logo... And will probably get me a Toledo Walleye jersey next season.

Oh man that thing is great. A ticked off fish with a hockey stick! I had no idea what a walleye was but this Wikipedia entry seems to fit the bill:

The common name, "walleye," comes from the fact that their eyes, like those of cats, reflect light. This eyeshine is the result of a light-gathering layer in the eyes called the tapetum lucidum which allows the fish to see well in low-light conditions. In fact, many anglers look for walleyes at night since this is when most major feeding patterns occur. Their eyes also allow them to see well in turbid waters (stained or rough, breaking waters) which gives them an advantage over their prey. Thus, walleye anglers will commonly look for days and locations where there is a good "walleye chop" (i.e., rough water). This excellent vision also allows the fish to populate the deeper regions in a lake and can often be found in deeper water. This also means that since they live and spawn in mostly shallow waters, they can see onto or near the shore for disturbances in the water such as humans.

Oh man that thing is great. A ticked off fish with a hockey stick! I had no idea what a walleye was but this Wikipedia entry seems to fit the bill:

The common name, "walleye," comes from the fact that their eyes, like those of cats, reflect light. This eyeshine is the result of a light-gathering layer in the eyes called the tapetum lucidum which allows the fish to see well in low-light conditions. In fact, many anglers look for walleyes at night since this is when most major feeding patterns occur. Their eyes also allow them to see well in turbid waters (stained or rough, breaking waters) which gives them an advantage over their prey. Thus, walleye anglers will commonly look for days and locations where there is a good "walleye chop" (i.e., rough water). This excellent vision also allows the fish to populate the deeper regions in a lake and can often be found in deeper water. This also means that since they live and spawn in mostly shallow waters, they can see onto or near the shore for disturbances in the water such as humans.

The story that has gone around about this name is interesting. When the Cleveland Cavaliers bought the dormant AHL Utah Grizzlies, one of the names that they patented was the "Cleveland Fighting Walleyes". Chat boards were abuzz about this, and it even made the newspapers. It was really a red herring (Pun intended), and they went with "Lake Erie Monsters". But the owners of the Toledo MudHens, who bought the Storm, decided to uses the "Walleye" name for their team. The jerseys have been unveiled, and they are available. http://toledomudhens.stores.yahoo.net/toledowalleye.html

The story that has gone around about this name is interesting. When the Cleveland Cavaliers bought the dormant AHL Utah Grizzlies, one of the names that they patented was the "Cleveland Fighting Walleyes". Chat boards were abuzz about this, and it even made the newspapers. It was really a red herring (Pun intended), and they went with "Lake Erie Monsters". But the owners of the Toledo MudHens, who bought the Storm, decided to uses the "Walleye" name for their team. The jerseys have been unveiled, and they are available. http://toledomudhens.stores.yahoo.net/toledowalleye.html

I am such a sucker for all of those hockey back stories. On an aside, I really do like the Monsters logo and general jersey presentation.

I like the blue Walleye jersey but I feel its missing striping in the shoulders. Also not a huge fan of the fin addition as well. A secondary logo should be sufficient enough but ###### I like that fish!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure what's taken me so long to add to this thread, but here's one of my favorite jerseys. Click on the photos for larger versions. This time, it's worth it!

2315591050100337552S200x200Q85.jpg 2018890240100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

Pierre-Marc Bouchard 2001-02 Chicoutimi Sagueneens jersey

I love drop shadowed numbers and the squarish Penguins font on the sleeve numbers.

My customizers did a dead on job getting the odd drop shadow in the center of the "A" and the tiny #21 on the chest to honor Guy Carbonneau having his number retired by the team.

2065204610100337552S200x200Q85.jpg 2401313570100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

It actually took two jerseys to make this one. The first one I bought came with a great embroidered crest, but with Reebok and QMJHL logos on the chest where I needed the 21 and the "A" to go, so I bought the CCM you see here, but it came with a craptastic rubberized screen printed crest. Yuk. I was caught off guard by that kind of cresting on a CCM and was never going to be excited about it, so I removed the nice crest from the Reebok, scuttling my plans to resell that jersey on ebay, and had it sewn onto the CCM since it was a 100% perfect fit over the screened one. My sewer wasn't as thrilled since the thread kept breaking due to the thickness of the original crest, but it's even better than when it was just glued on the Reebok now that it is sewn onto the CCM.

One of the nicest jerseys ever!!! I went to buy one from a guy on ebay but he had horrible feedback and ditched his account shortly after.

LMAO...wow, that is unbelievable...

Gotta just love what the minor league teams do for charities.

I am just guessing that if this is like many other minor league specialty jerseys, these were probably auctioned off by the team and I am gonna guess that the proceeds went to The Ronald McDonald House.

Gotta just love what the minor league teams do for charities.

I am just guessing that if this is like many other minor league specialty jerseys, these were probably auctioned off by the team and I am gonna guess that the proceeds went to The Ronald McDonald House.

Not sure what charity it went to, but I understand this was for "Golden Ice Night" and the ice was painted yellow.

BTW: The team is the Kalamazoo Wings of the IHL.