It arrived today v. 7.0.0.0.0.0.0.1

Brilliant!

Guest Dr_Puck

Thanks friendo. The red is really sharp and the jersey is in much better condition than the gamer. It's still weird having a backup goalie shirt for this level of hockey.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks friendo. The red is really sharp and the jersey is in much better condition than the gamer. It's still weird having a backup goalie shirt for this level of hockey.

On the flip side, nobody has ever heard of him nor will they likely ever, so it doesn't matter that much. Is it goalie sized?

Guest Dr_Puck

Good point. The truth of the matter is that aside from one or two late round NHL draft picks (anyone remember former Bruins farmhand Mike Brown?), these guys are mostly anonymous.

The red is an XXL so the prior owner (which was likely the team to sell it) did it right.

I do find it interesting that there's a pro team that uses screen printing. Even my high school's teams used twill crests or sublimation, and that was 20 years ago.

Guest Dr_Puck

I'm having a noob moment. Someone please explain the difference between screen printing and sublimation. How does one tell one from the other?

Screen printing is like plastic stuck to the jersey. Sublimation is when the dye is injected directly into the fabric, so it doesn't look stuck on and it can't peel.

A good example is the old NHL CCM Ultrafil jerseys. The material is one piece, but the jersey has multiple colored stripes. That's sublimation.

So, screenprinted means the stuff in ON the jersey material. Sublimation means it's IN the jersey material.

Edited by mfitz804

Screen printing is like plastic stuck to the jersey. Sublimation is when the dye is injected directly into the fabric, so it doesn't look stuck on and it can't peel.

A good example is the old NHL CCM Ultrafil jerseys. The material is one piece, but the jersey has multiple colored stripes. That's sublimation.

So, screenprinted means the stuff in ON the jersey material. Sublimation means it's IN the jersey material.

The ultrafil (or airknit, or whatever else) usually has knitted stripes. If you look at the edges of the stripe, you'll be able to clearly see it; it's not a straight line, but has a sort of up-and-down border.

Sublimation will feel the same in the sense that the color is part of the fabric, but it will usually have completely smooth edges and go across the actual knit.

If you turn either one inside out, the knit ones will almost always have the inside color exactly the same as the outside. Sublimated will usually be a pale mirror of the outside.

I stand corrected re: the Ultrafil. The in/on analysis is still correct, I believe.

Guest Dr_Puck

Thanks guys, this is helpful. I was in error. The Demonz jerseys, like the Berkshire Battalion's, are sublimated.

Edited by Dr_Puck

Might be because I'm a Devils fan and the colors/logo are reminiscent, but I am digging those Demonz jerseys.

I stand corrected re: the Ultrafil. The in/on analysis is still correct, I believe.

Right.

Of course, this does remind me of the most strangely-constructed jersey I have. It was a solid red jersey. White and black stripes were sublimated onto twill, then sewn onto the jersey. The front of the jersey is a hard vinyl screen print. The shoulder patches have a base layer of twill, then have screened layers. And the name on the back is a thin vinyl, with a layer of twill pressed onto that. And it was used by an AHL team in a game.

Since someone mentioned my 2014 Greene retro night jersey, below are the pics. What's interesting is that the jersey originally had the Reebok vector logo but that was patched over with the wordmark logo. You can see looking inside that the vector is still there and you can actually feel it through the fabric. The born on date label on the inside tag listed it as 2010 so that would make sense. The 2015 retro night jerseys were the same type as the 2014 Stadium Series jersey with the new green/yellow Indo-Edge style neck liner and the softer NHL neck shield.

17899400681_c24ebb83bd_z.jpg

17711031968_7f0c4fe0e0_z.jpg

17711290880_2821a2cbb6_z.jpg

17711031858_8673212172_z.jpg

Carrying around the extra weight of both the vector and the wordmark defeats the whole purpose of the "Edge" jersey, doesn't it? At least that's what Reebok and Gary Bettman told us in 2007.

Carrying around the extra weight of both the vector and the wordmark defeats the whole purpose of the "Edge" jersey, doesn't it? At least that's what Reebok and Gary Bettman told us in 2007.

If that were true, shouldn't guys with 3-4 letter names skate much faster than guys with longer names?

Yeah I doubt that extra half ounce is slowing down a professionally conditioned world class athlete.

Honestly just from holding my edge 2.0's and my pre-edge reeboks, CCM's, etc I find the edge jerseys to be heavier than any of the pre-edge jerseys.

Honestly just from holding my edge 2.0's and my pre-edge reeboks, CCM's, etc I find the edge jerseys to be heavier than any of the pre-edge jerseys.

I think it's because the EDGE jerseys have more give to them, when you hold them the fabric pulls down from the weight of the jersey and customization, making it appear heavier, but it's just gravity. I bet if you weigh them, they are in fact lighter.

Having shipped both in the same size Priority Mail boxes, the EDGE do seem to come out lighter at shipping time.

Marcel goc should be usain bolt like then.

As a Devils fan, it would explain why Bryce Salvador skates like he's on wet concrete.

Don't they teach you kids what sarcasm is in school anymore?

Don't they teach you kids what sarcasm is in school anymore?

NOOOOOOOO, of COURSE they don't....

As a Devils fan, it would explain why Bryce Salvador skates like he's on wet concrete.

Wet concrete may be an improvement at this point. It's like he's using concrete skates with concrete blades on a surface of more concrete, all really dry and rough. He's pretty slow.

Last I heard they were measuring glacial movement in relation to Bryce, considering he is one of the most static entities on the face of the planet.

I don't mean to bring up a few day old topic, but I feel I should clarify @mfitz804. My family owns a business that does silk-screen printing, heat pressing, embroidering and (unrelated) engraving.

Screen printing or silk-screening is the process of transferring ink onto the shirt through a mesh screen. What you described above is actually heat pressing, in which a pre-cut or pre-printed material, usually paper or vinyl, is applied to the shirt using pressure and heat. The commercial version of this is basically a better version of iron-on materials. In my experience I have found that screen printed designs typically last longer than heat pressed ones, though they can still fade over many washes, while the heat pressed designs to crack or peel eventually. In addition, the screen printed ink doesn't have the same thick or plastic-y feel and is usually more flexible and comfortable.

@Nathan's description of sublimation is spot on, as the dyes are actually injected into the fabric of the shirt. Your in/on analysis is quite correct, @mfitz804. I believe sublimated designs will last longer than both screen printing and heat pressing.

EDIT: Sorry, I tried to quote the original post and tag the appropriate parties, but it doesn't look like any of that worked.

Edited by Yuanrang