DiPietro on waivers

CJ Matthews

Since DiPietro signed his 15 year contract, 247 games missed (injury), 175 games played.

I guess we are seeing the effects of contracts like this. Not always a smart move.

i heard the islanders are pissed because when they told Dipietro he was being put on waivers he tripped over the waiver wire and now he's out 3-4 weeks!!!

LOL! So much win. Well, except for the Islanders, because nobody's going to claim him.

LOL! So much win. Well, except for the Islanders, because nobody's going to claim him.

In the hour I was awake, I heard that joke like 15 times. My favorite one I saw was

"NYI Fans, We don't want Rick DiPietro either. Sincerely, Bridgeport Sound Tiger fans"

So they remove a banged-up awful goalie to make room for an old, rusty once-great goalie?

So they remove a banged-up awful goalie to make room for an old, rusty once-great goalie?

?

The move is to give Kevin Poulin an opportunity to learn from Nabokov. Kevin Poulin (and Anders Nilsson) are the top goalie prospects for the Isles. Anders is hurt, but Poulin is close to making a push for a NHL starting job.

i heard the islanders are pissed because when they told Dipietro he was being put on waivers he tripped over the waiver wire and now he's out 3-4 weeks!!!

:lol: I am not even going to try and top that one.

I doubt it has anything to do with Thomas, they are just burying the contract and making room for someone who has a future.

The Isles have really whiffed on long deals between this and Yashin. Surprisingly, most of the other long deals have worked out well. The Flyers will have to eat Pronger's money and maybe those Red Wings deals will have an iffy year or two but, as a whole, the bloated contract lengths have only really burned the Islanders so far.

The problem with DiPietro is the injuries. If he continued to develop into the goalie he was projected to become (based off his 07/08 All Star season), the contract would have been perfect. He was a young goalie capable of being a top-10 #1 in the league earning a modest $4.5m. Unfortunately, I know a lot of Isles fans think he used steroids (Hill was busted in 06/07, Bates was rumored to have used steroids as well, but I digress). Whether or not DiPietro did steroids, his body broke down. You can see he isnt the goalie he once was and if you have groin/hip/knee injuries as a goalie, there is no way you can play at the NHL level.

Fortunately for the Flyers and Canucks both Bryzgalov and Luongo have remained healthy. Bryzgalov is getting stupid money to be an okay goalie.

The problem with DiPietro is the injuries. If he continued to develop into the goalie he was projected to become (based off his 07/08 All Star season), the contract would have been perfect. He was a young goalie capable of being a top-10 #1 in the league earning a modest $4.5m. Unfortunately, I know a lot of Isles fans think he used steroids (Hill was busted in 06/07, Bates was rumored to have used steroids as well, but I digress). Whether or not DiPietro did steroids, his body broke down. You can see he isnt the goalie he once was and if you have groin/hip/knee injuries as a goalie, there is no way you can play at the NHL level.

Fortunately for the Flyers and Canucks both Bryzgalov and Luongo have remained healthy. Bryzgalov is getting stupid money to be an okay goalie.

I would also agree that Bryzgalov has not lived up to expectations for what he is getting paid. Luongo is also getting some decent $ but he hasn't been the phenom he has supposed to have been. Look at his #s in the playoffs, they are low for what he should be putting up.