2012 Free Agency July 1 2012

NYIJM29

Weber looks like a smart deal now but not sure how good a deal that is in 7 years?

If i was a gm i would be careful offering deals to RFA'S unless i was a big money team, because you know every other gm will gun for my players when the time comes. Personaly if i was a gm of a "rich team" i would raper the other teams.

As for the habs they have done great this off season locking up Carey Price and Paciorrety to long term deals at reasonable contracts. I mean Pacioretty is making less then Grabovski and he had 20 more points including 12 more goals.

I am curious to see how the leafs do My son met Matthew Lombardi at his hockey camp today had a chance to chat with him, heis convinced the Leafs are making the playoff this year.....i wanted to tell him there might not be playoffs but i decided to let him be happy!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious to see how the leafs do My son met Matthew Lombardi at his hockey camp today had a chance to chat with him, heis convinced the Leafs are making the playoff this year.....i wanted to tell him there might not be playoffs but i decided to let him be happy!

The Islanders all sounded positive and convinced they were making the playoffs the past 3 years. If you don't think you are making the playoffs going into the season (if you are a player), you should not be in the NHL

Weber looks like a smart deal now but not sure how good a deal that is in 7 years?

If i was a gm i would be careful offering deals to RFA'S unless i was a big money team, because you know every other gm will gun for my players when the time comes. Personaly if i was a gm of a "rich team" i would raper the other teams.

As for the habs they have done great this off season locking up Carey Price and Paciorrety to long term deals at reasonable contracts. I mean Pacioretty is making less then Grabovski and he had 20 more points including 12 more goals.

I think Burke wants a lockout to happen more than anyone. That way he gets to keep his job for another year. The team so far is the same as last year minus JVR which finished 26th out of 30 teams. A lot of the other Eastern teams made big improvements while the Burke has done pretty much nothing.

IF there is a season the Leafs will not make the playoffs and Burke will be out on his butt as soon as the season is over. I am praying that once Rogers/Bell take full control they do a full MLSE upper management butt kicking and get rid of all the fat cat executives that have turned the Leafs/Raptors/TFC into the laughing stocks of their respective leagues.

\end rant

I think Burke wants a lockout to happen more than anyone. That way he gets to keep his job for another year. The team so far is the same as last year minus JVR which finished 26th out of 30 teams. A lot of the other Eastern teams made big improvements while the Burke has done pretty much nothing.

IF there is a season the Leafs will not make the playoffs and Burke will be out on his butt as soon as the season is over. I am praying that once Rogers/Bell take full control they do a full MLSE upper management butt kicking and get rid of all the fat cat executives that have turned the Leafs/Raptors/TFC into the laughing stocks of their respective leagues.

\end rant

I think it's pretty humorous if in fact Burke does want a lockout. The Leafs were the most valuable team in 2011-2012.... I agree wih you they need to clean house and get management who really wants to lead the team down the path of victory, instead of doing nothing. IMO it's sad for a proud franchise to be run by a bunch of crooks.

I am praying that once Rogers/Bell take full control they do a full MLSE upper management butt kicking and get rid of all the fat cat executives that have turned the Leafs/Raptors/TFC into the laughing stocks of their respective leagues.

Hey, be nice. Don't say the Islanders are an AHL team. We suck hard too!

Hey, be nice. Don't say the Islanders are an AHL team. We suck hard too!

At least you guys have made the playoffs recently. At least the Islanders won 4 cups in a row in the early 80's.

The Leafs have made the conference finals 4 times in the last 45 years. That's it.

At least you guys have made the playoffs recently. At least the Islanders won 4 cups in a row in the early 80's.

The Leafs have made the conference finals 4 times in the last 45 years. That's it.

No! We suck more! The playoffs were a fluke in 2007. Aside from that, we got swept by TB, murdered by Ottawa, and lost a great series to your Leafs! We've been irrelevant since my birth! Maybe I should become a ranger fan?

Noooo! Don't do it, you'll never forgive yourself!

Lol. Every team I like is dysfunctional (except the Yankees), so reverse psychology? Would it work?

Pretty easy to see what has happened to the leafs its the same recipe the Canadiens in the mid 90's. Its really a 3 prong attack to make a franchise with money become a utter disaster.

1- Bad trades the habs traded Patrick Roy for 3 slugs , Vincent Damphousse for some pucks, Pierre Turgeon , John Leclair and there Captain 3 straight times in Carbo, Keane and the aforementioned Turgeon.

The Leafs have managed some disaster trades as well Wether you like Kessel or not no one would trade make that deal today. Andrew Raycroft for tukka task ,Fred Modin and Jason Smith have managed to make some bad deals. I definetly give the edge to Mid 90's habs in terms of bad trades.

2- Disastrous drafting the mid 90's habs came up with some horrid picks lets look at the 1 players picked each year

95- terry ryan bust only Robidas made it to the nhl

96- Matt Higgins only 3 guys played in the nhl from the entire class

97- Jason ward 2 - guys played in the nhl

98- Eric Chouinard by far there best draft class had a few good picks Markov and Ryder

99- Utter disaster again Alexander Buturlin was the fist pick and only one player made it to the nhl

2000- Ron hainsey and 2 others played in the Nhl

so over 6 draft classes the habs had 9 players make it to the nhl and only 5 had any kind of real nhl career

The leafs have been pretty bad too

03- john DOherty 2 guys played in the nhl

04- Justin pogge 54 total nhl games fromt he entire draft class

05 tukka rask but they traded him 3 guys made it to the nhl and 2 of them played less then 11 games

06 Jiri tulsty and they also drafted kulemin and stalber much like the habs they had a "decent" draft one year but hardly impressive

07 Dale Mitchell 2 players made it to the nhl

9 guys With the best player rask playing for someone else

3rd thing you need to do is have a moron run your team

habs had Rejean houle the Leafs have Brian Burke no denying Burke had made a mess of the Leafs, unfortunately for the leafs i know to well what comes next another bad season and no playoffs!!!

Also the Islanders i believe may be terrible forever i could into why but there really is no need

One word: Ownership. We haven't had stable ownership since the early 90s IIRC

With a supposed 4 year 30 million dollar offer out there for Shane Doan it's a joke that the owners can cry poor at this point and time. Sure, some of the markets aren't doing great, but revenue sharing should take reasonable care of that.

I highly doubt Ed Snider is one of the owners that are crying poor. Along with the other bigger markets, I doubt those owners are thrilled about the idea of revenue sharing.

How many of these owners primary concern is their hockey team though? They are making their money elsewhere. Their team's revenue is a small percentage of their wealth.

I dont understand why the NHL or even the NBA dont use the NFL model, The NFL has crushed the union by using revenue sharing and making the players partners. All teams give in to a common pool with the richer teams receiving a little less then the small market teams. Of course the big market teams more then make up the money. The nhl allows teams to sell their tv rights privately and pretty much cause garbage like 40% of games being blacked out in some markets.

Revenue sharing makes sense and i believe the owners especially the rich owners need to stop thinking about the easy money and build the game the way the nfl did. i mean in the late 70's the nfl was nothing like it is now but through revenue sharing a hard salary cap and a floor cap the league has enjoyed unparalleled success while hockey has continued to be niche sport.

I highly doubt Ed Snider is one of the owners that are crying poor. Along with the other bigger markets, I doubt those owners are thrilled about the idea of revenue sharing.

Agree. I would imagine teams like Florida, Phoenix, Columbus, Carolina, Winnipeg, etc. are losing $. Their owners I feel are siding with the players, and/or would be more willing to be open to what the player's ideas/thoughts gravitate to.

I am glad that by me mentioning revenue sharing I was able to single-handedly solve the NHL CBA problem. Now let's start the season!

Now only if the owners and players hear you... :thumbsup: that would seal the deal!

Anyone remember Brendan Witt? This is the reason why he is one of my all-time favorites! He tells it like it is!

(Strong language, therefore, I will not post the direct quotation)

https://twitter.com/Whitemooseranch/status/239031332498460673

Anyone remember Brendan Witt? This is the reason why he is one of my all-time favorites! He tells it like it is!

https://twitter.com/Whitemooseranch/status/239031332498460673

That's awesome, and exactly what the majority of players are probably thinking.

https://twitter.com/...031332498460673

Wasn't Witt the guy who got hit by a car the day of or day before a Isles/Flyers game and said "Im a hockey player, I'll play".

Either way, gotta love how he doesn't hold back on twitter