Purchased jersey smells worse then an ash tray...

So I recently bought a jersey off E-bay and when it came in the mail, the outside brown wrapping paper wreaked of smoke, almost like an ash tray was dumped on it.

After pulling the paper off the box smelled just as bad.

In the box was a plastic shopping bag - smelled just as bad but my hopes were high as the jersey was sealed in a large Zip-lock bag.

When opened my office immediately was clouded with the horrific smell of black lung.

What was even worse, the white parts of the jersey are brown

This is the worst - the only other time I have experienced this smell is when someone used a canning jar as a butt tray and left it out in the rain.

All this and I am a smoker.

Now that my rant is over, is there any tips / tricks to clean the brown out along with the smell or should I just try to return it?

Attached is a Hawks jersey that needs a cleaning but you can see the difference in color.

I really want the jersey but GOOD LORD!

If all else fails maybe I'll keep it as is and huff it when I need a smoke...Yuck!

post-2229-0-29506500-1345780127_thumb.jp

No way dude, that thing is disgusting looking. If it really smells that bad then I'd assume it's not even close to being as advertised. Send it back and keep looking. I don't know if there's anything worth dealing with that crap.

Tar is one of the hardest things to clean off fabrics, white especially, just look at what it does to your skin (a common misconception is that Nicotine makes the stains, Nicotine is in fact invisible). Besides that, you've been given lousy service and haven't got what you paid for - refund for sure d00de.

On a side note, was it an Authentic or Replica you got?

It's an authentic black Flyers Nike

http://www.nhlunifor...s/Flyers10.html

I hate to send it back because I have been looking for one for a while. ,

I'm afraid if I treat the stains with anything more intense then Oxyclean the orange from the numbers will bleed into the white (or brown) area.

This happened to my ultrafil Hawks jersey when I tried to remove a signature...

Seriously, if anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears

post-2229-0-87326200-1345815632_thumb.jp

Id send it back, youll find another one. That jersey will be tainted for a long time, not worth the hassle. Maybe not the easiest jersey but definitely not one of the hardest to find either.

On the subject of jersey smells, am I the only one who loves the way a brand new jersey smells?

Especially like a 6100 right from the sealed plastic bag. :D

Id send it back, youll find another one. That jersey will be tainted for a long time, not worth the hassle. Maybe not the easiest jersey but definitely not one of the hardest to find either.

Indeed! There's always one floating around every month or so - just gotta keep 'em peeled.

On the subject of jersey smells, am I the only one who loves the way a brand new jersey smells?

You're not alone. Not necessarily brand new, but I've said it here before, I love the way Starter Mesh jerseys smell. Even at around 15 years old. I take in a deep breath whenever I put one of mine on.

Try liquid OxyClean. That might do the trick of getting the dinge out. It might not though.

Gotta love those classy Flyers fans that take such great care of their stuff!

I love the smell of new jerseys. I thought it was just me. Its the reason I purchased more jerseys than I planned.

When I got my blue Thrashers jersey last summer as well as my Nike Germany, they both stunk to high heaven of smoke. The Thrashers had quite a bit of what I thought was tar stains or could have been soda stains. I sprayed the dirty areas with some Shout and gave a generous amount of detergent to the wash cycle. Let it soak and repeat until clean. Sad thing is, the white striping on the jersey still had some areas that were kind of discolored. When looking at that photo, it could be near impossible to get that out, especially if it has sat like that for so long.

Sorry to hear your experience. I am in the commercial flat roofing industry and had several pesky tar stains over the years.

To remove tar, dab with mineral spirits. Try to find low odour or odourless mineral spirits if you can, and make sure you dab and don't rub.

If mineral spirit odour remains, pre-treat with vinegar or baking soda and wash with soft bristle brush and detergent.

Hey Thanks everyone for the tips.

I am pleased to say that I bought a product called "Sun Oxy gen" cleaner (similar to Oxyclean)

And an Oxyclean gel stick and hit it hard.

I soaked it in warm water with 2 scoops of the Sun Oxy gen & Tide April Fresh detergent for about 15-20 min and scrubbed the white spots against it's self by hand.

Then I threw it in the wash and boy OH boy it looks like brand new and the smell is completely gone. (Phew)

One other thing that may have helped was hanging it outside to let it air out from Thursday to Sunday.

I am pretty relieved,

I spoke with the seller via E-bay messenger and he is going to return $25 for the cost of cleaning it.

All in all I got a really nice authentic Alt Nike Flyers size 52 dressed with Lindros for $82.95 plus the cost of cleaning supplies...

Thanks again for the tips everybody. :D

Hey Thanks everyone for the tips.

I am pleased to say that I bought a product called "Sun Oxy gen" cleaner (similar to Oxyclean)

And an Oxyclean gel stick and hit it hard.

I soaked it in warm water with 2 scoops of the Sun Oxy gen & Tide April Fresh detergent for about 15-20 min and scrubbed the white spots against it's self by hand.

Then I threw it in the wash and boy OH boy it looks like brand new and the smell is completely gone. (Phew)

One other thing that may have helped was hanging it outside to let it air out from Thursday to Sunday.

I am pretty relieved,

I spoke with the seller via E-bay messenger and he is going to return $25 for the cost of cleaning it.

All in all I got a really nice authentic Alt Nike Flyers size 52 dressed with Lindros for $82.95 plus the cost of cleaning supplies...

Thanks again for the tips everybody. :D

Wow wouldn't have thought it would come out

Did the jersey come from the seller "donkeeboy66"?

Reason I ask is that I finally found an '89 white all star for my cuz, and it smelled the same way....the smell was so bad that I had it on my second floor in the house and it stank up the entire floor.

To boot, it was rolled up into a ball and stuffed in brown paper packaging.....worst pack job ever in my jersey collecting career

th_IMG_0017.jpg th_IMG_0018.jpg th_IMG_0019.jpg th_IMG_0020.jpg

Wow wouldn't have thought it would come out

Did the jersey come from the seller "donkeeboy66"?

Naw, this seller was "knotty"- something er other, I don't want to put his name up to protect the innocent, this seller was very understanding and very accommodating when it came to resolving this issue.

One tip that has worked for me when dealing with E-bay sellers is to always kill em with kindness.

It is understandable that an experience like this will really ###### a buyer off and if you shoot the seller a "mad" message they will respond in kind.

This is what I said in my opening message:

"Thanks for shipping the jersey so quickly but I was surprised when it arrived today that it had stains and smelled horrible.

I think something like that should have been included in the listing.

I am split between trying to get it cleaned and returning it because it is really bad and I do not know if it will be able to get clean.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed."

And from that point forward I always try to stay polite because 2 angry people will get nothing resolved.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue with your seller but if not let me know as I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that all star jersey. :thumbsup:

Hi friend, are you going to buy another jerseys from other site? Pls Google this site: www.iseejerseys.com

By the way, we offer free shipping if you buy any 10 stuffs on the site, and we offer door to door service...

Stfu.... No one wants your crap

@HockeyMusic - That's a better packing job than the cereal box I got a jersey in. Or the 2x2 box I received a size 48 jersey in. Some people are just inconsiderate when it comes to properly packaging jerseys for shipping. I've never used anything smaller than a medium priority mail box.