Getting out of the hobby

Curry1fan

Hey everyone,

I haven't been around in a while even though I have had some new arrivals in the last couple of months, including more luck with picking up some of the WBS specialty jerseys I've long desired. I meant to take pictures and come post but haven't gotten around to it for a few reasons (health issues, lack of time and energy, etc.)

That said, it makes me a little sad to say that I've decided to stop collecting jerseys. I've had a lot of fun doing it for the last 3-4 years, but recently, I decided to move to New York City to better my career prospects. (I work in media and have dreams of working in media relations for a hockey team, but it has yet to pan out, and who knows if it even will at this point. So, I'm considering other areas of media/PR to continue my career, and NYC has a lot of them.) and to get a fresh start in my personal life. It's well-known that in NYC, you don't get a ton of space for the exorbitant rent you pay, even if you save money and share an apartment with people. I don't think the closests are big enough to handle my overflowing jersey collection. :lol:

It's a tough decision because I love my jerseys so much, but this is a move I've thought about and feel like I have to make for my career. I was recently in NYC and went to my company's office to finally meet some coworkers after never meeting them in the three years I've worked at my job. (I have always worked remotely.) I work with a great group of people, and even though their main office is in San Francisco, I feel moving to NYC will give me more in-person interaction with them and help me out with the networking aspect, which in turn, opens more doors.

That said, in the next couple months, I will be here to post my collection for sale and will be doing the same on eBay, talking to friends who might want to buy from me, etc. I am still keeipng a few jerseys, as they have sentimental value to me. For example, I'll be keeping the ones with personalized autographs from the player who signed them, and I will never be giving up my Darcy Robinson Wheeling Nailers jersey, as it doesn't feel right to sell the jersey of a player who passed away and I loved him when he was playing for the AHL Pens. Anyway, whatever ends up not selling I will decide if I am taking them with me (since I'll still have the Islanders, Rangers and Devils in close proximity anyway) or if I am leaving them behind to wear when I come home and attend games.

It's been a lot of fun, and I feel a little down when I am missing out on the Meigray sales or see that the Baby Pens are getting new uniforms and I can't buy the jersey. But at the same time, this move means more to me than some jerseys and I feel if I don't leap now, I'll never get out of Wilkes-Barre, as there's not a lot of opportunity for me and I have no real reason to be here forever.

Keep an eye out on the trading post for when I am ready to go. It's mostly going to be a Penguins fan haven, but maybe some of you will find something else you like.

Good luck in New York. Sometimes a fresh start in a new place makes all the difference, but it can be hard. Hope everything works out for the best for you.

All I can say is best of luck. Im from Hershey originally which is about a .5 ahead of Wilkes-Barre on the opportunity meter. I took a shot and moved to Florida for a new job 5 years ago and it more than payed off. It was pretty intimidating and heck, I dont even work for that same place anymore but I know what you mean, you just gotta go for it.

Unless you need to sell jerseys to fund your move, HANG ON TO THEM!!! You will regret everything you sold 5 years from now. I sold some 10 years ago to pay some bills and I regret it every day. I wish I could have found another way to pay the bills back then. I near gave my stuff away. Closet space can't be an issue. Jerseys fold up nice and small. Don't aquire any more until you get your stuff straightened out, but DON'T liquidate your collection just yet. We'll all still be here to buy it later if it comes to that.

Sounds like you thought this through- best of luck to you!

Unless you need to sell jerseys to fund your move, HANG ON TO THEM!!! You will regret everything you sold 5 years from now. I sold some 10 years ago to pay some bills and I regret it every day. I wish I could have found another way to pay the bills back then. I ###### near gave my stuff away. Closet space can't be an issue. Jerseys fold up nice and small. Don't aquire any more until you get your stuff straightened out, but DON'T liquidate your collection just yet. We'll all still be here to buy it later if it comes to that.

I agree, and I can't wait to steal your Pens jerseys!

I've been there too, and when push comes to shove, you'll make up the money somewhere else before dipping into something you're so passionate about. You can always find more money, but you know some jerseys only come around once.

I agree, and I can't wait to steal your Pens jerseys!

I've been there too, and when push comes to shove, you'll make up the money somewhere else before dipping into something you're so passionate about. You can always find more money, but you know some jerseys only come around once.

Best of luck in your move, andddd let the fight begin ;)

I agree with the guys above, I wouldn't sell my jerseys unless I absolutely had to in order to finance the move. Being a lifelong NYC resident, I know it gets expensive here but you can just as easily find a place in Astoria or Brooklyn with more space and be 30 minutes from everything. NYC apartments aren't exactly the biggest, but there certainly isn't a shortage of space for jerseys unless you have literally hundreds sitting around. Either way, welcome to my city.

Sad to see our resident WBS Pens expert leaving the hobby, but it sounds like you've got some great opportunities in front of you in NYC.

Let me tell you, as somebody who lives in NYC, that you can most certainly find enough space for 30-40 jerseys. Don't give it up if you enjoy it. Worst case you can fold em and put em in a storage box and put them under your bed. Stick around.

I do enjoy it, but I know when I move I'll be giving up my season tickets to the team here...obviously haha, and I'm not sure if I'll have enough money to get a small plan to the Isles/Devils/Rangers. Part of the reason I was thinking of selling and keeping a few was because I didn't think I'd be going to as much hockey games, plus the money could help because you have to plunk so much down to rent.

Ahhh crap...maybe I should change the topic to "considering leaving the hobby." Can't do that now I guess haha.

I have about 30-40 jerseys in my collection. You guys are making me all reconsider and stuff! Haha.

Good, there's absolutely no reason why you can't find space for 30-40 jerseys in an apartment in this town. I'll gladly volunteer to "store" any Rangers jerseys you might not have room for, and by "store" I mean wear :D - Which reminds me, I'll probably get shot for wearing a Rangers jersey to Newark when I go to games against the Devils. Actually, I'll probably get shot because it's Newark, not because I'm wearing a Rangers jersey.

I do enjoy it, but I know when I move I'll be giving up my season tickets to the team here...obviously haha, and I'm not sure if I'll have enough money to get a small plan to the Isles/Devils/Rangers. Part of the reason I was thinking of selling and keeping a few was because I didn't think I'd be going to as much hockey games, plus the money could help because you have to plunk so much down to rent.

Ahhh crap...maybe I should change the topic to "considering leaving the hobby." Can't do that now I guess haha.

Even if you don't get to as many games you can still wear them to bars, and go to a handful of games a year. It's certainly cheap enough to get into Devils games, and the Islanders AHL team is gonna move down to Long Island within the next few years after the Isles move to Brooklyn. Plenty of places to wear them to. And you'll be closer to the MGG expo! You can go set up a table once a year and show off.