The Goon Collection

bobbyp6565

2007-2008 Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre Devils gameworn home training camp-preseason jersey with bloodstains on crest -

001_zps356dd756.jpg

002_zps01f1e1e3.jpg

003_zps90ecb177.jpg

1997-1998 ‘Scary’ Gary Coupal Central Texas Stampede (WPHL) gameworn road jersey – Coupal was banned for life from the OHL, ECHL & UHL (for confusing hockey with baseball and his stick for a bat) during his career and after attending Flyers camp in the late 90’s (and Clarke wanted to keep him in the organization), was banned from the AHL before even playing a game there due to his past antics when the Flyers tried to send him down, thus he was forced to play in the WPHL for a couple years before retiring – Goon with a capital ‘G’ -

005_zps036a21c7.jpg

004_zps81b54d28.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Classic Auctions -

1996-1997 Chris Murray Canadiens gameworn home jersey – light wear

004_zpsf2cf3ee4.jpg

005_zpsf78ce4aa.jpg

1999-2000 Jim Cummins Canadiens game-issued home jersey – Last Game of 20th Century jersey with NHL2000 patch on front; auto’d on left chest

001_zps28245733.jpg

002_zps044d5b0e.jpg

003_zps6c5e3eaa.jpg

That's definitely THE ultimate Goon Collection. Those jerseys in their entirety have probably spend more minutes in the sin bin than on the ice. And you seem to have more blood in your wardrobe than a blood bank :)

Can you maybe tell me when the jerseys started to have a standard fight strap?

Thanks a lot

That's definitely THE ultimate Goon Collection. Those jerseys in their entirety have probably spend more minutes in the sin bin than on the ice. And you seem to have more blood in your wardrobe than a blood bank :)

Can you maybe tell me when the jerseys started to have a standard fight strap?

Thanks a lot

Thanks!

Are you asking when game jerseys started to include a fight strap or when did jerseys start to include the current style of fight strap? If the former, I believe the early 70's is when they became common on game jerseys (from what I've seen). I used to own a couple early 60's gamers and they did not have a fight strap.

The current style of fight strap started in 84-85 changing from the double cloth fight straps in use in the early 80's. In the 70's leather loop fight straps or garter style fight straps were in use.

Thanks bobbyp! Exactly the info I was looking for.

Sorry, but I have one more:

Do you know when NHL teams started to make jerseys available for the fans? And when actually retail authentics started to be available?

Whoever answers this, thanks a lot!!!

Sorry, don't have a clue on that one - I'd assume maybe 60's for jerseys available to fans and 80's for authentics, but really just a guess based on what I've seen. Maybe post this to the main forum here and someone can probably answer it precisely for you -

Just added -

2004-2005 Steve Dix Dayton Bombers gameworn jersey with decent wear & fight damaged collar

001_zps90e1d438.jpg

002_zps392bc889.jpg

003_zps9ef5c606.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2011-2012 Riley Emmerson Utah Grizzlies (ECHL) game worn road jersey – fight damage to neck – lots of popped stitching to right side & back of neck; abundant sweat stains around the neck as well (from opponents hands grabbing jersey during bouts)

007_zps3536afe6.jpg

008_zps98e9cc8a.jpg

d5a82b59-59d3-4c1a-bded-cc874605aa0c_zps

2008-2009 Kevin Harvey Toronto Maple Leafs training camp worn jersey

001_zpsa92430a6.jpg

002_zps330c427f.jpg

2008-2009 Ryan Bast Stony Plain Eagles (ChHL) game worn road jersey – repaired neck; good wear with numerous stick marks & pilling

003_zps8a97eeb4.jpg

004_zpsd373a01e.jpg

006_zps9d0f5ec5.jpg

005_zps3b4fb4cc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1987-1988 Jeff Greenlaw game worn Capitals road jersey – washed out blood stains on left shoulder

001_zps9a7a3bcb.jpg

002_zps854f6397.jpg

003_zps2a8c6ad4.jpg

1995 Terry Shook Motor City Mustangs (RHI) practice worn jersey

007_zpsde5f715f.jpg

006_zpsd45119ad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1997-1998 Matt Johnson gameworn Kings home jersey, Set 1 – shortened sleeves; torn front collar; size 60 Goalie cut; lighter overall wear

004_zps014d7663.jpg

005_zps6fb44a77.jpg

006_zps4fbf15f3.jpg

007_zpsd3681e57.jpg

008_zpsa7b6915a.jpg

2008-2009 Todd Fedoruk gameworn Coyotes 3rd jersey, Set 1 – decent wear for an alternate jersey - numerous board burns on both sleeves

001_zpsd308a755.jpg

002_zps55f2081c.jpg

003_zpscffdc252.jpg

1999-2000 Darin Kimble gameworn Peoria Rivermen road jersey – decent wear; ECHL2000 The New Millennium patch on back hem

003_zpsdb78d5d0.jpg

004_zps4bcb2cc3.jpg

2001-2002 Eric Cairns NYI road jersey, Playoff Set – Cairns played in all 7 Islander playoff games and jersey was tagged (& signed by equipment mgr.) like a gamer, so assuming this was a back-up jersey made up for him, as I cannot find any wear on it and it was acquired as a G/I -

001_zps06f8fce1.jpg

002_zpsdad519d7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite minor league logo of all time - been looking for one of these that fit the collection for many years and finally landed one -

1998-1999 Joey Tetarenko Beast of New Haven gameworn home jersey – decent wear, numerous stick marks, board burns & holes, and fight damage to the neck

005_zps3d5e4d43.jpg

006_zps36c4da19.jpg

007_zps3f5667e0.jpg

008_zps8b757d83.jpg

009_zps5fd3eaa9.jpg

Also added this goon -

2010-2011 Hugh Jessiman Panthers gameworn home jersey, Set 2

003_zps3823b0bd.jpg

004_zps1e982b90.jpg

1997-1998 ‘Scary’ Gary Coupal Central Texas Stampede (WPHL) gameworn road jersey – Coupal was banned for life from the OHL, ECHL & UHL (for confusing hockey with baseball and his stick for a bat) during his career and after attending Flyers camp in the late 90’s (and Clarke wanted to keep him in the organization), was banned from the AHL before even playing a game there due to his past antics when the Flyers tried to send him down, thus he was forced to play in the WPHL for a couple years before retiring – Goon with a capital ‘G’ -

Everything about that story and that jersey screams WPHL. I don't know if you've read 'Zamboni Rodeo' before, but it's basically 240 pages of stories on that level. Definitely worth picking up.

Edited by LongDistanceHeart

Something that interests me, is how you pick your jerseys/players for the collection. Do you choose by PIM, number of fights or soemthing completely different? Asking because it's somehow a thin line between a hard player, an enforcer and a complete goon.

And, do then specificly track down that certain player or do you simply buy whatever goonish pops up?

Thanks!!!

Everything about that story and that jersey screams WPHL. I don't know if you've read 'Zamboni Rodeo' before, but it's basically 240 pages of stories on that level. Definitely worth picking up.

I have not read it - I'll need to find it -

Thanks for the heads-up -

Something that interests me, is how you pick your jerseys/players for the collection. Do you choose by PIM, number of fights or soemthing completely different? Asking because it's somehow a thin line between a hard player, an enforcer and a complete goon.

And, do then specificly track down that certain player or do you simply buy whatever goonish pops up?

Thanks!!!

I have a list of 30 players I truly collect and then another list of enforcers/goons for which I don't yet have a gamer in the collection and would like to add. For those players I collect, I have multiple jerseys in many cases unless cost prohibitive like Probert where I've only been able to land a single gamer. For the others, I want to eventually have most if not all of the fighters from the late 80's through 90's represented in the closet - currently have 165 different enforcers/goons amongst the 200+ gamers in the closet.

I typically see what's available and try to get a jersey that best represents that player (active year, team for which he played many years, etc.) and has some character to it as well - damage, blood stains, customizations, etc. - sometimes I have to settle for a 'lesser' jersey if that's all that is available and when a better one comes along, I'll upgrade and try to flip the 'lesser' one. The 2,000 career NHL PIM's listing, currently containing 55 players and probably never to see another player added to it considering the state of the current game, is what drives any acquisitions for those players that were not true goons but might have been more of a hard-edged player that fought a bunch, such as Luke Richardson.

Thanks for the insight! And yes, aside from some minor exceptions the era of the goon is definitely over. Still the entire topic is really, really interesting. In some past cases also very tragic and sad, but really thrilling.

Hope to find a Derek Boogard jersey one day. Doesn't matter if gamer or only retail authentic. Your Cougars Boogaard is awesome as many of the other jerseys.

Best wishes and please keep on posting stuff!

Thanks for the insight! And yes, aside from some minor exceptions the era of the goon is definitely over. Still the entire topic is really, really interesting. In some past cases also very tragic and sad, but really thrilling.

Hope to find a Derek Boogard jersey one day. Doesn't matter if gamer or only retail authentic. Your Cougars Boogaard is awesome as many of the other jerseys.

Best wishes and please keep on posting stuff!

Definitely agree - only watched a couple games this year - not the same game anymore!

Thanks - Boogaard jerseys aren't as plentiful as they were a few years ago and a gamer is well into four figures if you can even find one - I searched for a long time to find first a practice jersey (since flipped) and then the Cougars jersey, which is one of the cornerstone jerseys in the collection. I was luckily able to land one of his game used (& auto'd) sticks as well as a pair of his game used mitts (both from his days in Minnesota) shortly before he passed and the prices on those items went through the roof. Definitely one of my favorite players of all time!

More to come in the coming weeks - thanks -

2014-2015 Jared Boll game worn jersey, Home Set 1 – jersey has a reinforced neck, custom/tightened sleeves and the 2015 All-Star game patch & “A” on the front. Worn in fight vs. Chris Thorburn.

I originally pre-ordered the Road Set 1, which saw action in multiple fights and was torn in the November fight against Zac Rinaldo – figured it would have a nice Frankenstein repair to it. When that jersey arrived @ Meigray, they called to tell me it arrived in two separate pieces. The damage to it from the Rinaldo fight was even worse than I’d seen from the fight video and obviously too extensive to repair, so they ‘retired’ it. I decided to pass on it and switched to the home instead – less wear and obviously far less damage, but at least its in one piece -

001_zps5a01920d.jpg

002_zps847aabd0.jpg

005_zps3772120e.jpg

004_zps20d6e0a8.jpg

003_zps07cabee9.jpg

1990-1991 Basil McRae Minnesota North Stars gameworn Home Set 1 – customized skate lace fightstrap, ‘A’ on front and very solid wear – 7 sewn repairs to left sleeve (5 material-backed), 3 sewn repairs to right sleeve, numerous stick marks & unrepaired holes and lots of filth/staining around neck from being grabbed during fights -

001_zpscc8f4cee.jpg

002_zps1cbf16bd.jpg

003_zpsfaeb4bec.jpg

004_zps35e38416.jpg

005_zpse3e9c57e.jpg

006_zps83d90ca4.jpg

2009-2010 Mike Brault Pont-Rouge Lois Jeans (LNAH) gameworn home jersey – light wear; fight damage/repairs to neck; repositioned fight strap – Brault was the most prolific fighter in history with 617 career fights (and 4,175 career PIM’s) in only 453 career games -

010_zps0d9b69ae.jpg

011_zpsf907f89a.jpg

012_zps489300fc.jpg

2009-2010 Garrett Klotz Flyers gameworn Home, Set 1 jersey – worn during training camp and in PS fight vs. Washington’s Joe Finley – light wear; some damage to back of neck from the fight –

007_zpsa7de4cdb.jpg

008_zps38f6fd0a.jpg

009_zps900e8be4.jpg

Would McRae's fight strap be legal today? I remember reading in Bob Probert's book about how the league cracked down on fighters modifying their sweaters heavily in the mid-90's. Don't really have enough background in gamers to know though.

Edited by LongDistanceHeart

Would McRae's fight strap be legal today? I remember reading in Bob Probert's book about how the league cracked down on fighters modifying their sweaters heavily in the mid-90's. Don't really have enough background in gamers to know though.

Yes, fighters still use skate laces today - if you scroll back to page 4 of this thread, the 10-11 Erskine Caps jersey has one he used as a front fight strap. Shawn Thornton uses the same set-up. Other modifications such as shortened sleeves, tightened sleeves, double fight straps or triple fight straps were still used in the last few years. The league did require fight straps be utilized and not cut out/removed (Rob Ray rule) in the mid-90's and did outlaw the breakaway velcro sleeves John Kordic and Kevin Maguire used in the late 80's, so maybe that was what was referenced?

• 4 weeks later...

1994-1995 Pierre Morin Victoriaville Tigres gameworn road jersey with fight damage to the front of the neck and heavy pilling to the back of the neck and ends of both sleeves – career minor league goon with 4,197 PIM’s & 328 fights in 618 career games!

001_zpsqr1joeqw.jpg

002_zpseggzotrw.jpg

004_zpss1msun9e.jpg

003_zpss8qdygql.jpg

2011-2012 Frazer McLaren gameworn Sharks home jersey with front fight strap added

005_zpssfx4ovyt.jpg

006_zpsini6u1bz.jpg

007_zpsb2kzolfc.jpg

There's so many! Do you also happen to own a small island? :)