The Whale dies again ...

Looks like the CT Whale are done based on this article from CTnow.com ...

http://www.ctnow.com/news/hc-rangers-part-way-with-baldwin-0627-20120626,0,3013416.story

I found this part interesting.

Meanwhile, the Rangers' hierarchy grew concerned with the financial problems surrounding the team. Reebok, the NHL's equipment and uniform supplier, was owed money by WSE and turned to the Rangers for help in collecting the unpaid debt.

In another article I read, it said that Reebok wanted to get paid before doing any other work for the Rangers. Just speculating, but maybe that's what caused such a problem with the Rangers WC jerseys (late release, limited availability) compared to the Flyers WC jerseys.

Kind of explains why it's relatively difficult to obtain CT Whale jerseys....

Bring back the Wolfpack.

Just demote the Devils to an AHL club and have them be the Rangers affiliate, the Newark Rangers.

Edit: Just saw Brian's comment. I too miss the Wolf Pack. Loved their jerseys.

Edited by akteon

Just demote the Devils to an AHL club and have them be the Rangers affiliate, the Newark Rangers.

Edit: Just saw Brian's comment. I too miss the Wolf Pack. Loved their jerseys.

Could happen. Balwin may retain the rights to the Whale/Whaler name, while the Rangers may own the Wolfpack trademark.

Doesn't Karmanos own the name Whalers (owner who bought Hartford Whalers, moved them to Carolina and bought Detroit Junior Wings, renamed them Whalers and moved them to Plymouth) and that is why this new team was known as the Whale?

Doesn't Karmanos own the name Whalers (owner who bought Hartford Whalers, moved them to Carolina and bought Detroit Junior Wings, renamed them Whalers and moved them to Plymouth) and that is why this new team was known as the Whale?

I was thinking about the "Plymouth Whalers" while I was writing that. You're undoubtedly correct. OK, so somebody's got "Whalers" and Balwin most likely has the "Whale". Excellent opportunity, then, to bring back the "Wolfpack" brand.

I always heard the city owned the name ... but never knew for sure.

Here's an article from 2009 that explains some of it:

http://ctsportslaw.com/2009/10/22/hartford-whalers-trademark-who-owns-the-rights/

It was Mr. Baldwin who bought the Minnesota North Stars, only to quickly lose control of the club to one Norm Green, who ended up moving the club to Dallas. Apparently when you are in a hockey relationship with Baldwin, it looks to be a short term proposition and you had better watch out for your own interests very closely, as the Rangers apparently have done.

Meanwhile, THIS is one of the most attractive minor league jerseys I have ever seen.

2719075970100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

City of Hartford owned the Hartford Whalers name and logo up til a year or two ago which then reverted back to the NHL which was why new Whalers merchandise suddenly appeared again. Karmanos named his junior team after the Whalers before he decided to go lose money in NC but never kept the rights for the Hartford Whalers name.

They wouldn't let the Whale use the Whalers name as originally planned, well because Howard Baldwin specializes in not paying bills and stuff which tends to do bad things for brands associated with him. The only good thing he has ever successfully done was to make the movie Sudden Death starring international action superstar Jean-Claude van Damme, though he almost did human civilization a big favor by driving the Penguins bankrupt and ridding the world of a major terrorist organization. I was suprised the AHL would even let him anywhere near them considering all the messes he has left behind including the Iowa Stars/Chops mess just a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

While searching for the “Goon” DVD on amazon.com, I came across this interesting little book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1450281052/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I bought them both.

This work of fiction chronicles the ups and down (mostly downs) of the Whalers. One could call this “historical fiction”.

In the late 1980s I spent considerable time working in New Haven and attended most of the Nighthawk games when I was in town. Occasionally, with no Nighthawk game, I could go up to Hartford to see the Whalers. I needed to go to YouTube to listen to “Brass Bonanza”. That’s where I had heard it…at Hartford Whalers games.

Enjoy the read if you’re a Connecticut hockey fan.

• 6 months later...

Looks like the Wolf Pack may have a come back!

The team could return to the Hartford Wolf Pack, the name of the franchise from 1997 until it was re-branded in 2010. MSG has kept the brand alive by retaining uniforms and has even renewed the hartfordwolfpack.com domain name, updating data base information on the domain name Saturday.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/blog/hc-return-of-the-wolf-pack-20130216,0,7042224.story

I'm thrilled as I never liked the CT Whale's basterd-ization of the classic Hartford Whalers name/colors.