2012 Free Agency July 1 2012

NYIJM29

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you are still saying that when your ticket prices go through the roof... :D And yes, I am a little teeny bit jealous.

our ticket prices have been pretty high for a while, at least with these signings plus all of our prospects coming up it is justifiable. the past few years, not so much.

btw, i am still in shock. woke up this morning, checked ebay and saw that nothing was bid on, i had a sad.

check twitter expecting more rumors, etc and see "Congrats to the Wild and signing Parise and Suter." I had a major happy!

then i had a big LOL when Modano asked to come back to play in MN. F-You sir.

then i had a big LOL when Modano asked to come back to play in MN. F-You sir.

Modano wants to go back? Ha! He's surely past it now anyway. Congrats sir - ever so slightly jealous that the Rangers didn't snap up Parise but I've always had a like for the Wild. Will be a lot more interesting to watch now.

Parise I had a strong feeling would go, Suter I knew would stay West but surprises that Minnesota broke the bank like that. $25M in practically up front bonuses that are protected from rollbacks or other reductions pertinent to new CBA or failure to meet projections. Wow. At first I thought this wasn't about the $ but the more I read the more it might have played a big factor.

Parise said Devs were his second choice. I know the Flyers and Blackhawks made huge offers, Hawks said they felt close on Parise but not Suter, Flyers I didn't hear any comment yet.

Huge deal and they also have a pretty good prospect system, at least as far as guys who will reach the NHL soon with a shot to make a big impact.

You guys were talking about Dallas, I think they did OK, would you rather overpay long term for average players in their prime, do nothing, or pay handsomely for relatively bankable vets? Jagr and Whitney help their power play tremendously. They were a decent team last year, just didn't have quite enough depth/firepower to keep it rolling consistently. I think they are a playoff team now.

i am weary on our goaltending now. Backstrom needs to step it up, as well as Harding. Hackett is chomping at the bit and has shown he can handle the NHL pressure when he was brought in a few times. I think Backstrom is gone after this season and it is Harding and Hackett holding it down in the future.

I am not shocked that Parise and Suter signed together. Puck Daddy had a transcript from a Parise interview where he said he would love to play together. Prior to reading the interview, I expected Suter to Detroit and Parise to remain in NJ or go to Minnesota (home or home essentially for Parise).

Very glad the 3rd best player in the METRO-TRI-STATE area is gone.

The signing of both Suter and Parise are home runs in the p.r department and on the ice will be for the first 5-8 years of the deals but after that all i can say is ouch they will be on the hook for at least 16 million bucks for 5 years with guys over the age of 35...not good

I understand the move and i think in the short and intermediate run is great but this will blow up in there faces in 8-9 years when these guys hit 35.

I still don't think the wild are cup contenders to many holes on Defence but if guys like scandella and granuland deliver the Wild will be cup runners very very soon. Not to mention they are loaded with other prospects in the organization.

Who knows maybe they could get those 2 stiffs Heatley and Setogucci to play hockey too...who knows>?

I know you Minnesota fans are wetting yourselves right now, but I personally am pretty impressed with Stevie Y and the Lightning. Paid a stiff price for Carle but that defense looks halfway decent now.

Carle Brewer

Ohlund Hedman

Salo Lee

Plus getting Lindback for chump change also provides an upgrade in net. Add all that to an already solid offense, should be fun to see how far they can go in the weaker conference!

If Garth Snow can add one more NHL level defenseman, I would be impressed with the Isles' D as well

Streit-Hamonic

Macdonald-Visnovsky

UFA (Rozsival?)-Carkner

Donovan/de Haan

Honestly i think the Tampa signings Salo and Carle are horrendous bordering on disastrous. Salo is a shell of the player he was and Carle won the lottery because of how thin the D-men free agent class was.

The NYI look good i like the additions they have made i think they are one blue chip dman from being a legitimate team.

The NYI look good i like the additions they have made i think they are one blue chip dman from being a legitimate team.

The Isles have great defense prospects that are 2-4 years away from being beasts (Donovan, de Haan, Reinhart, Mayfield), but I agree/disagree. I would love to add another solid, reliable NHL vet to the current d-forces, but I think obtaining a legitimate top line RW and a real second line center will go a long way for this team--and they cannot be a legitimate team until they get those two forwards. Ryan Strome will be the number 2 center in 2-3 years...Isles need a solid stopgap until he is ready. However, I do not know what the Isles plan to do with Boyes...he could be the second line center or the top line RW. He would definitely improve his stats playing along side Tavares, but if he is the second line center, it might help the secondary scoring (which the Isles severely lack).

I know most of you are aware he has a cannon of a shot, but know little else about him. Having watched Salo for years, I can say that hes an incredibly smart player who is sound defensively by excellent positioning and average to slightly above average foot speed. Hes not the most physical guy but hes definitely a legitimate top 4 defenseman still. Assuming he doesn't get bitten by a snake or block a shot with his balls or sneeze too hard.

Matt Carle, I dont know enough about. Puck moving defenseman entering the prime of his career?

I would have liked the Flyers to re-sign Carle strictly because of their defensive position, but nowhere near that contract. The cap hit and length is awful. Carle is an excellent passer and outside of Timonen, was the best dman to start the breakout. Having said that, his shot is laughably bad, and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest. Add the fact that without the presence of Pronger, Carle has shown that he isnt close to being a top pairing dman.

He will eat up minutes, but at the same time will suely make Lightning fans pull their hair out.

Take good care of Chef Bruno in Philly! Nicest guy you will ever meet. However, if Carle drove you crazy, wait until you see Bruno Gervais!

Suter is a lock to go to the Red Wings IMO.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

:P

Now I need an old USA jersey to make into a #11 Parise world juniors jersey.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

:P

Now I need an old USA jersey to make into a #11 Parise world juniors jersey.

I was close...give or take 650 miles.

I nailed some though!

FreeAgency2012predictions.jpg

Bold pick with Smyth staying in Edmonton. :thumbsup:

Even with Parise and Suter going to Minnesota, I was still more surprised with Tootoo going to Detroit more than anything.

Haha. I snuck Smyth in at the top to make sure I had one right.

Tootoo to Detroit was shocking....I really expected him to stay in Nashville. Hopefully Weber stays in Nashville. I respect what that team has done (Barry Trotz is a great coach) and for the fans sake, I hope their young stars do not leave once they are UFA eligble.

I was a little surprised that the Isles did not match Colorado's offer for Parenteau. $4 million a year isn't that bad for a guy who had 67 points and your team is $10m under the floor.

Parenteau = average nhl player playing on first line with a dynamic player (think of those sucker fish that stick to sharks and eat what ever fall out of the sharks mouth) and getting ton of PP minutes.

IF YOU ADD ALL THAT UP YOU GET 67 POINTS

hes not worth 4 million good move by islanders to walk

I know he isn't worth $4mil and I will be the first to tell you he is a product of JT, but I much rather have PAP then Boyes as my first line RW. The Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau line worked. The Isles are still $10ish million below the floor and only need to resign Matt Martin. Not my money they are giving out! :thumbsup: