Help Stripping a Patch for Re-Use

Ok, so I grabbed this jersey on eBay for $40:

IMG_1438.jpg

And my plan is to strip off the USA Flag patch for use on another jersey.

IMG_1436.jpg

I've already stripped all of the stitching (which was really easy) but it appears as though it was heat-sealed down as well.

How do I remove the patch without ruining it? I don't really care about the jersey at all, I just want the patch off of it. Worst case scenario, I'll strip off the Red Wings patch too and sell that to someone who needs it. The jersey was a steal anyway, considering I just need the patch.

I'm sending this to Truman at Gamedaysportsarchives to do up, along with my Wild Wing and some others. He said he could strip this patch for me, but rather than paying him to do it, I'm wondering if its something that's easy enough for me to do at home and just send the patch in.

Is this as simple as just putting an iron on it on a really low setting (with a towel over top of the patch), and just gradually peeling the patch back?

spray goof off on the back of it, wait a minute, peel off easy. rinse with soap.

Thanks man! Worked perfectly!

Thanks man! Worked perfectly!

What type of Goof Off do you use? I need to strip a patch off a jersey too and I want to try this also.

What type of Goof Off do you use? I need to strip a patch off a jersey too and I want to try this also.

I used something called Goo Gone. It worked, but I think I used too much and it may have made the blue run into the stars of the logo a little bit.

I used something called Goo Gone. It worked, but I think I used too much and it may have made the blue run into the stars of the logo a little bit.

I've never seen Goo Gone make color bleed. Are you sure the patch is completely dry? I'll bet when it is dry it will look fine.

Something similar happened to me when i tried using Goo Gone to help strip the USA flag patch off my 1998 NHL AS replica jersey. In my case, only the back of the patch got partially stained, so it wasn't too bad.

Something similar happened to me when i tried using Goo Gone to help strip the USA flag patch off my 1998 NHL AS replica jersey. In my case, only the back of the patch got partially stained, so it wasn't too bad.

Yea, now that everything is fully dry it doesn't look horrible, but I think it definitely bled a little bit.

I might need to do this with a 2001 Mariners jersey I just bought. The AL and All Star patches are reversed from the sides they're supposed to be on. I have some Goof Off 2, so perhaps that will do the trick.

I might need to do this with a 2001 Mariners jersey I just bought. The AL and All Star patches are reversed from the sides they're supposed to be on. I have some Goof Off 2, so perhaps that will do the trick.

Since this was my first time, I used probably too much. If you've never done this before, I'd recommend using a small amount at first. I wasn't sure, so I used a lot and ended up soaking the patch.

Do you guys spray it onto the front of the patch, or the back from inside the jersey?

I sprayed it onto the back from inside the jersey.

• 9 months later...

Hi. Firsttimer here. Not a "pro" like most of you -- new to this, in trying to affordably "make" a cool jersey for my son.

Question -- what is the best way to remove a heat-pressed jersey crest/logo from a jersey, in order to re-apply it to another jersey?

I plan to have it sewn on to the new jersey, but would like to have enough glue left over so that it can at least stick on straight for the sewing process.

Should I put a small amount of acetone on the back in order to remove it? Or does that negate the glue for future re-application?

Would it be better to try to remove it by heating the glue with an with an iron and then peel off -- or is that asking for trouble?

Also, any advice on re-applying the crest to the new jersey (would prefer iron on from home to avoid the whole pro heat press process -- have had some un-professional experiences with "pros" -- but if this is a mistake, please tell me).

Thanks!

Are all the numbers glued or iron on. Or is it just the patches that people put on?

I used acetone recently for a very similar project and it worked perfectly. put it on the inside of the jersey being the patch and it should peel right off. there should be enough glue left afterwards to reuse.