Is the Sabres' slug logo a pure result of the initial Edge uniform design?

DasChuck77

It is my understanding that the Sabres' jersey design and styling is the precursor to what will be on the actual edge jersey next year. By that I mean all the vertical hemming and underarm "business" and "action" that is styled on the sleeves. Which I like by the way. And which seems true when you look at the all-star jersey styling.

Larry Quinn was caught saying that Reebok told him the vintange logo or any variant "would not work" with the new design. The rumor was that the edge jerseys were gonna be tucked in, but that was shot down by Reebok or the players association. So is the real reason the Sabres have the slug is because it was the only logo choice that could accomidate tucking in the sweater since it wasn't circular in design?

If that is the case, then the Horned Yellow Phallace that is the Sabres logo could have been scrapped if the whole design process concluded to not tuck in the jerseys sooner?

I want to see the Slabyk logo design on the Edge jersey. That would equal the end of the logo controversy if you ask me.

Wouldn't this a more agreeable solution for Sabres fans who hate the slug but might also think the vintage is a little out-dated? Why couldn't Quinn fight for something like this?

newwe7.jpg

It was my understanding that the Sabres did pick the striping/look of the jersey to conform with the new requirements of the RBK jersey (with or without tucking). I hate the slug as much as anyone but I think with the utter success of the merchandise with the new logo this year, the logo won't be changed and the uni you see this year will be the one for years to come. I recently got my alt jersey in the soon to be termed "old style" and I am happy with that.

It was my understanding that the Sabres did pick the striping/look of the jersey to conform with the new requirements of the RBK jersey (with or without tucking). I hate the slug as much as anyone but I think with the utter success of the merchandise with the new logo this year, the logo won't be changed and the uni you see this year will be the one for years to come. I recently got my alt jersey in the soon to be termed "old style" and I am happy with that.

The teams good play and the bandwagoners are the real cause of the jersey success. I can't fathom those out there that buy a jersey they might not like "just because".

My research also found out that at one point in 1996-1997 the Islander's Fisherman/We want fishsticks jersey was selling as high as 4th in the NHL...That's unbelievable considering it's eventual hate and mockery. It's only a matter of time that the buzz wears off and if in an unfortunate turn of events the Sabres stink up the building every night, we too would see history repeat itself.

My research also found out that at one point in 1996-1997 the Islander's Fisherman/We want fishsticks jersey was selling as high as 4th in the NHL...That's unbelievable considering it's eventual hate and mockery. It's only a matter of time that the buzz wears off and if in an unfortunate turn of events the Sabres stink up the building every night, we too would see history repeat itself.

Those Islanders fisherman jerseys still seem to be big sellers on Ebay. Whenever I have come across them in the past they have gotten quite a few bids on them. As for the Sabres logo, I've heard that theory before and there could be something to it. With that being said, it still baffles me with the uproar they had over that logo that they continued on with it.

Those Islanders fisherman jerseys still seem to be big sellers on Ebay. Whenever I have come across them in the past they have gotten quite a few bids on them. As for the Sabres logo, I've heard that theory before and there could be something to it. With that being said, it still baffles me with the uproar they had over that logo that they continued on with it.

Well these things have to be decided many months in advance in order to completely change over the product line with the various wholesellers. By the time the logo was leaked it was probably too late in the production process to stop things. Not that they would have anyways. Part of the reason that merch sales have been through the roof is the great team play over the last 2 years but also its due to the scarcity of the jerseys. They didn't make enough which only increased demand. Once the jerseys are plentiful and after the end of this season we will see how the jersey fairs.

It is worthwhile to point out that everyone in the Sabres org has said that if the Sabres have a chance to win the Cup, they will be in the alt old school blues not the new uniform. If the Sabres win the Cup (knocking on wood) I would also guess it would be the old school logo on the flag. What does that say about the new logo that they don't want it associated with perhaps the first championship in Buffalo sports history?

Good Lord would I be embarassed and disgusted if the Sabres raised the slug to the rafters if they won the Stanley Cup.

The front office should know better than that...

But they should have known better than to come up with that slug...

Well these things have to be decided many months in advance in order to completely change over the product line with the various wholesellers. By the time the logo was leaked it was probably too late in the production process to stop things. Not that they would have anyways. Part of the reason that merch sales have been through the roof is the great team play over the last 2 years but also its due to the scarcity of the jerseys. They didn't make enough which only increased demand. Once the jerseys are plentiful and after the end of this season we will see how the jersey fairs.

It is worthwhile to point out that everyone in the Sabres org has said that if the Sabres have a chance to win the Cup, they will be in the alt old school blues not the new uniform. If the Sabres win the Cup (knocking on wood) I would also guess it would be the old school logo on the flag. What does that say about the new logo that they don't want it associated with perhaps the first championship in Buffalo sports history?

Thanks for clearing up that production process thing, I was not aware of how that worked exactly. I just remember the Islanders switching away from the fisherman logo for a few games in 96-97 before completely changing back to the NY Islanders circle logo.

I had heard that about the old school blues for the Cup, now are those supposed to be the home jerseys throughout the playoffs, or just for the Cup finals? That would be really cool if they do go on to win the Cup to see them do it in the same logo that Perreault, Robert, Lafontaine, Mogilny, and Hawerchuk, et al., wore.

Basically, I don't think there's a person out there who bought the new jersey FOR the logo, and thus I don't think there's a person out there who has bought the new jersey that wouldn't have bought the one Dachuck proposes. However, I think a lot of the people who have resisted the new jersey would have ALSO bought the one Daschuck proposes, and thus, I think the one Daschuck proposes would have been even more succesful. I said it much, much earlier in the year in a different thread, I'll say it again; Sabres had the bases loaded with this uniform change. With a chance to hit a grandslam and please everyone, they hit a triple, knocked in 3 runs, and saw huge sales because of it. It's just too bad they couldn't have gotten it perfect, given the opportunity to do so.

<-- MCranex39, by the way.

Basically, I don't think there's a person out there who bought the new jersey FOR the logo, and thus I don't think there's a person out there who has bought the new jersey that wouldn't have bought the one Dachuck proposes. However, I think a lot of the people who have resisted the new jersey would have ALSO bought the one Daschuck proposes, and thus, I think the one Daschuck proposes would have been even more succesful. I said it much, much earlier in the year in a different thread, I'll say it again; Sabres had the bases loaded with this uniform change. With a chance to hit a grandslam and please everyone, they hit a triple, knocked in 3 runs, and saw huge sales because of it. It's just too bad they couldn't have gotten it perfect, given the opportunity to do so.

<-- MCranex39, by the way.

I saw someone wearing a Briere home jersey at a Coyotes game recently and the design of the jersey itself, IMO, isn't bad at all and I've grown to like it, with that being said, the Celsius(?) design with the logo that Daschuck is proposing looks better.

I saw someone wearing a Briere home jersey at a Coyotes game recently and the design of the jersey itself, IMO, isn't bad at all and I've grown to like it, with that being said, the Celsius(?) design with the logo that Daschuck is proposing looks better.

I agree 110%; I love the design of the jersey. I just don't think the logo was a good choice. Like I said, I don't think people are buying the jersey FOR the logo - they're buying it for the overall look. The overall look is a huge success, but it could have been even better, and they could have gotten even more sales, if they'd gone with a great logo as well. Then the people holding out on buying new jerseys, because of the logo, wouldn't be and sales would be even higher.

There it is...A perfect balance between updating the vintage and a logo that very few people would laugh at and ridicule. Simply swap the slug for the Celsius. I can tell you that I would empty my wallet to have an Edge jersey with this design on it instead of the slug.

logo_04.jpg

I agree 110%; I love the design of the jersey. I just don't think the logo was a good choice. Like I said, I don't think people are buying the jersey FOR the logo - they're buying it for the overall look. The overall look is a huge success, but it could have been even better, and they could have gotten even more sales, if they'd gone with a great logo as well. Then the people holding out on buying new jerseys, because of the logo, wouldn't be and sales would be even higher.