Color bleed when using acetone

Hey guys. I just started working on an airknit CCM Blue Maple Leafs jersey. I used acetone to help remove the wrong color nhl2000 patch, and I saw the blue from the jersey started to bleed onto the white logo a little bit. Any ideas what to do right away?

Thanks!

yeah that blows, i had ink from a signature run onto a crest once when i was removing it. i would say use goof off on the logo and keep using it, it should come out its just gonna be a pain

You can clean that again with acetone. I'd suggest to use a toothbrush. That's what I do. Can you post a picture,please?

Did I get you right? You tried to remove the patch with acetone while it was still applied to the jersey?

You can clean that again with acetone. I'd suggest to use a toothbrush. That's what I do. Can you post a picture,please?

Did I get you right? You tried to remove the patch with acetone while it was still applied to the jersey?

That is correct. I quickly drowned it in cold water and scrubbed some detergent into it in a hurry. I left it hanging to dry as of now. I was thinking of goof-off and a toothbrush next time and just working gently on the logo.

Nope. It was practically welded on there. I know I am also just covering an nhl2000 patch with another nhl2000 patch, so I know it was pretty foolish, but I really wanted to get the clumps of glue off first.

Acetone won't ruin the jersey, but it will break down the adhesive/colors and make them bleed/spread throughout. If you let it dry or spread it too much without rinsing/cleaning, it'll look much worse than it is, but all you need to do is give it another round.

Whenever I work on a large area that's bad/heavily adhered, I'll only start on a small area, work fast using a lot of acetone (constantly re-dipping my toothbrush) and scrubbing hard (soft toothbrush), and will rinse/detergent the same small area, again scrubbing hard, let it dry, and then go back to it later. It's a slow process, but it works and should eventually come totally clean.

The first time I did this I panicked and thought I'd ruined a jersey, but with several applications, and eventually perfecting my technique, it turns out all came out great.

I've used acetone plenty of times, but this is the first time I've had this problem. I'm sure it will come out, or at least look good enough for me to keep it in my collection.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input on this!!

Will acetone break down heavily applied adhesive? The adhesive is on green air knit.

It definitely breaks it down, but I recommend applying, and letting it set in for a little while before you start pulling the patch up.

If you've got a ton of adhesive, grab an iron and an old t-shirt or rag or something similar (but not fluffy like a towel - get something flat) and heat and iron as much off as possible first. Then, once you've got the bulk of it removed, use the acetone.

For removing patches/crests, I usually turn the jersey inside out and lightly dab the underside of where the patch is with a dab of acetone on cotton wool. Leave it for 30 seconds et voila - the patch peels off with ease.