Biron to Philly for Pick

Mach_9

Wow. After the huge overpayments we've seen, this looks more like a dump than anything else, as if the Sabres are just making room for something. Marty Biron to Philly for a 1st. I imagine this also means Esche is gone.

The Sabres have picked up Ty Conklin to backup Miller.

Edit: On second thought, as much as other players have been landing multiple picks, etc. that Philly 1st rounder is probably 1st overall. Not bad - I hope we trade it for something.

ummm, am I the only one confused by these picks? Why would Philly take on another UFA? I hope Buffalo pedles the pick for a Dman which is what they really need. Ty is good but not great- I am not too happy he will be the backup.

So we actually got a 2nd for Biron, not a first... I don't really get that move. We pick up Conklin for a 5th and we trade Biron for a 2nd. We keep the 2nd, and trade Novotny and a 1st for Zubrus and Helbing (defensive prospect). We also trade a late pick for Mikko Lehtonen (defensive prospect). I like picking up Zubrus, Helbing and Lehtonen, but Lehtonen and Helbing will be in the AHL until needed, and Zubrus becomes our only real pick up/upgrade. So here's the question... why downgrade from Biron to Conklin? It's a huge downgrade and I think we look worse going into the playoffs, or the same at best, as we did beforehand. With the league telling us "Connolly can stay on LTIR til the end of the season, you can use his money on other players, and Connolly will only have to sit the first round" I would have said - "sorry Timmy, you're sitting the first round" and used his money to acquire Zubrus, instead of dumping Biron to clear space. That second round pick doesn't do us a damned thing. We'd look much strong with Zubrus AND Biron, and Connolly returning in the second round than with Zubrus and a no guarantees Connolly, with rubbish backing up Miller. I'm a little upset.

So we actually got a 2nd for Biron, not a first... I don't really get that move. We pick up Conklin for a 5th and we trade Biron for a 2nd. We keep the 2nd, and trade Novotny and a 1st for Zubrus and Helbing (defensive prospect). We also trade a late pick for Mikko Lehtonen (defensive prospect). I like picking up Zubrus, Helbing and Lehtonen, but Lehtonen and Helbing will be in the AHL until needed, and Zubrus becomes our only real pick up/upgrade. So here's the question... why downgrade from Biron to Conklin? It's a huge downgrade and I think we look worse going into the playoffs, or the same at best, as we did beforehand. With the league telling us "Connolly can stay on LTIR til the end of the season, you can use his money on other players, and Connolly will only have to sit the first round" I would have said - "sorry Timmy, you're sitting the first round" and used his money to acquire Zubrus, instead of dumping Biron to clear space. That second round pick doesn't do us a damned thing. We'd look much strong with Zubrus AND Biron, and Connolly returning in the second round than with Zubrus and a no guarantees Connolly, with rubbish backing up Miller. I'm a little upset.

Yeah- I am not too happy either. If they used the 2nd round pick they got to get Zubrus- ok I can get that but if anything (knocking on wood) happens to Miller I think the Sabres are screwed. I would totally sit Connolly in order to get the cap space. Lou in NJ was able to do it Darcy should have rolled the dice....

Honestly - do we need Connolly for the end of the season? Definitely not. Do we need him for the first round? No! If we don't think we can win the first round of the playoffs without him, even though he hasn't played for us all year, than we don't deserve to be in the playoffs. We should have gladly accepted the NHL's ruling, sat Timmy until the second round, kept Biron and still made the Novotny +1st for Zubrus + Helbing deal. We would look 3x stronger on paper.

I don't know if that was such a smart move for Buffalo. I mean, you're basically trading away your #1a goalie in exchange for a guy who is mediocre at best with just 30 career NHL wins. Buffalo had better hope this doesn't come back to bite them.

Look at this thread - I swear Buffalo fans are the biggest homers in the NHL - I expressed what you just pointed out and was disagreed with by about 40 people, Brilliant. Good thread though. No flame fests... just a lot of disagreement and me reiterating my stance on the whole thing.

http://sabres.com/forums/messageview.cfm?c...p;enterthread=y

Look at this thread - I swear Buffalo fans are the biggest homers in the NHL - I expressed what you just pointed out and was disagreed with by about 40 people, Brilliant. Good thread though. No flame fests... just a lot of disagreement and me reiterating my stance on the whole thing.

I know what you mean Mach. I like the fact that everyone is interested in hockey in WNY, but I could do without the fair weather fans who think they know everything. Too many people on there are locked into Sabre vision.

I voiced my displeasure on hockeybuzz and in a roundabout way got called stuipd for questioning these deals! I don't think these moves were the obvious ones or made the Sabres that much better considering everyone wanted Biron and I am sure there were a lot of offers. I support the Sabres but I am not blind to their potential failings.

I feel bad for Biron for being traded to Philadelphia, where goalies careers go to die!!!

I hope you invested your money well young man.

Well, while I'm inclined to agree with you(Roman Cechmanek anyone?), it's not all bad for Biron since he's a free agent at the end of the year so he can go anywhere he wants. If he's smart, it won't be Broad Street.