Sharks New Jerseys

dsl135

The Sharks unveiled their "Next Wave" home and away jerseys today...

Home:

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=91306

Away:

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=91307

Almost all of the orange is gone (to the point that leaving the one stripe on the arms looks horrible in my opinion).

And removing the shoulder yokes makes it look really stupid to reuse the logo there now.

These suffer from the same problem the Oilers had before... They look too plain. Like practice jerseys.

I get that they had some complaints that it was too busy, but they went way too far in the other direction now.

I think they both look too plain... I thought I would have liked the pure teal home jersey, but I don't.

In other news, you can pre-order jerseys on their site. Authentics also available for a cool $275.

and the offseason of "meh" jersey reveals continue. Wish they would do away with the numbers on the front. I like the home one alot more though.

Get rid of the orange alltogether, bring back the stripes on the lower body, too plain without. Numbers on the front look goofy to me and lead to them putting anny patches on the sleeve, which is poor form. Can you imagine how busy Thornton's jersey would be if they made the finals? I have a pet peeve against using the same logo on the shoulders as your team crest. Why not go back to some sort of a fin logo like their originals?

DSCN1203.jpg

The Sharks jerseys have gotten progressively worse over the years.

Edited by slimcutta
Apparently some people are sensitive to making comments about the Bay area...

Throwing something out there that has yet to be mentioned...

I see this move, along with others (Carolina), as a step towards opening up space on jerseys to put corporate sponsorship logos like European teams have. The NHL/NHLPA needs to increase revenue and this is likely the next step towards it.

It looks like the "trend" in NHL uniforms is to be sleek, with a few stripes. Look at Dallas and Carolina's new uniforms.

I like the previous Sharks uniform a lot better. They have the best color scheme in the league, so it's a shame this jersey is so plain.

I still like it, only because I love the colors and the logo, but it's a step down from their previous uniform. I don't see why they had to change it when nothing was wrong with it.

Their third jersey is good, but I wouldn't mind seeing a really radical third or fourth jersey for the Sharks, with orange as the main base color, and teal, black, silver, and white being secondary. I miss the some times awful, out there, jerseys of the late 90's/early 00's.

Throwing something out there that has yet to be mentioned...

I see this move, along with others (Carolina), as a step towards opening up space on jerseys to put corporate sponsorship logos like European teams have. The NHL/NHLPA needs to increase revenue and this is likely the next step towards it.

I have nothing to base this on, but I would assume that it's more about putting out a jersey that is fashionable for fans to wear casually. All the new jerseys thus far are very sleek compared to their previous incarnations.

There also seems to be a trend towards simple retro jerseys. I think teams are just following what's popular right now, in hopes of increasing their merchandise revenue. The same way that third jerseys got really busy and out there during the 90's, I think the trend now is for original 6 style simple jerseys.

NHL wants to be among the top sports leagues in the US/Canada. None of those other leagues put sponsorships on their uniforms. I doubt they'd allow sponsorships on theirs, as it would make them look inferior when they are already seen as fourth to the NFL, MLB, and NBA in the US.

I actually like these a LOT more than the ones they just got rid of. It would've been much better if they had eliminated the orange completely. The single orange stripe just looks stupid. I don't even mind not having waist stripes. I do think the chest numbers need to be removed also.

I like them too alot better then what they're replacing. Two things I would have done differently are;

1. No numbers on the front (what's the point?????)

2. Use a different shoulder patch (a variation of the original shark fin would have been pimp)

The Leafs had a similar style when the edge jerseys were first used and a lot of peeps thought they were too plan but these have the additional colour on the sleeve stripes and have the added shoulder patches which make them a lot more appealing imho.

I do want to point out, before ripping the jersey continues, is that it was made, with help from the players and trainers to make it a lighter weight jersey, which is why the players preferred the black jerseys. They removed almost all orange (More of a fan request), the waist stripes (removes weight) the shoulder piping/yolk (More weight) and a whole layer off the name/numbers. These werent designed with the purpose of being the coolest in the NHL, they were designed to keep their identity, still look good, but primarily be something nicer for the players to wear.

Should have left them as is IMO. The orange thing is just as bizarre as the sabres having grey on their jerseys, dont understand that either.