There's probably been about 100 of these....

Phil the Thrill

So I sold a guy a jersey on eBay. Ship it to him and get a response saying the jersey is a knockoff. Anyone who purchases off me knows my stuff is legit.

Dear p-kessel81,

Hey p-kessel81,
I received my jersey in the mail and I'll have to say that I'm very disappointed. It's not even CLOSE to a 56, and I have my doubts as to its authenticity or not. The stitching tells me it's one of those "Chinese Authentics."

I'd like to return the jersey for a refund.

Thank you.

- mm8810

Here is the original listing. I expect him to file with eBay. What measures can I go through to prove that the jersey is authentic.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290940853053

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot pictures of the strap, the NHL shield, the lettering, and anything you can think of that you can put side-by-side with a game-worn or team stock 1.0 shirt. And be sure you can describe the difference between a real and a fake. It's usually screamingly obvious. As for the sizing, the buyer should be better informed or at least willing to ask about measurements. All 56-size shirts are not built the same.

I don't have any close ups. I'm not taking a refund because truthfully, he could send anything back to me. Plus I'd be out for shipping.

Wonder if the guy was just trying to pull a fast one all along...I bet he has a knockoff and is hoping you'll accept a refund so he can send you the knockoff and keep your legit jersey.

If he files with eBay you're essentially screwed. You need to prove what you sent to him is authentic even if you could document it, eBay "doesn't accept documents" because they "could be fake". He probably will send you back a knockoff, because he absolutely has nothing BUT fakes in his possession. Looking at his history as a seller and the feedback he's left for others, he's sold a ton of fake jerseys.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Michael-Vick-BLACK-Philadelphia-Eagles-Jersey-Size-KIDS-MEDIUM-/171044270450

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Michael-Vick-Green-Philadelphia-Eagles-Jersey-Size-50-/171044260871

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Alex-Rodriguez-Authentic-YANKEES-MLB-jersey-size-52-XL-2009-WS-Patch-/171044286727

Listings that no longer have links because they're old are here, he's sold all of the following as well:

iconPos_16x16.gif Great thanks 15-Dec-12 12:56 Cliff Lee Philadelphia Phillies Home Jersey size 60 (#170939462554) US $25.00 iconPos_16x16.gif won auction on saturday night received the item on tuesday A++++ service 11-Dec-12 18:41 Claude Giroux Philadelphia Flyers Jersey size 56 (#170953522382) US $122.50

I'd bet ANYTHING that those Giroux's because they sold so cheap, except for the one that looks like a bidding war went on. That obviously means he's got a supply of knockoffs and he knows what a fake vs real jersey looks like.

Here's another screenshot, I had to edit my post because it wouldn't let me add all this:

iconPos_16x16.gifGreat Jersey. Shipped very quickly.

28-Jun-12 15:37 Philadelphia Flyers 2012 Winter Classic Claude Giroux Jersey Size 56 (#170838623915)US $61.00 iconPos_16x16.gifawesome item easy transaction

rc7476 ( 121iconTealStar_25x25.gif)

23-May-12 13:27 Philadelphia Flyers 2012 Winter Classic Claude Giroux Jersey Size 56 (#170838624934)US $66.51

Brutal. I'm screwed. I told him to come here to get the jersey checked out. Based on his feedback, that isn't going to happen.

So he's selling your "fake" jersey after making up stories about the authenticity of it.. What a POS.

Write down that listing number too. If he tries to pull the listing to report it as fake to get a refund you can say that he was selling it as 100% legit himself.

I think that he's selling it is great news for you, assuming you can get it touch with the right people at eBay.

(1) You have documented photo evidence that he got the jersey you pictured in your listing and didn't pull some kind of switcheroo.

(2) He calls that very jersey "100% AUTHENTIC" meaning his claims of it being a knockoff are wrongful.

(3) He acknowledges that it's a size 56 in the listing.

(4) There's even a picture of the interior fight strap attachment, giving additional credence to the authenticity.

Did he actually put in a claim of it being fake or did he just threaten you of it being fake?

Did he actually put in a claim of it being fake or did he just threaten you of it being fake?

He hasn't filed a claim. I'm just taking any safety measures. Don't need this s*** to escalate.

I don't think it will but just keep everything documented and you should be ok. Since he says it runs a little small, apparently he's clueless that edges run smaller that traditional cut jerseys and he's been dabbling in fakes for too long since fakes run old sizing cuts to newer jerseys.

eBay will almost always side with the buyer. Your best bet is to keep all of the information/pictures/messages documented. Calling eBay wont be of much help, when i was running into my listings being removed by Adidas Counsel i called eBay every time to explain my side. Every phone call they told me I was safe and my account was no longer suspended, every time it was suspended the full 7 day period. They are useless when it comes to actually helping over the phone.

For future reference, i would take a minimum of 5 pictures for every single jersey you list. Fight strap, stitching, logo, numbers, mesh underarms, back vector/wordmark, front, back etc. It doesnt hurt to have too many pictures, it hurts to have too few pictures.

This guy's stupidity in listing the jersey right after he got it, and calling it "100% authentic" and "awesome," has actually done PhilTheThrill a favor and gives him everything he should need to win this dispute, if it comes to that. If eBay can't see that, then they're even stupider than I give them credit for. Good luck, man.

I could understand not being happy with the size, but that's his problem. He should have asked, but claiming the jersey is fake because you don't like the size? Ok bro.

This is huge for you man. You now have evidence that he lied to you in your message, if he tries anything. He publicly acknowledges receipt of YOUR jersey, and its authenticity. He'd be braindead to try and pull something on you now.