Penguins sign Letang to 8 year / $58 million contract

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with defenseman Kris Letang on an eight-year, $58 million contract extension, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal begins with the 2014-15 season and runs through the 2021-22 campaign, and has an average annual value of $7.25 million.

Letang, 26, is coming off his best season, finishing third in balloting for the Norris Trophy as the best defenseman in the NHL. Letang led all NHL blueliners in both points (t-38) and assists (33) while posting a plus-16 rating and in 35 regular-season games. His 1.09 point-per-game average led all defensemen.

Source

Judging by the comments by many fans on Twitter, I guess I was the only Penguins fan who wanted him resigned. I'm relieved that it's finally happened and now Shero can move on to resigning Dupuis.

Seriously. The more pressing question is: you have Crosby, Malkin, Letang (among others) and you couldn't get to the SCF?

And don't forget fleury too

I'm relieved that it's finally happened and now Shero can move on to resigning Dupuis.

That's done, too.

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/352272168467443712

I'm always confused by the amount of Letang hate. My girlfriend's a Pens fan and can't stand the guy at all.

That's done, too.

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/352272168467443712

I'm always confused by the amount of Letang hate. My girlfriend's a Pens fan and can't stand the guy at all.

Jeez, sorry to hear :P

I have many words that I could use to display my hatred towards Letang, but I'll simply post this gem