The Patch Thread 2.0

pastadutchie

There’s a cheaper one here, which I would get if I needed one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-Stanley-Cup-2007-Finals-Patch-National-Hockey-League-Collectibles-NIP-/401572502900

If the Patch Collection one is from National Emblem as they say it is, and it is sealed, then it’s probably legit, but I still have some distrust of them due to things they’ve done in the past.  In any case the ones in the last 2 links are older patches and more likely to be just like the original 2007’s than the ones in the newer packaging, if there is any difference at all.  Will try to explain that further if I can find the time today.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, TheKevinShow said:

Does anyone have an authentic 2007 SCF patch? Is Patch Collection’s legit or repro?

12 hours ago, JJM4 said:

Patch Collection will be a repro...

I am curious about what others think about the terminology used in describing patches.  At least the way I see it, a patch could be “legit” and still be a “repro.”  For example, I would consider National Emblem’s current 1992 SC100 patch to be “legit,” since it is made by the company which is officially licensed by the NHL to produce them.  But it’s still a repro, since it was made 25 years after the originals were produced, and they have enough differences that one can easily tell them apart from originals.  But there’s a bigger gray area when it comes to more recent patches.  The 2007 SCF patch for example, was made by National Emblem back in the day and is still being made by them today.  However, if you were to buy one of those in the new NE packaging from a company like Patch Collection, you’re almost certainly getting a patch that was manufactured very recently, maybe even less than a year ago.  So you could say that the patch is legit but it’s a newer edition, certainly not an “original” from 2007.  So when does a patch, after its original release date, stop being called an “original” and becomes a “repro?”  Immediately after the first edition/batch?  When it starts to look different?  I don’t really know.  In this case however, I couldn’t see any significant difference between the 2007 SCF patch in the Patch Collection’s listing, and the patch used on the gamers.  So the version sold by Patch Collection is “legit,” but is it really a “repro” if it was made by the same company that did the gamer patches, and it still looks exactly the same as the gamer patches?  What do you guys think about this?

Even if the patches in all 3 posted listings look the same, I still recommended the one I posted (or the one posted by JJM4, even if the price is higher), because it is sealed in the older National Emblem packaging, which I believe was used back in the 2nd half of the decade of the 2000’s.  I would think these are leftover stock from way back then, and are more likely to be an earlier (if not original) version of the patch.

On 12/13/2018 at 12:36 AM, LAK74 said:

I am curious about what others think about the terminology used in describing patches.  At least the way I see it, a patch could be “legit” and still be a “repro.”  For example, I would consider National Emblem’s current 1992 SC100 patch to be “legit,” since it is made by the company which is officially licensed by the NHL to produce them.  But it’s still a repro, since it was made 25 years after the originals were produced, and they have enough differences that one can easily tell them apart from originals.  But there’s a bigger gray area when it comes to more recent patches.  The 2007 SCF patch for example, was made by National Emblem back in the day and is still being made by them today.  However, if you were to buy one of those in the new NE packaging from a company like Patch Collection, you’re almost certainly getting a patch that was manufactured very recently, maybe even less than a year ago.  So you could say that the patch is legit but it’s a newer edition, certainly not an “original” from 2007.  So when does a patch, after its original release date, stop being called an “original” and becomes a “repro?”  Immediately after the first edition/batch?  When it starts to look different?  I don’t really know.  In this case however, I couldn’t see any significant difference between the 2007 SCF patch in the Patch Collection’s listing, and the patch used on the gamers.  So the version sold by Patch Collection is “legit,” but is it really a “repro” if it was made by the same company that did the gamer patches, and it still looks exactly the same as the gamer patches?  What do you guys think about this?

Even if the patches in all 3 posted listings look the same, I still recommended the one I posted (or the one posted by JJM4, even if the price is higher), because it is sealed in the older National Emblem packaging, which I believe was used back in the 2nd half of the decade of the 2000’s.  I would think these are leftover stock from way back then, and are more likely to be an earlier (if not original) version of the patch.

I think you'll have the best insight into this but I admittedly have thought of it as repro and original with original only being legit.  That said I collect mainly 90s jerseys so it's a time period where we have the older originals available, but in certain instances you can only sometimes find the newer repros.  I have never equated a repro as 'legit' really for these older jerseys.  For example the repro for the Islanders 25th is quite poor compared to the originals so I'd not consider it legit. 

For collecting and patching newer jerseys it's a bit more murky to me as to what is legit.  I sorta assumed National Emblem is your best bet for patches on newer post 04 lockout jerseys.  So I guess I'd consider NE to be legit patches for newer jerseys. 

The embroidery process is getting better as newer repros can look cleaner and in some cases better than the original so who's to say what's best or most legit I guess.  Like the NHL 75th patch - I prefer the original because, well, it's the original, but someone might prefer a newer well done repro since the embroidery lines will be straighter and look cleaner overall.

Edited by JJM4

Does anyone have a few Blackhawks WWW (Wirtz memorial) patches that they want to move, or do you have a line on one that would be close to accurate?

Thanks

For reference:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NHL-CHICAGO-BLACKHAWKS-MEMORIAL-PATCH-WILLIAM-W-WIRTZ/222804331768?hash=item33e02c4cf8:g:NTMAAMXQ855RusZx:rk:1:pf:0 

4 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Does anyone have a few Blackhawks WWW (Wirtz memorial) patches that they want to move, or do you have a line on one that would be close to accurate?

I’ve always wanted a more accurate version of the patch. Shame the reps are off. I mean, I still have one, but would like a better one 

5 hours ago, aaron.holick said:

Looking for a White Reebok Wordmark on Black Twill Patch. Any help would be very much appreciated!

, just sold a pair of these a few weeks ago 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 12:44 PM, jsh139 said:

Anyone got an original NHL 75th patch they wanna sell me?

PM'd you.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want this?  Stripped it off of an 80's Cooper I guess it would have been practice jersey.  Replica.

The crest itself is kind of velvety.

20190127_183900

Here's the listing I got it from:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Philadelphia-Flyers-Cooper-Sz-M-Hockey-Jersey-Sport-Shirt-/263119628363?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Edited by blurryhaze312

Does anyone have a line on a 1999 Stanley Cup Finals patch?  I'd prefer an original (if they are even available) but an accurate repro is fine.  The one from Patch Collection looks pretty good to me (see below as pictured in their listing for $14.95 USD) but I'm worried about not getting this patch from them.  I think sometimes they have originals pictured, but when the patch comes, it's a not so good repro.  Thanks for any help.  

910819553_1999SCF.png.9addb303548b3dc3cb18ecf7809b2028.png

All I can say is the 99 SCF original patch does come up quite often in my searches. I've bought 2 this past year and have passed on a couple others.  If you're ok with a repro, that one you posted doesn't look too bad, but before buying I'd be sure you're getting what's pictured.  I search patches regularly so if I see one I'll let you know.

Edited by JJM4

OK great!  Yes, please let me know if you come across one.  Thanks for your help and advice JJM4.  I just started looking, so I'll be patient and keep searching on my end too for awhile and see what comes up. 

That brings up an interesting conversation I remember seeing on FB about patches.  There seems to be three different types of patches.

Original (used in the era they were originally made). You can find these as NOS or leftovers.

Reproductions (made by a third party to look like the original)

Officially Licensed (repros made by National Emblem).

Obviously an original is the most desired, but what about the Officially Licensed ones?  In theory they are supposed to be made just like the originals.

I tend to think of in the same lines as having one's old school jersey accurately customized.  For example, you send in your blank jersey that was manufactured in 1999 to be customized to 1998-99 team specs, so that it looks exactly like what the players wore on the ice in that time period.  Unfortunately, the customizer isn't going to be able to use original 1999 materials for the numbers and nameplates, so technically reproductions.  Same goes for the patches.  Modern materials reproduced to look like the originals from years gone by.  However, with the patches compared with the numbers and nameplates,  it seems like it is harder to reproduce the originals 100%, because the manufacturers are now using modernized equipment and techniques.  At least for me, the best I can hope for and try to accomplish is for the overall look of the finished jersey to match the original as closely as possible.   

I've never worried about it, if I can't get an original 9or if they are too costly), I just use the National Emblem version. 

I am looking for (4) of these patches that are on the arms of the current Team Canada Jerseys. Has anyone ever seen them around? I have the jerseys, but they have the “Canada 150” Patches on the arms instead of these patches, so I’d like to swap out the Canada 150 Patches.

Canada Patch

Hey everyone,

Looking for a few things.

1) Bruins Authentic Front Crest from the '90's.  If anyone has a really beat up jersey from then or has removed one in the past, I could use one.  Also, I am guessing the authentic jersey crests are different than the replica jerseys, but if this can be confirmed if they are different of the same, that would greatly help.

2) 1990 Stanley Cup patch.  I'm just seeing if anyone might have an original.  I know about ice_hockey_patches, and the reproductions on eBay, but just figured I would check here first.

3) 1999 All-Star Patch (the Tampa Bay one).  Again, looking to see if any originals out there first before I go the reproduction route.

Thanks!