eBay version 3.0

Brilliant!

That's not really a "problem". That's someone being in the right place, right time and seeing the opportunity to make some money. As with many things, you snooze, you lose. RCS selling the jerseys for cheap doesn't give you a "right" to purchase it at that price. If someone gets there before you, you missed the deal.

Edited by mfitz804

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did I say it was wrong or illegal? It just becomes a problem for genuine buyers who in interested in the item/product for their personal use.

I never used the word illegal...

And I took "problem" to mean "wrong"... my bad I guess.

That's not really a "problem". That's someone being in the right place, right time and seeing the opportunity to make some money. As with many things, you snooze, you lose. RCS selling the jerseys for cheap doesn't give you a "right" to purchase it at that price. If someone gets there before you, you missed the deal.

That's what I was trying to say too, lol.

That's not really a "problem".

Sure it is. You are manipulating the market in order to achieve profits that you would never have had a chance at without the sale existing in the first place.

That's someone being in the right place, right time and seeing the opportunity to make some money. As with many things, you snooze, you lose. RCS selling the jerseys for cheap doesn't give you a "right" to purchase it at that price. If someone gets there before you, you missed the deal.

So the owner of a Best buy can camp out in front of an apple store and buy everything they got and re-sell at his price at his store once the competition has been eliminated and that is okay with you? You guys are defending a business concept that is regarded are sneaky at best and outright unfair in most circumstances.

I never used the word illegal...

And I took "problem" to mean "wrong"... my bad I guess.

I guess I took "wrong" to mean "illegal", my bad.

Sure it is. You are manipulating the market in order to achieve profits that you would never have had a chance at without the sale existing in the first place.

So the owner of a Best buy can camp out in front of an apple store and buy everything they got and re-sell at his price at his store once the competition has been eliminated and that is okay with you? You guys are defending a business concept that is regarded are sneaky at best and outright unfair in most circumstances.

The thing is... YOU are the one who defines it as "sneaky" and "unfair." I just don't agree with that at all. There may be some who would agree with you, of course, but you seem to be generalizing the statement as if me and fitz are against the "popular opinion" which may not be the case.

They're not cheating anyone, so I don't see how its unfair. Everyone has the same opportunity of stumbling upon the deal. If someone has the money to fund a major purchase in order to make a profit, then that's still fair. Just because they got there first doesn't make it unfair.

Its like Stanley Cup Finals tickets. If you can buy a bunch of them for resale, its no "unfair" or "sneaky."

Edited by dsl135

lol yes it is.....you are intentionally depleting a merchants stock knowing that anyone else will have no choice but to buy at what you dictate the price to be. Being first in line doesn't give you the right to hijack the market. That is everything that is wrong with capitalism and it seems that you are discussing this from the perspective of someone who makes profit this way...of course you are going to defend your methods but please try having an ounce of perspective.

Like our last exchange it seems you see nothing wrong with monopolizing or price fixing. Nothing more to be said really.

Edited by Of Senators and Kings

lol yes it is.....you are intentionally depleting a merchants stock knowing that anyone else will have no choice but to buy at what you dictate the price to be. That is everything that is wrong with capitalism and it seems that you are discussing this from the perspective of someone who makes profit this way...of course you are going to defend your methods but please try having an ounce of perspective.

Like our last exchange it seems you see nothing wrong with monopolizing or price fixing. Nothing more to be said really.

Its actually quite funny that you tell anyone else to have an ounce of perspective when you have none. Your grasp of business practices is non-existent.

Like our last exchange, you've proven that you just want whatever you want at whatever price you want it and how dare anyone charge more than that. Retail price is not "price fixing or monopolizing" no matter how much you want to whine that someone makes a profit off of you.

Almost everyone on here said they see nothing wrong with buying these to re-sell, and several other people admitted they did so. Just cuz you recently had a disagreement with me doesn't mean your whining and moaning is going to affect me now, either.

We're done discussing things from this point on. As you said, "nothing more to be said."

Edited by dsl135

The tickets are a different scenario, as depending on your location, re-selling them for a profit may well be illegal. Not so with jerseys.

I don't consider buying at a discount and selling for a profit as being price fixing, manipulation of the market, etc. You have the right to buy whatever a merchant has for sale for whatever he is asking. Once you do, you have the right to sell them for a profit (exceptions like tickets being illegal notwithstanding).

Your position comes across as someone who is bitter that they missed the deal. I haven't paid enough attention to remember if you bought one or not, but the position you have taken is akin to "no fair, I wanted to buy one cheap!"

How unreasonable of me for wanting genuine buyers to have priority over re-sellers. Also you do not dictate when and where conversation ends or begins, you only control when and if you decide to leave it. Nothing I have said has been remotely incorrect and there are laws in place that reflect my view point.

dsl, from what I see you must be conscious of how unfair these dealings are, since whenever I say a word about "pricing", sure enough you are there with a huge chip on your shoulder ready to duke it out because you are so horribly intolerant of any opinions that reaffirms your own apparent insecurities. You seem rattled to say the least.

also,...lol so if I bought one my argument would suddenly be valid? Yeah, just dismiss anyone away as being "bitter" when their common sense rings truer that your private ploys at enterprising. Are you guys for real?

The tickets are a different scenario, as depending on your location, re-selling them for a profit may well be illegal. Not so with jerseys.

I don't consider buying at a discount and selling for a profit as being price fixing, manipulation of the market, etc. You have the right to buy whatever a merchant has for sale for whatever he is asking. Once you do, you have the right to sell them for a profit (exceptions like tickets being illegal notwithstanding).

Your position comes across as someone who is bitter that they missed the deal. I haven't paid enough attention to remember if you bought one or not, but the position you have taken is akin to "no fair, I wanted to buy one cheap!"

Completely agree with everything you said.

How unreasonable of me for wanting genuine buyers to have priority over re-sellers. Also you do not dictate when and where conversation ends or begins, you only control when and if you decide to leave it. Nothing I have said has been remotely incorrect and there are laws in place that reflect my view point.

dsl, from what I see you must be conscious of how unfair these dealings are, since whenever I say a word about "pricing", sure enough you are there with a huge chip on your shoulder ready to duke it out because you are so horribly intolerant of any opinions that reaffirms your insecurities.

also,...lol so if I bought one my argument would suddenly be valid? Yeah, just dismiss anyone away as being "bitter" when their common sense rings truer that your private ploys at enterprising. Are you guys for real?

Yup, he's bitter. Edited by mfitz804

Always a pleasure discussing with you gentlemen.

Last month I bought an authentic Mighty Ducks jersey for $7, seller had really no clue. Then I sold it for $120 and added that to my funds to purchase a Blackhawks gamer. Wrong? Hell no. Winning? Yes sir!

Edited by amonte78

Last month I bought an authentic Mighty Ducks jersey for $7, seller had really no clue. Then I sold it for $120 and added that to my funds to purchase a Blackhawks gamer. Wrong? Hell no. Winning? Yes sir!

My greatest flip was a white liberty for $45. That sucker went for $550 on eBay!

My greatest flip was a white liberty for $45. That sucker went for $550 on eBay!

Well hello! That's awesome! :)

Never seen so much butthurt in a while. Who cares what someone does with their jersey that they spent their own money on? Dude even justified it (which he didnt have to) by saying he is helping pay for college materials (books, beer, food that isnt ramen noodles). I see it no different than someone who buys stocks at a low price and sells high.

Of sens and kings i get wanting things at what one considers a good price or even a steal but those opportunities dont happen every day. Besides markup is a part of every business. Do you go and make a stink to a movie theater manager for charging $11 for popcorn when the massive bags of seeds costs maybe $20 at best? No. You either buy said popcorn knowing that concessiond are how movie theaters thrive or you dont because you dont want to pay the price.

My tidbit of advice.....dont get into magic the gathering. Secondary market for those cards are insane and prices rise and drop like a stock exchange.

Never seen so much butthurt in a while. Who cares what someone does with their jersey that they spent their own money on? Dude even justified it (which he didnt have to) by saying he is helping pay for college materials (books, beer, food that isnt ramen noodles). I see it no different than someone who buys stocks at a low price and sells high.

Of sens and kings i get wanting things at what one considers a good price or even a steal but those opportunities dont happen every day. Besides markup is a part of every business. Do you go and make a stink to a movie theater manager for charging $11 for popcorn when the massive bags of seeds costs maybe $20 at best? No. You either buy said popcorn knowing that concessiond are how movie theaters thrive or you dont because you dont want to pay the price.

My tidbit of advice.....dont get into magic the gathering. Secondary market for those cards are insane and prices rise and drop like a stock exchange.

Where can I buy popcorn seeds???

I think a lot of people are missing my point. I never condemned KG or even dsl. I brought up a hypothetical where someone buys the entire stock and resells for the same or more. Basically the result being no genuine buyers benefit from the sale. Suddenly people started defending that kind of behavior, reason for which I don't know why.

Almost everywhere you go, whenever there are lucrative deals, there are limits per person/customer to protect not only the customers of the merchant but the merchant itself. If this would have happened to RCS (not saying that it did because a bunch of people managed to get a hold of the sale jerseys) I would blame RCS for not putting a limit on these jerseys per customer and they should blame themselves too.

This sort of thing happens all the time around Christmas with electronics, limited run clothing, other assorted goods which are high in demand. Both the original seller and their customers are the losers here, that means there are enough people upset and dissatisfied to rule this kind of monopolized flipping as wrong and unfair.

Price manipulation is an illegal practice when we talk large companies and industries, yet people seem fine with the core concepts when we're talking jerseys.

Price manipulation is an illegal practice when we talk large companies and industries, yet people seem fine with the core concepts when we're talking jerseys.

I bet the price of stuff you're smoking is manipulated as well

Edited by amonte78

Almost everywhere you go, whenever there are lucrative deals, there are limits per person/customer to protect not only the customers of the merchant but the merchant itself. If this would have happened to RCS (not saying that it did because a bunch of people managed to get a hold of the sale jerseys) I would blame RCS for not putting a limit on these jerseys per customer and they should blame themselves too.

This sort of thing happens all the time around Christmas with electronics, limited run clothing, other assorted goods which are high in demand. Both the original seller and their customers are the losers here, that means there are enough people upset and dissatisfied to rule this kind of monopolized flipping as wrong and unfair.

You have to be seriously naive to think stores are doing it to protect customers. They have limits on sale items because they are using them to lure as many customers to them as they can to buy their other overpriced/high-margin junk. Many doorbuster electronics are actually barebones versions of the good stuff to begin with, with the specific purpose of getting you in the store so they can shove as many high-margin full-priced accessories in your face as possible.

You have to be seriously naive to think stores are doing it to protect customers. They have limits on sale items because they are using them to lure as many customers to them as they can to buy their other overpriced/high-margin junk. Many doorbuster electronics are actually barebones versions of the good stuff to begin with, with the specific purpose of getting you in the store so they can shove as many high-margin full-priced accessories in your face as possible.

Keeping your customers happy is beneficial for continued business. Customer service 101. Not arguing that sometimes "limit per customer" has a marketing side effect when they advertise that there is "LIMIT 1 PER PERSON, HURRY NOW"... but many times it is not advertised but rather fine print and therefore not a marketing ploy. As usual, nice try guam. Any more hyper aggressive retorts or can we put this one to bed now?