Jason Spezza's jersey tonight

FlyersHockey1967

Anyone watching Game 3? Back in the second period, Jason Spezza got his jersey torn up and he had to sit on the bench for a minute before the equipment staff could get him another one. The replacement he got was the jersey of 44 Patrick Eaves. He had to take a shift before they could go up to a souvenir stand (or so Mike Emrick said) and get him a Spezza jersey ("For everything else there's MasterCard"). I had been under the impression that venders didn't sell authentics in the arenas, but it doesn't look that way anymore.

Heh...I caught that. Funny stuff. The thing that makes me curious is why wouldn't the team have multiple jerseys for each player 'just in case'? To me, it would just make sense to be safe rather than sorry. OR, does Ottawa have a ton of Eaves jerseys and just hope for the best? That'd be pretty funny if there were a couple 'wardrobe malfunctions' and more than one player had to don an Eaves jersey!

I'm almost 100% sure that the Garden carries authentic jerseys so I would assume that others would have them.

I caught that too, but not sure they were talking about Spezza when it was the souvenier stand thing. To my knowledge, they wouldn't have Spezza's size at the arena anyways. I am guessing they found another one finally to give back to him, but I have been known to be wrong and might be in this case too.

After looking it up on Meigray, it appears Spezza wears a 54, so I guess it is entirely possible that they would have that size.

At the very least Madison Square Garden and Nassau Coliseum both sell authentics.

As does the HSBC Arena.

Usually each player has a set number of jerseys for the season(because of the gameworn program). So I can see why it took them a while to get a replacement.

From NHL.com

Wardrobe malfunction -- Patrick Eaves was a healthy scratch for Game 3, but you weren’t losing your mind when you saw Eaves’ No. 44 on the Ottawa bench early in the second period. That was actually Jason Spezza, who after having his sweater ripped by Sammy Pahlsson, was given an Eaves jersey to wear until one with his name and No. 19 could be located in the equipment room.

“I’ve worn it before actually, in training camp, so it was pretty funny,” Spezza said of No. 44. “If I would have … it would have been nice to have scored with Patty’s jersey on.”

So they did have extras, they just had to find it.

I seem to remember Theo Fleury having an issue like that when he was with the Flames. I don't recall if his jersey was ripped or what exactly happened, but a fan a few rows behind the bench had a Fleury jersey that the fan let Theo wear for the rest of the game. It made ESPN and happened in the late 90s.

I seem to remember Theo Fleury having an issue like that when he was with the Flames. I don't recall if his jersey was ripped or what exactly happened, but a fan a few rows behind the bench had a Fleury jersey that the fan let Theo wear for the rest of the game. It made ESPN and happened in the late 90s.

yes, I remember that too. He was not allowed to play in his jersey for the rest of the game because it was messed up with his blood. The referee also didn't allow Theo to wear the fan's jersey because it had signatures all over it so he got a jersey from the coach with #74(?) and no name on it.

Just to set the record straight, this is direct from Barry Meisel who runs the NHLGameworn program through Meigray and posted on gameworn.net

Hi everybody,

Well, that's a first!!

We now have MGG No. D07949, a warmup-worn Red Finals Set 1 No. 44 Patrick Eaves, also worn by Jason Spezza during the Senators' 5-3 victory over the Anaheim Ducks at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa.

Spezza's jersey, MGG No. D07905, was significantly ripped during a second-period incident with Anaheim's Samuel Pahlsson. Spezza took his jersey off when it was ripped from the neck to the crest, and since Spezza had to go to the penalty box, he went briefly off the ice while Mike Comrie served his penalty.

While Spezza's jersey was being repaired, he emerged with Eaves' No. 44 (Eaves took the warmup and then did not play, and his jersey was immediately available) and served the rest of his penalty. When Spezza emerged from the box, he went to the bench and put back on his quickly repaired No. 19.

Spezza's jersey has a huge repair that looks like a block letter L, from the neck to the crest, and several inches to the right.

The story by the announcers was just them speculating and having some fun with the fact Spezza made an appearance in the #44. They did not really run to the concession stand for a replacement, but it does make for a funny visual.

Jeff

yes, I remember that too. He was not allowed to play in his jersey for the rest of the game because it was messed up with his blood. The referee also didn't allow Theo to wear the fan's jersey because it had signatures all over it so he got a jersey from the coach with #74(?) and no name on it.

That's it! Good memory, I couldn't recall all the details. I just remember something about it on ESPN. Wow that was a long time ago now too! I had completely forgotten blood was the reason for that one.

From NHL.com

Wardrobe malfunction -- Patrick Eaves was a healthy scratch for Game 3, but you weren’t losing your mind when you saw Eaves’ No. 44 on the Ottawa bench early in the second period. That was actually Jason Spezza, who after having his sweater ripped by Sammy Pahlsson, was given an Eaves jersey to wear until one with his name and No. 19 could be located in the equipment room.

“I’ve worn it before actually, in training camp, so it was pretty funny,” Spezza said of No. 44. “If I would have … it would have been nice to have scored with Patty’s jersey on.”

So they did have extras, they just had to find it.

Maybe Spezza should skate a few shifts in the Eaves jersey or switch numbers. Some sort of mojo rubbed off on him from it and they won the game. :D

I thought they would have repaired and NHL gameworn confirms it. Since Ottawa is part of the program each player gets a specific amount of jerseys each to be worn for a different part of the season.

As for wearing other players jerseys, not related to hockey, but the about 7 to 10 years ago the Atlanta Braves wore some form of throw back jerseys and John Smoltz was the starting pitcher for them, the announcer made the comment that they expected to see Smoltz wearing a different jersey at some point in the game becuase he changes after X innings and there had only been one jersey per player made (all without last names, since they were throwbacks) and would have to wear on of the few jerseys prepared for players who didn't play. The umpires had been informed of what was going on and had approve it.