NHL Lockout.

steezyb

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a buddy that does the ice for the Panthers and another friend knows the equipment manager for the Pens, both have told me they would be absolutely surprised if the season starts before January.

If this is the case it's going to suck eggs. :noway:

The only people getting screwed if there is a lockout are the fans and the workers in the stadiums. Owners and players will sleep pretty well every night while the arena employees may not have enough money to provide food for their families.

The only people getting screwed if there is a lockout are the fans and the workers in the stadiums. Owners and players will sleep pretty well every night while the arena employees may not have enough money to provide food for their families.

yeah thats true, but the player salaries for this season will be put on hold until the lockout is over.

yeah thats true, but the player salaries for this season will be put on hold until the lockout is over.

Right, but how many of us would play hockey for the AHL min, let alone the NHL min ($500k). 24% rollback is a $380k/yr (once the season starts) salary. How many of us would love to have an annual salary of $100K? For me, I hope to hit $100k in the future as an accountant. If I can make $380k to play hockey or $100k to do accounting, I think the answer is pretty clear. Hockey players have very little to fall onto if they are out of a job. They need hockey. Owners have other means of generating income. Most players will survive (the fringe guys might have a more difficult time, but if they are fringe, they can play in the AHL and collect a salary). I can't sympathize with either side. They are both wrong. The players are better at manipulating the fans, Bettman is an idiot, but when it's all said and done, the fans are getting screwed. Not the players, not the owners.

Hockey players have very little to fall onto if they are out of a job. They need hockey.

You just sorta contradicted your stance. Most players can only play hockey. Once they can't play hockey any more, income usually stops, or slows down significantly. Thats why they make so much money during short careers. They're forced into early retirement due to the nature of the job. Most of them will be done "working" in their 30s.

You just sorta contradicted your stance. Most players can only play hockey. Once they can't play hockey any more, income usually stops, or slows down significantly. Thats why they make so much money during short careers. They're forced into early retirement due to the nature of the job. Most of them will be done "working" in their 30s.

How? Players need hockey...they should be grateful of the opportunity they have to earn a living playing hockey. Just take a deal. They are still going to end up ahead if they sign the CBA because they likely will not be able to see that kind of money in a normal job. I understand them wanting to hold out for more, but at what point do you give in? Players will have to give in before the owners. The owners will not give in....the players need hockey more than the owners.

Don't forget that the owners are taking a huge risk owning a team and they sign the players' paychecks.

The thing that drives me crazy about the owners is that they are hypocrites. But you can also argue the players are as well.

I am not choosing either side. I just want NHL hockey. I think both sides are foolish and that when the new CBA is signed, the revenue split will be close to 51/49 +/-2.5 in favor of the players. Just work out the deal tomorrow, open training camp next week and enjoy it.

It really should be 50-50, and thats that, and move on with life. Players need owners. Owners need players. You can't really say one needs the other more. Sure, owners can replace players with scrubs, but then the product is lower quality and you don't make as much money.

As soon as Fehr was Hired it was obvious a lockout was inevitable and if you thought different then you need to look up the guys history. Saying that I'm siding with the players 100%. The owners circumvent the cap, that they waisted a whole season putting in, every chance they get then cry poor the next day saying they pay the players too much. Give me a break.

I'll be fine I have football for now :thumbsup: But I still can't wait so I can R O C K my new jerseys to the games.

Both sides need a come to Jesus meeting.. Both sides are greedy... Screw them... As much as I love my NY Rangers and hockey and NHL hockey in general, I will gladly spend my money on the DU Pioneers hockey team... Great college hockey and I can sit on the glass for 1/6 of the price of a Rangers or Avs game...

I'd like to say as a Rangers fan that I would go to a few CT Whale games, but Dolan profits from those too, so I wouldn't support them. Unfortunately my college isn't really the best sports college.

Well, I guess I'll be picking up a couple football jerseys if the season isn't going to start before January. That better not happen. My question is, what happens to current contracts when the lockout goes into effect?

From now on I'm only buying counterfeits. Sure, I might get cancer, but...

I think I'm just still in denial. I refuse to accept that this is happening. Hockey gets me through these dreaded winters in Canada. Not just because I love watching games, but because I love my fantasy leagues. It's all my friends and I can talk about for the entire season and it sucks to imagine a fall and winter without it. My wife and all the friends that don't play will be ecstatic, though.

I feel you on the denial aspect, haha! I have been so pumped for the season to start. I know the CBA problems have been apparent for a long time, but I never really thought a lockout would actually happen. I'm praying a miracle happens Tomorrow and the season can start on time!

The leafs suck anyway so it'll just take longer for us frustrated leafs fans to lose our s*** cause it will be another year with no playoffs