NHL Salaries

Was looking some stuff up and found this website.

http://www.nhlpa.com/thePlayers/index.asp

If you click on each team you can see all the player salaries for this past season.

One thing I gotta ask, Jovanovski is a good player but is he really worth 7 Million, making him the 4th highest paid defenseman.

Jovo-Cop for SEVEN million? Holy crap, I didn't know that. That's insanity. He's gotta be pushing 40 now and he's nowhere near a Chelios or a Niedermayer.

Yashin Alexei Centre New York Islanders $7,600,000.00

Heh...sorry. I couldn't help it.

Not 100% sure but I think Jovo is only in his early 30's, I am pretty sure he has only been in the league something like 10 years.

He is a good defenseman, but I think 7 million is too much for a guy who hasn't played 70 games in a season the last 4 years.

Jovo-Cop for SEVEN million? Holy crap, I didn't know that. That's insanity. He's gotta be pushing 40 now and he's nowhere near a Chelios or a Niedermayer.

Right there, on that NHLPA site (!!), it says that Jovo was born June 26, 1976, making him thirty years old right now. With all the injures he has gotten over the years, it seems like he has played forever. My original thought he was 34, but that will be his age when his contract (five years, $32.5M) is up.

I think the rationale was with the Ducks signing Pronger, the Coyotes had to keep up with the Jones' somehow and JovoCop was the best available defenseman. The free agency rules may have frightened Barnett into wanting to sew a big-name blueliner locked up for several seasons. Jovo was certainly overpaid and signing players like him to contracts like that are the kind of things that make GM's lose their jobs. Jovanovski underwent abdominal surgery a few months ago, so hopefully, that is fixed, but he is so injury-prone. Barnett went way out of his way to get him signed, but I am relieved that Gretzky's pal was relieved of his duties. Now that Don Maloney, who scouted many talented players like Bertuzzi, McCabe, Kasparaitis and Palffy to the Islanders in the early 90s (until that fool Milbury cleaned house), is GM, I'm expecting smarter personnel decisions than the ones made in the past several years ahead from the Coyotes.

Now that Don Maloney, who scouted many talented players like Bertuzzi, McCabe, Kasparaitis and Palffy to the Islanders in the early 90s (until that fool Milbury cleaned house), is GM, I'm expecting smarter personnel decisions than the ones made in the past several years ahead from the Coyotes.

While I agree with you, I think it remains to be seen whether Gretz control over the organization extends to this GM as well and thus keeps mucking up the works out there. I would think without 99's involvement the Dogs profile would be a lot less and putting them in even more trouble but I don't think he has been a good coach or defacto GM during his tenure there.

Right there, on that NHLPA site (!!), it says that Jovo was born June 26, 1976, making him thirty years old right now. With all the injures he has gotten over the years, it seems like he has played forever. My original thought he was 34, but that will be his age when his contract (five years, $32.5M) is up.

D-oh! You are correct. I don't know why I thought he was closer to 40...oh well. He's still not worth 7 million a year.

The problem with Phoenix now is that any little thing that goes wrong is going to come back on Maloney. A few losing seasons and he's probably gone. It's almost a no-win situation for him. There's NO WAY that the Coyotes franchise is gonna fire the Great One, no matter how bad they are. So, that means the axe will probably come down on good ol' Don.

While I agree with you, I think it remains to be seen whether Gretz control over the organization extends to this GM as well and thus keeps mucking up the works out there. I would think without 99's involvement the Dogs profile would be a lot less and putting them in even more trouble but I don't think he has been a good coach or defacto GM during his tenure there.

The W-L-OTL-SOW record speaks for itself.

I think the rationale was with the Ducks signing Pronger, the Coyotes had to keep up with the Jones' somehow and JovoCop was the best available defenseman. The free agency rules may have frightened Barnett into wanting to sew a big-name blueliner locked up for several seasons. Jovo was certainly overpaid and signing players like him to contracts like that are the kind of things that make GM's lose their jobs. Jovanovski underwent abdominal surgery a few months ago, so hopefully, that is fixed, but he is so injury-prone. Barnett went way out of his way to get him signed, but I am relieved that Gretzky's pal was relieved of his duties. Now that Don Maloney, who scouted many talented players like Bertuzzi, McCabe, Kasparaitis and Palffy to the Islanders in the early 90s (until that fool Milbury cleaned house), is GM, I'm expecting smarter personnel decisions than the ones made in the past several years ahead from the Coyotes.

I love Jovo and everything, but no way would I pay him as much as the Doggies are. I always thought the number was around $6 mill. I think the smartest Barnett trade was getting Ballard from Colorado and Michalek from Minnesota. I was pretty pleased with the Doan signing, maybe overpaid somewhat, but I love to watch Doan play and have become a big fan of him the last couple of seasons.

As much as I love Gretz, I do wish he'd step down as coach. I don't know if you'll agree with me on this or not Rat, but one of the biggest things I noticed about the Doggies the last couple of seasons watching them was the lack of chemistry they seemed to have together. At one point around mid-December-January it seemed like things were looking up overall for the team. Then I don't know what happened.

Gretzky should just GM..

Jovo is a above average defender but i wouldnt even put him in my top 10

DEFINITELY not worth the money hes being paid.

So few are..frankly

Gretzky should just GM..

Agreed...if Tocchet is reinstated, I'd be curious to see how he handles that position.

Its too bad Tampa finds themselves in the position they are with their big three of St. Louis, Richards, and Lecavalier. I think of those three, I'd keep Richards and Lecavalier. As much as I like St. Louis, IMO you'd have more time to build with the other two, as they are younger.