The difference between Authentic and Replica?

LeafyMcLeaf

Is it just that Authentics are made by Rebok?

No there's more to it. The fabric is a heavier knit. The shoulders, and elbows (and collar?) are double stitched. There's a "Fight-Strap" that can be attached to your pants/belt to prevent your jersey from being pulled over your head. The Authentic jerseys are also a little bigger in the shoulders and the chest.

To use different terms; Authentic = Game-Ready

Side note - RBK and CCM are the same entity, just different names are used for marketing purposes.

That's it .... I think :unsure:

No there's more to it. The fabric is a heavier knit. The shoulders, and elbows (and collar?) are double stitched. There's a "Fight-Strap" that can be attached to your pants/belt to prevent your jersey from being pulled over your head. The Authentic jerseys are also a little bigger in the shoulders and the chest.

To use different terms; Authentic = Game-Ready

Side note - RBK and CCM are the same entity, just different names are used for marketing purposes.

That's it .... I think :unsure:

Well done Kalitse, and welcome to the IceJerseys BB. As a Habs fan, you are EXTRA welcome here :thumbsup: We are a little heavy on Sabres fans here (hehe).

Damned Sabres.

It happens.

You can really tell the difference between jerseys if you just feel em. The authentics (current edition) really do feel heaiver and better made than the replicas but if you are just going for the look the replicas are the same asthetic wise and won't set you back nearly as much.

Here are some other differences that weren't mentioned that are related to the appearance:

*The tagging is different in the inside:

Authentic:

e8_1_sbl.JPG

Replica:

db46_1_sbl.JPG

*On replicas they have the CCM patch on the back of the neck and on the left wrist. On authentics there is a RBK logo on the back of the neck nothing on the wrist.

*On the back of replicas at the bottom there is an NHL puck logo (on replicas produced before this season/ as the new Buffalo/Anaheim jerseys don't have it). On authentics there is a NHL shield there.

Here are pics showing the neck, wrist and bottom logo differences.

Authentic:

bf24_1_sbl.JPG

Replica:

ducks-away-back-new.jpg

I think mine are replicas, and to tell you the truth I've seen "authentics" and have never been able to tell the difference.

The difference is notable when you're wearing the jersey. I personally can go to a game and spot replicas and authentics in a crowd from about 10-20 feet away, but it's not like there is a huge difference. To me replica jerseys look like practice sweaters. If I didn't put a name on the back of a replica, I'd just get it in an XL and play in it (and I have). They're the same weight and quality as the jerseys most of the teams I've played for in the last 15 years have been. Authentics have a notably thicker, or richer, look to them. They just look a little different - there isn't any specific feature that makes it this way - it's more about the way the material, thickness and weight sits on your body and the way the seams and patches look. Anyhow, I'm a weird one, but I'd decided a while back that I'd rather have a collection of all authentics 1/3 the size of a collection of all replicas. I'm willing to spend the extra money because I like the product better.

I originally bought replicas but got an authentic and I don't know that I could go back it'd be difficult. You just have to try it, you'll get hooked.

- heavy knit, tough and durable.

- seem bolder in color.

- fully stitched, even reinforced stitchings.

- kits (crest and numbers) are soft and flexible

- Look at an authentic crest, then look at a replica crest close up..enough said.

- Authentics are for the dedicated, you become a part of a small group of purchasers.

- The fit is much better proportioned then the replicas (for me anyways), a 52 authentic is baggy on me but arm length is perfect, the XL replica is way too big in every way and L is too small for me in the arm length.

I originally bought replicas but got an authentic and I don't know that I could go back it'd be difficult. You just have to try it, you'll get hooked.

- seem bolder in color.

- Look at an authentic crest, then look at a replica crest close up..enough said.

- Authentics are for the dedicated, you become a part of a small group of purchasers.

- The fit is much better proportioned then the replicas (for me anyways), a 52 authentic is baggy on me but arm length is perfect, the XL replica is way too big in every way and L is too small for me in the arm length.

Obiviously the quality is there but the price gap between an authentic and a replica is just too great for me to justify when they are pretty close in the "look" of the jersey. On icejerseys, for example, an authentic Detroit jersey is 197 while the replica is 89. Maybe some day I will get the authentic of my fav team but if I am going out and buying multiple jerseys then I will stick with the replica prices.

- seem bolder in color.

I like the big crests on the authentics and the little things like the NHL logo on the back (waist). Unlike the other sports, NHL replicas (CCM 550s!) are excellent products and I can live with all the differences. In the other sports, I can't, I will only buy authentic. Replicas' graphics wash off, buttons aren't aligned well, have no shoulder patches or are flat out incorrect.