The Future of the NHL Jersey Part II

CryWolf

Vote on the planned jersey changes  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the planned changes to NHL jerseys described below?

• These changes sound amazing, and I support them 110%!
    • Overall, the planned changes are a good strategy and will have a positive impact on the game and the fans
    • Overall, the planned changes are a bad strategy and will have a negative impact on the game and the fans
    • These changes are absolutely ludicrous, I am outraged!

Okay, so here is the latest update on where things are going with the NHL jersey of the future. I will only claim this to be rumor and speculation, and do not claim to have heard this from any legitimate source - so read into this whatever you want!

1. The NHL will introduce a new authentic (and replica) jersey for next season (2007-2008)
  2. The new NHL authentic jersey will be a form-fitting jersey (somewhat along the lines of the Swift jersey)
  3. The new NHL authentic jersey will NOT be worn tucked in as previously speculated
  4. The new NHL authentic jersey will use modern technology to decrease weight and minimize drag - by games end, it will weigh on average 4 lbs less than the current authentic jersey when taking into account water absorption throughout the game
  5. The new NHL authentic jersey will NOT have new striping/colors and designs for any team. All teams will carry over their current designs for next season
  6. The new NHL authentic jersey will enable players to wear a smaller size (and tighter fit), while providing more freedom of movement
  7. The new NHL authentic jersey is well supported by the players

So, to summarize, the NHL will be improving the technology and fit of the authentic jersey to allow players to be faster, lighter and more mobile, allowing them to perform to the maximum of their capabilities as elite athletes.

As for the replica jersey, there will be a few changes there too:

1. The current replica jersey will be available only in one color for each team (a dark jersey)
  2. A new replica jersey will be introduced, with a lower value offering than the current replica jersey. The key change will be the elimination of shoulder crests, and downgrading of the chest crest from embroidered twill crest, to a screen print on sewn patch crest.

The feeling is that there is not enough of a perceived value jump between the current replica and the current authentic jersey. So, moving forward, replica jerseys will not look as close to an authentic in terms of quality as they currently do. Meaning, a replica will in fact be a REPLICA not an authentic look-alike with slightly lower quality materials. Not sure where pricing will be on the new jerseys but I'm sure nothing will cost less!

So, please vote in the poll and voice your opinions on the planned changes. I look forward to what the fans have to say!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say - I was in support of the swift jerseys in the olympics and - presented with those facts, I'm going to be supportive of the changes to the NHL and Authentic jerseys until I see a reason not to be. It sounds great for the players, good for the game, and harmless to the fans. Without any striping/designs changing, what can I complain about? I like the look of the new Sabres jerseys, and I liked the olympic jerseys, how can I be against them simply changing the fit than?

As for the changes to the replicas*... Ouch. If that's true than once the overstock jerseys from the year before are no longer available, I'll have purchased my last replica. End of the story. Replicas were a great, cost effective way to look like you had what the players wear, without having to pay for the weight and quality of materials. I won't buy a jersey that doesn't look like my team's jersey. Fortunately, I prefer authentics anyways.

Wolf, as always, great post and thanks for the info. I know it's just "speculation" but it's good to have a head's up. You have no idea how glad I am to be here, hearing this now, instead of two weeks before the next season.

*Edit: Glaring error. Had the word authentic there which completely changes my response.

Like Mach 9 said, if the information is indeed true, I will have bought my last replica. When the NFL introduced the new EQT Replithentic style, I switched to that as opposed to the screen printed replicas. A friend of mine buys NBA Swingman jerseys instead of replicas also just because of the quality and not liking the screen printed look. The unfortunate thing for me is that due to cost of Authentics that just means I won't be buying as many in the future.

I have a bit of mixed feelings on this subject. Since it affects both the players and the fans, I agree with 'Crywolf' and how the topic should be viewed.

- For the players, it certainly appears as though there will be tremendous upside to the utilization of the new style and technology. Old school is good, but only up to the point where it may impact on the players' performance.

- Regarding the decision to change the replicas, not only in style, but color choices, and potentially quality. Since my opinion is based on the text of this thread, I can not speak on the specifics. However, where I do see a concern is as 'lafountain' has suggested, that fans will be drawn to the authentics and due to costs will be potentially limited in the quanity of purchases.

Limiting the colors is a poor decision, and one that will immediately reduce the available choices by more than 50%. That takes into consideration home, away, and alternates. Styling changes to the crests (shoulder and chest) will cause an appearance differential between the replicas and the authentics. It defeats the purpose of the very label of naming them 'replicas', because they will indeed not be a replica of anything resembling the actual authentic jersey. The perception will be one of a 'cheaper' and lower valued team memorabilia item.

I have a bit of mixed feelings on this subject. Since it affects both the players and the fans, I agree with 'Crywolf' and how the topic should be viewed.

- For the players, it certainly appears as though there will be tremendous upside to the utilization of the new style and technology. Old school is good, but only up to the point where it may impact on the players' performance.

- Regarding the decision to change the replicas, not only in style, but color choices, and potentially quality. Since my opinion is based on the text of this thread, I can not speak on the specifics. However, where I do see a concern is as 'lafountain' has suggested, that fans will be drawn to the authentics and due to costs will be potentially limited in the quanity of purchases.

Limiting the colors is a poor decision, and one that will immediately reduce the available choices by more than 50%. That takes into consideration home, away, and alternates. Styling changes to the crests (shoulder and chest) will cause an appearance differential between the replicas and the authentics. It defeats the purpose of the very label of naming them 'replicas', because they will indeed not be a replica of anything resembling the actual authentic jersey. The perception will be one of a 'cheaper' and lower valued team memorabilia item.

Well said, DC. And welcome. We seem to agree on just about everything with regards to these proposed changes. While all of the modifications to the on-ice jerseys sound great, the plans for the replicas are upsetting. If the jerseys aren't going to look like the authentics, it defeats the purpose of having calling it a replica. You might as well just buy a t-shirt for $20.

The rumor-and-speculation changes to the replicas are deplorable, in my opinion. Effectively getting rid of the replicas and replacing them with cheap knock-offs (and a jersey with less features and an embroidered crest replaced by a dye-patch is a total knock-off, not a "replica") appears to be a money-grab more than anything else; an attempt to sell more of the double-priced authentics than the current replicas.

The gods of hockey merchandising may be overestimating the relevance of hockey in the minds of sports fans. Replacing affordable team memorabilia with cheap copies may serve to do more harm through attrition than good -- I know that I for one would have to stop buying jerseys from retail outlets, or resort to patrolling eBay instead.

... Regarding the decision to change the replicas, not only in style, but color choices, and potentially quality. Since my opinion is based on the text of this thread, I can not speak on the specifics. However, where I do see a concern is as 'lafountain' has suggested, that fans will be drawn to the authentics and due to costs will be potentially limited in the quanity of purchases.

Just to clarify here: They will only be limiting the colors in the current style replica, as it will only be offered in a dark version. I believe they will be offering ALL colors in the lower quality replica jersey. So, in effect, the fan will have the following choices:

1) Entry level quality "new replica" available in White, Dark and Alternate (if applicable)

2) Mid level quality replica available only in Dark version (that's the carry over of the current replica)

3) Hi end quality form-fitting, hi-tech Authentic as worn by the players

The key question will be the price points on these jerseys, as there certainly are options, but a lot depends on the pricing.

Just to clarify here: They will only be limiting the colors in the current style replica, as it will only be offered in a dark version. I believe they will be offering ALL colors in the lower quality replica jersey. So, in effect, the fan will have the following choices:

1) Entry level quality "new replica" available in White, Dark and Alternate (if applicable)

2) Mid level quality replica available only in Dark version (that's the carry over of the current replica)

The key question will be the price points on these jerseys, as there certainly are options, but a lot depends on the pricing.

That does clarify some. I think it will still be viewed as a negative by fans who don't want to pay for authentic quality to get their favorite teams jersey in the style they choose (if it is not the dark jersey), without it being seriously downgraded. I, myself, didn't realize that the current style replicas will be carried over as the dark ones while the lesser ones will be offered in all colors. That does lessen the severity of my earlier response to the replica changes.

That does make it better a bit. Though I will not be buying the "entry level" jerseys, it is probably good for the fan that does want a jersey of some sorts but isn't able to afford the current replicas. I myself will settle for the current style replicas since the darks look better in most cases anyways. I guess if I want a White, then I will have to save up a bit.

This is preposterous. 'Entry level' jersey will be junk and will have all the popularity and possibilty quality of the team-licensed shirts you find at Walmart or Target. They won't deserve the title of 'jersey', just 'oversized shirt with team graphics', maybe. The Coyotes are giving away jerseys on November 16... http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/promotions/g...list_111606.php . I don't know who makes these, but I hope this isn't what Rbk is planning for their entry level product.

The mid-level one sounds like the current semi-pro ones, which would be fine, but excluding the white version is ridiculous.

The authentics, I would have to see and try on. A lot of people won't want form-fitting and probably shouldn't wear anything form-fitting in the first place. :blink:

The jersey is a sacred item and it sounds like it is being in danger of being severely compromised.

This is preposterous. 'Entry level' jersey will be junk and will have all the popularity and possibilty quality of the team-licensed shirts you find at Walmart or Target. They won't deserve the title of 'jersey', just 'oversized shirt with team graphics', maybe. The Coyotes are giving away jerseys on November 16... http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/promotions/g...list_111606.php . I don't know who makes these, but I hope this isn't what Rbk is planning for their entry level product.

The mid-level one sounds like the current semi-pro ones, which would be fine, but excluding the white version is ridiculous.

The authentics, I would have to see and try on. A lot of people won't want form-fitting and probably shouldn't wear anything form-fitting in the first place. :blink:

The jersey is a sacred item and it sounds like it is being in danger of being severely compromised.

I think comparing the new replica to that 'giveaway' jersey and predicting it will be junk comparable to licensed shirts that you will find at Walmart or Target is unfair. The actual jersey, will be the same material and construction as the current replica and team gamewear jersey that is worn on ice by recreational and competitive teams all over North America. So you really think Walmart or Target sells a game quality jersey? As I mentioned, the difference is elimination of shoulder crests, and a screen print ON TWILL CREST(not direct to jersey print like the coyotes picture ). No - it won't have the same cresting as the current replica, but pre-judging it as 'junk' may be a bit harsh.

I think comparing the new replica to that 'giveaway' jersey and predicting it will be junk comparable to licensed shirts that you will find at Walmart or Target is unfair. The actual jersey, will be the same material and construction as the current replica and team gamewear jersey that is worn on ice by recreational and competitive teams all over North America. So you really think Walmart or Target sells a game quality jersey? As I mentioned, the difference is elimination of shoulder crests, and a screen print ON TWILL CREST(not direct to jersey print like the coyotes picture ). No - it won't have the same cresting as the current replica, but pre-judging it as 'junk' may be a bit harsh.

Of course Walmart and Target wouldn't sell a game quality jersey. Perhaps I overreacted to the news a little :o . Thanks for further clarifyication of all this. So you're saying the lower level jersey just has no shoulder crests and a screenprint-onto-twill crest, then. Cool, I still don't plan on buying one of those, to me, they're incomplete. I'm looking forward to seeing the actual new products, if the price is right, I may dabble into one, who knows? ;)

Given the clear-up by Wolf, I don't think this new, lesser quality replica is that bad of an idea. We'll have the authentics for the hard-core fans and jersey collectors, fully detailed with every on ice feature, available in home, away and alternative colors. Then there will be the current generation replica, looking just like the authentics, but made from slightly less genuine materials, crested differently(if I understand correctly), and more affordable, but only available in the times home colors.

Lastly, we'll see these new, even more affordable jerseys, still made from a quality material that is often used on ice, but showing less of the features of an authentic NHL sweater. The absence of shoulder patches, among technical difference (screen printed crests), will be the main difference, yet these more affordable jerseys will make it easier for parents to provide their children with a jersey when they ask for one. It will make the casual fan feel like he can purchase a sweater for the occasional game with the buddies, without breaking his bank. It helps keep fans on lower incomes in the loop by allowing them to pick up a decent looking sweater to support their teams without really going out on a limb.

Assuming these jerseys can be customized (at a lesser price I would assume, more than likely with iron-on lettering?) it makes it easy for those on a budget to show where their allegiances are, and if the authentics remain unchanged (taking into account the overall changes in the NHL's uniforms - unchanged as in, fully identical to what is being worn in the games) and the mid-quality replicas will still be available than I see this as the NHL simply branching out and trying to make it easier for more groups of fans to really get into the game. I'm not sure how successful it's going to be; it will most likely depend on how good these jerseys look and if people will be willing to settle for them, but I have a feeling it'll work out nicely.

The only objection I can see is people wanting mid-quality replicas in all of the teams options, but I don't see that becoming too large a problem unless fans turn out to really dislike their teams home jersey. Perhaps it would serve Reebok to conduct a little research (with the manufacturers help! ... wolf?) to determine which jersey is the most popular seller for each team and make that the one that is available in the mid-quality replica, rather than going with home darks across the board?

The only objection I can see is people wanting mid-quality replicas in all of the teams options, but I don't see that becoming too large a problem unless fans turn out to really dislike their teams home jersey. Perhaps it would serve Reebok to conduct a little research (with the manufacturers help! ... wolf?) to determine which jersey is the most popular seller for each team and make that the one that is available in the mid-quality replica, rather than going with home darks across the board?

I could get on-board with that, if this concept comes to fruition. Referring to the Red Wings, the white jersey is more common in the Detroit area. Given the simple two-color scheme of the Wings uniform, the "home" red is rather dull compared to the "road" white, and one actually sees more of the white jerseys on fans than the red (I'm going to the game tonight, so I'll verify through observation). I believe it just looks better than the nearly-solid red.

The Wild are another example of a dull dark color scheme, with too much of an emphasis on the green rather than using the contrast between colors (maybe use the gold for the shoulder yoke instead of more green) to provide more pop and oomph :). It's why I bought the white jersey for Minnesota.

I could get on-board with that, if this concept comes to fruition. Referring to the Red Wings, the white jersey is more common in the Detroit area. Given the simple two-color scheme of the Wings uniform, the "home" red is rather dull compared to the "road" white, and one actually sees more of the white jerseys on fans than the red (I'm going to the game tonight, so I'll verify through observation). I believe it just looks better than the nearly-solid red.

The Wild are another example of a dull dark color scheme, with too much of an emphasis on the green rather than using the contrast between colors (maybe use the gold for the shoulder yoke instead of more green) to provide more pop and oomph :). It's why I bought the white jersey for Minnesota.

Yeah, the Wild's Home Green jersey was just too much of the one primary color. Not much emphasis on secondary colors. Just like you I liked their road white jersey better and bought that one.

I too have the Minnesota road jersey. Which right off the bat tells me that with all three of us picking white over green, Minnesota is one of the teams manufacturers should take a hint about and not opt to only sell dark replicas for. It seems more profitable to just do a little research first... how hard can it be?

I too have the Minnesota road jersey. Which right off the bat tells me that with all three of us picking white over green, Minnesota is one of the teams manufacturers should take a hint about and not opt to only sell dark replicas for. It seems more profitable to just do a little research first... how hard can it be?

I actually like the Dark Green Jersey for the Wild on the ice. As for owning one of their jerseys, I would probably have to go with the white too, just like everyone else said, too much green and not any contrast to be found.

Now with the Thrashers using the Blue jerseys as their home jerseys, there is a team that I would prefer the White for.

I actually like the Dark Green Jersey for the Wild.

...Freak. :P

Made a slight edit to my post to change that a bit.

Haha, and reaffirmed your sanity.

The white Wild jersey is much better. The Wild's green jerseys are too dark. Blame the sleeve panels being the same color as the jersey, the harvest gold (more like brown) numbers and complete lack of contrast.

Makes ya wonder what will happen when/if the NHL decides to revert back to white jerseys at home. On enough teams, the white jersey is the better looking of the two in the set. I really like the 'semi-pro' jersey, therefore, on the white jerseys, I'm not thrilled about being limited to the choices of either 1) shoulder-crestless replica or 2) authentic.

I really like the 'semi-pro' jersey, therefore, on the white jerseys, I'm not thrilled about being limited to the choices of either 1) shoulder-crestless replica or 2) authentic.

That's the only problem I see with the new plans. Many teams nicer jerseys are not their dark jerseys, as we have just illustrated - perhaps this is a point which Wolf can bring to his upcoming meeting - and many fans who are on a budget (which is simply to say they're not willing to shell out $197 + customization for every new jersey they buy) will want to settle for the less attractive jersey, nor one with less detail and realism, so to speak.

Confirmed at the game last night with Red Wings vs. Sharks. Though strictly anecdotal, there was a visible majority of the white jerseys at Joe Louis Arena. A quick glance at the various sections looked to me like the split was maybe 25%/75% -- 25% wearing the red jersey and 75% wearing white.

I'd also go so far as to say that the majority of the jerseys in the stands were the replicas. Lots of CCM and Starter labels, not so much of the elbow stitching and fight straps. The "hang" of the jerseys on people was just different from an authentic.

A distinct minority wore uncustomized jerseys. Anecdotally, maybe 1 out of every 15 didn't have a name/number attached. Of those that did have customization, the quality differences were evident. Some sport shops just do terrible jobs. But names and numbers were everywhere -- mostly of players no longer with the team :) (Yzerman being the most common, but still plenty of Shanahan, Hull, and a Robitaille, even). I wore my Joey Kocur. Of the current members of the team, Datsyuk and Draper were the most common, with a few Lidstroms scattered about (though none of the new Captain Nick).

So if one night at a Red Wings home game early in the season where 75% of the arena was filled means anything, Detroit prefers the white replica jersey with customization option. :)

Confirmed at the game last night with Red Wings vs. Sharks. Though strictly anecdotal, there was a visible majority of the white jerseys at Joe Louis Arena. A quick glance at the various sections looked to me like the split was maybe 25%/75% -- 25% wearing the red jersey and 75% wearing white.

I'd also go so far as to say that the majority of the jerseys in the stands were the replicas. Lots of CCM and Starter labels, not so much of the elbow stitching and fight straps. The "hang" of the jerseys on people was just different from an authentic.

A distinct minority wore uncustomized jerseys. Anecdotally, maybe 1 out of every 15 didn't have a name/number attached. Of those that did have customization, the quality differences were evident. Some sport shops just do terrible jobs. But names and numbers were everywhere -- mostly of players no longer with the team :) (Yzerman being the most common, but still plenty of Shanahan, Hull, and a Robitaille, even). I wore my Joey Kocur. Of the current members of the team, Datsyuk and Draper were the most common, with a few Lidstroms scattered about (though none of the new Captain Nick).

So if one night at a Red Wings home game early in the season where 75% of the arena was filled means anything, Detroit prefers the white replica jersey with customization option. :)

Great research Crimson - even if not 100% scientific, definitely helps us know what is happening in Detroit. Thanks!

Honestly - I would suggest that ice jerseys encourage the manufacturers to conduct some research and determine which jersey is most popular for each team, before determing which color the semi-pro replica for each will be available in. Instead of being dark across the board, it should just be the most popular.