Pittsburgh to KC?

Numerous outlets are reporting on the letter Mario apparently wrote which indicated talks were at an impasse and that the Pens would be looking to move immediately. What are you guys take on the situation? I grew up a Pens fan and personally would be very upset if they moved. They do not belong in KC- they belong to Pittsburgh. There is no way I would buy a Crosby KC jersey. Thoughts?

Well... I just wouldn't buy a Crosby jersey, but I don't like the idea of them moving - especially not with the season they're having. I suppose, however, if it's good for the game in the long run, I won't be complaining - still, it's a drastic change that would effect my favorite thing in the world (NHL hockey...) so I'm very unsure of how I feel about it. I do think it would be surreal to see Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal and the like playing for a "different" team next year.

Well... I just wouldn't buy a Crosby jersey, but I don't like the idea of them moving - especially not with the season they're having. I suppose, however, if it's good for the game in the long run, I won't be complaining - still, it's a drastic change that would effect my favorite thing in the world (NHL hockey...) so I'm very unsure of how I feel about it. I do think it would be surreal to see Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal and the like playing for a "different" team next year.

I don't know if its good for the game to expand to a really unknown market like KC. I think Canada is a good answer or a more hockey-related environment like Portland or Seattle. Despite the last 2 Cup winners coming from the south I don't think it was a good idea to expand down there. Desert Dog- what do you guys draw in Az? Is there any "native" fan base there? I am curious....

I still believe that moving to Phoenix is going to hurt the NHL in the long run. Unless that team can win 3 Cups in a row, there's no way the fans stay around; regardless of the new arena. That franchise was better off losing money in Winnipeg where at least the fans came out and supported the team no matter what.

My take on the Kansas City thing is that it's probably not a GREAT idea to move there. But, if they can play there rent-free in a brand-new arena and draw fans, those people are gonna get to see a really good hockey team. Who knows? Maybe they pull a Colorado and win the Cup their first year out there. That'd basically secure a fan base for a looong time.

I like the Seattle option more than most because it would create great natural rivalries with Vancouver(especially), Calgary and Edmonton.

I like the Seattle option more than most because it would create great natural rivalries with Vancouver(especially), Calgary and Edmonton.

Yeah- the more I think about it, the more I like the west coast (Seattle or Portland) for a new NHL team. The support is already there and you are right- there would be some great rivalries already waiting.

Yeah- the more I think about it, the more I like the west coast (Seattle or Portland) for a new NHL team. The support is already there and you are right- there would be some great rivalries already waiting.

I believe Seattle and Portland are quite content with their respective T-birds and W-Hawks. You never hear those cities thumping their chests for an NHL franchise, so as far as 'support being there', what do you mean?

Yeah but you really can't compare a city that has a CHL junior franchise to the potential one could have with a professional NHL franchise. If the NHL would put a team in Seattle, I think it would really flourish. I guarantee the majority of hockey fans there are Vancouver fans and given the opportunity, would be absolutely thrilled to cheer for an AMERICAN hockey team in the Pacific Northwest.