Backup Goalie Who Never Plays: Game Issued or Game Worn?

HawksFanInDC

So, it ocurred to me that a good way to get a couple game jerseys for teams whose jerseys I like was to look into backup goalies. I was curious though if backups who are only on the bench for a game or two (think Carter Hutton for the Hawks when Emery was sick earlier this month), but never get into an actual game, are considered to have game issued or game worn jerseys? They are worn during warmups, but the goalie sits on the bench the entire game. How do you characterize these? Also, from folks experience do teams tend to sell these jerseys or just recycle them?

My view is that it's game worn once the player puts it on for a game they are on the official game roster for. So even if the player is just sitting on the bench the whole game, it's still game worn.

Game issued means to me that it was customized and ready for them to wear but was never used/worn.

"Game Worn", I say. He skated in the warm-up and took a few shots.

A good idea there, though you might only want them for framing or display. I think the "Goalie Cut" is something like 32 or 35 inches from pit-to-pit. I doubt that would look very good on a fan worn to a game (unless those are the dimensions of the fan).

They are game worn because they still have to take warm ups, and even then they will probably have more wear on them from that than any Steve Mason jersey after his rookie year.

Game worn for sure, and it seems like the Hawks recycle a lot of these into pre season shirts the following season. I've noticed a lot of vectors this year on the Hawks jerseys. Oduya for example in his first few games, I can only assume those were Jeremy Morins jerseys from last year.

MeiGray has 10 Goalie Cut (58G and 60G) jerseys in their Clearance section; all for $99 each. That's an attractive price for an NHL jersey if it wasn't for the unusual size/shape.

yeah if the player is a callup they probably wore the jersey already for training camp or something like that. thats usually why they have oddball rookie numbers the first go around.

I have a question, and I hope I am not intruding or should have put this in the "Is it good" thread.

I picked this up because I liked the player.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270940042095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

When it arrived it had some puck marks on it and one small cut on the sleeve.

The seller told me it was a Pre-Seasson game worn jersey and that Pre-Season gamers did not come with LOA's.

Also, the jersey has the 2000 patch that would have been worn in 99/00 but Bell's rookie season was 00/01.

Do you think I should call BS on this guy or do you think they actually re-cycled a 99/00 jersey for the next years pre-season game and did not remove the patch?

And last, it's a 56 not a 58.

I have a question, and I hope I am not intruding or should have put this in the "Is it good" thread.

I picked this up because I liked the player.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270940042095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

When it arrived it had some puck marks on it and one small cut on the sleeve.

The seller told me it was a Pre-Seasson game worn jersey and that Pre-Season gamers did not come with LOA's.

Also, the jersey has the 2000 patch that would have been worn in 99/00 but Bell's rookie season was 00/01.

Do you think I should call BS on this guy or do you think they actually re-cycled a 99/00 jersey for the next years pre-season game and did not remove the patch?

And last, it's a 56 not a 58.

Chicago was notorious for recycling all sorts of jerseys into the next preseason. I think it was Classic Auctions that had a bunch of mid-1990s preseason jerseys; they were recycled blanks going back as far as the mid-1970s.

Chicago was notorious for recycling all sorts of jerseys into the next preseason. I think it was Classic Auctions that had a bunch of mid-1990s preseason jerseys; they were recycled blanks going back as far as the mid-1970s.

So do you think it has potential to be a Pre-Season game used?

They are game worn because they still have to take warm ups, and even then they will probably have more wear on them from that than any Steve Mason jersey after his rookie year.

My 2010-2011 Mason gamer has a 5" repair and lots of wear. Shows what you know! :)

in all likely hood it is a pre season jersey worn i n 99-2000 in a rookie camp or even preseason.

at the very worst it was a game issued jersey but i believe its a preseason jersey

Back up goalie jersey = game worn. NHLers get a pension for playing 400 games, if you're a goalie, and you sit on the bench for 400 games, you get a pension. The NHL considers you being a part of the game, so that's good enough for me. You wore it in the game.

I have a Kings playoff goalie jersey worn by Stephane Fiset that is officially listed on the LOA as "Back Up Used Only" meaning he didn't play in a game during the playoffs in that jersey.

If the Kings or NHL considered the backup goalie not in the game it would be listed as "Game Issued".

Therefore backup goalie is worn not issued.

I have a Kings playoff goalie jersey worn by Stephane Fiset that is officially listed on the LOA as "Back Up Used Only" meaning he didn't play in a game during the playoffs in that jersey.

If the Kings or NHL considered the backup goalie not in the game it would be listed as "Game Issued".

Therefore backup goalie is worn not issued.

That pretty much settles it in my opinion, says used, not issued, case closed.

Redbeard, is that a set only used for the playoffs? I though most teams used set 3 for the end of the regular season and playoffs?

Now that the LOA is in front of me the jersey is officially listed as being from a playoff set.

The Kings were very image aware back then and liked nice clean jerseys. It's entirely possible the had a new set made for the playoffs.

That pretty much settles it in my opinion, says used, not issued, case closed.

Officially the LOA also states it's a game used jersey with a footnote stating it was worn only as a backup.

So, yes, a backup goalies jersey is officially game worn.

If the skate never touches the ice during a game - game ISSUED.

END.

OF.

DISCUSSION.

A regular season or playoff game worn can be several different things.

1) An actual jersey worn on the ice for a game. We can refer to these as Game Used.

2) A jersey worn by a back up goalie or player that does not leave the bench.

3) A jersey that is only worn in the pre-game skate.