Canadian Ball Hockey player injures ref, goalie after pummelling

pastadutchie

I saw that yesterday....what a douchebag. I know he won't be but I hope he is banned from playing for the rest of his life.

This was an amateur hockey game and there is no place for that at any level; even in the NHL. When you have refs on top of you and your beating them both up and punching the goalie in the back of the head you have issues.

Well, according to Twitter his captain Terry Ryan stands by him 100%.

The Canadians report the Czech players were spitting at them, chirping, and taunting with seconds left. They were also apparently diving all game with lots of stick work.

If you goad somebody, you're gonna get hit.

As a captain you really have no choice but to defend your players/team. If you go against them you are basically ending your captaincy. I think getting creamed as bad as they did made the guy snap. Especailly the fact they scored late again in the game.

Spitting..doubt it. Refs would eject you on the spot.

Diving..probably. People dive all the time its the refs job to call it not beat on a guy

Stick work...happens all the time. Refs usually call a penalty.

Just a bunch of losers..

Before that guy snaps you can see the Czech player do something which clearly made him snap. Hockey is a physical sport and if its true they were spitting and taunting then they deserve an Arse beating. If there was no taunting, spitting, etc. than that kid needs a mental hospital

It looked like the captain did the right thing by standing up for himself/the team. The goalie should have stayed out of the play. It didn't involve him. The video makes it look worse than it really was because the ref got tied up and looks like he broke his knee or ankle when the goalie fell. I couldn't clearly see the Canada guy hit the ref on purpose.

Ya gotta wonder what he said because it really seemed to set him off. Not going to comment on it other than that. BUT....

Check out the massive flop at 1:15 in the very left of the screen. :lol:

My buddy played in that tournament. He said the ref was on crutches after but only got a sprained knee, not a broken leg. Pretty crazy stuff. That guy will be banned from playing in any competitive ball hockey forever.

That's too bad if he gets a lifetime ban. I can understand some punishment. I can understand how some people may feel, especially those who are not involved with hockey, but if the allegations of spitting and the taunting are true (and I have a feeling they are) I can't blame one guy out of 20+ for snapping when provoked and taunted. Aside from a slap or punch, I can't think of something more disrespectful than being spit on. I also heard the refs didn't understand English, which may have complicated things.

But watch the video and see that the little Czech guy...we'll call him Buddy...he wouldn't shut up. Pender gave him a couple warnings. The Czechs were rubbing an open net goal into the face of the Canadians, which is classless in itself. But then Buddy chirped, and Pender shoved him hard with his right glove. Buddy chirped again, and Pender warned him with a cross check. Buddy continued to chirp!!! Pender swung once at him, and then Buddy still continued to chirp!!!!

TP.jpg

Pender went Canadian apeshiat.

No bigger Czech player came to his aid, except the goalie, which was ridiculous.

No doubt the Czech player deserved what he got. Clearly he kept saying "Look at the score" and pointing to the scoreboard in taunting Pender. But this isn't about what me or you would do and how we would have reacted, it's about what happened. There's a line that you don't cross under any circumstances, and a lot of people would say Pender crossed it. I sympathize with Pender, because I could have played in this tournament and I have to say I'm a bit of a hot headed player at times as well. It could have been me that snapped. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the powers that be came down hard on this guy. We do live in a very politically correct society, and this sort of stuff is frowned upon (surprising eh?).

By the way, Pender is 6'4" 215 lbs. Not sure how many guys on the Czech team could have stepped up to fight him. I suspect most were too shocked to even realize what was happening to try to even help. At least he's owned up to his actions and offered up an apology.

If he was unprovoked, then he had every right to be thrown out. Although, he most definitely was provoked. I've had experience dealing with cheats in amateur hockey. I've been thrown out of games for snapping at opposing players (the trademark Billy Smith butt to the gut) who constantly hacked at our top players shins' and the referees did nothing. If the refs can't handle the game like they should be doing - sometimes you've gotta take the law into your own hands (but take it out on the offenders, not the referee).

i dont know how anybody can watch that and condone the actions of that idiot. I dont care if he was spit on or insulted. After the 3rd punch it was enough. it was really unnecessary to continue pounding the guy half his size. The guy acted like an animal. I played hockey and got into more then a few fights some i was responsible for starting but i never kept punching a guy when he was down or punched a goalie behind the head. The guys is a tool should seek some help for his issues......Ball Hockey? seriously ? Adults fighting over ball hockey ?

Hey don't knock ball hockey. A lot of guys take this quite seriously. Plus, this was the world championships, not just some weekend tournament.