Subtle changes on jerseys

ZoomZoom18

Bruins4.gif

1995-96

Bruins8.gif

1999-2000

I have the dark Bruins jersey as shown in the picture. One thing I've noticed on newer hockey cards is the numbers (especially the 7) look different than I thought they did. Well, I love that nhluniforms.com site and it confirmed something that somehow I haven't paid too much attention to, but just noticed. The Bruins changed their number font from the originals they had in 95-96.

Anyone else noticed any other teams that may have had a slight change to their jerseys?

Good eyes!.....The only others i can think of is also numbers, Montreal now have "fatter" numbers.

And tampa got rid of the flossed numbers, and now have boring plain numbers...I think the old ones where cool!

Like Lightning had struck them, what was wrong with that ?! :stickhndl:

I noticed that Bruins "7" years ago. I have my Bruins jersey made with both number styles

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2546315240054115799wUqSLg

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2381835080054115799PqIJBB

They also changed the "4" at the bottom

I also noticed that the Maple Leafs changed their sleeve numbers a little bit. The top layer became a little "fatter".

The Penguins have different letter since Reebok is in the game. The number have thinner outline which you can best notice on the sleeve numbers. I'm not quite sure about the letters. They look "slim" (if that's the right word for it), or the just made the outline bigger so the bottom layer on letter like B and R are closed in center (like the Dallas Stars) while the O is open; I'm not sure about the D and A. The Captain "C" and "A" also changed a little bit since Reebok...

The letters on Dallas Stars jersey changed also with the bottom layer is open in center on letters like O, D, R, B... They also changed their sleeve numbers a little bit.

The Hurricanes added black layers to their names on the back in season 00-01(?)

There's all kinds of examples I've come across when researching what style was worn with a certain patch. When Gretzky was a King, they started out with silver numbers on the white jerseys and two color names and numbers. Later they changed to 3 color names and numbers. Then they changed to one color names and stuck with the 3 color numbers, but changed the numbers to black instead of silver.

The Dallas Stars black jerseys from the mid 90's also had three color numbers and then dumbed it down to two colors, which was pretty bad since the dark green outline didn't separate from the black jersey at all.

The Dallas Stars black jerseys from the mid 90's also had three color numbers and then dumbed it down to two colors, which was pretty bad since the dark green outline didn't separate from the black jersey at all.

Weren't the three colored numbers were on the black North Stars jersey using kelly green as the top layer and switched to two colored numbers with a darker green when they moved to Dallas? The North also had three colored names for like a half season.

When the Calgary Flames came out with their current red jersey the names on the back were black with a white outline

The Ottawa Senator changed their numbers colors on the jerseys in the 90's. At first they had red numbers with a white outline on the back and the sleeves of the black jerseys. They changed the colors of the sleeve numbers of the black and white jersey too often that I don't know what they looked like

cbj used fat numbers in their inaugural season

Good eyes!.....The only others i can think of is also numbers, Montreal now have "fatter" numbers.

And tampa got rid of the flossed numbers, and now have boring plain numbers...I think the old ones where cool!

Like Lightning had struck them, what was wrong with that ?! :stickhndl:

I liked the original numbering for the Lightning jerseys. I think they only used it maybe three seasons. I still can't believe they've been in their current style as long as they have. I know its not popular, but I have always liked the black jersey.

I noticed something was different on the Flames jerseys last year with the names. Then saw a picture of the black names on the 03-04 jerseys and the white names last year on the red jerseys. Its amazing how there will be subtle changes that sometimes you don't even notice. When the Indianapolis Ice unveiled their black, purple, and white color scheme in 94-95, each year afterwards they made some change to the jersey up until the time they left the IHL. One year it was a complete revamp, the next year they changed the names and numbers to make them wider and more pronounced as well as unveiled an alternate. After that they completely changed the name/number font and the logo on front. Then they realized that the announcers on the radio and TV had a hard time reading the names and even numbers on the backs. I remember listening to the play-by-play announcer and him making a comment about how the 1 and the 7 looked alike. But my point is, from each year they made some change for some reason. It drove me nuts!

I started to wonder after noticing the changes on the Bruins jersey how often does that happen in the NHL? Looks like quite a bit.

The Flames Red Jersey originally had the black names and numbers and after wearing them only a few times the first season, the names were changed to white becuase fans and the announcers couldn't make out the names from any sort of distance. If I recall the Flames store was really cool about this and offered to update anyone's jersey who had the black name and change it to white free of charge. Getting the Red Jersey with Black Lettering would almost being a one of a kind jersey becuase 99% will have the white version, could be kinda cool.

Iggy you have any pics of the Jackets original numbers? I've never noticed a difference (granted I wasnt looking!)

Weren't the three colored numbers were on the black North Stars jersey using kelly green as the top layer and switched to two colored numbers with a darker green when they moved to Dallas? The North also had three colored names for like a half season.

Talking about the North Stars (and then Dallas Stars) black jerseys only, they were first used with fancy names on the back but only played with them for just a couple of games before changing to one color white. http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/...rnameplate2.JPG

The numbers were 3 color, green, trimmed in black and outlined in white from 91-92 to 93-94, 3 seasons.

For their second year in Dallas, 94-95, they changed to white numbers outlined in green through the 98-99 season, the last year for the black jerseys. I always thought the green on black was nearly impossible to see.

Iggy you have any pics of the Jackets original numbers? I've never noticed a difference (granted I wasnt looking!)

If you look at the current home blue jersey, you should be able to see a noticable difference.

Original Jackets jersey (my Marc Denis gamer):

2004679155640557662_rs.jpg

2004616388820277017_rs.jpg

The Flames Red Jersey originally had the black names and numbers and after wearing them only a few times the first season, the names were changed to white becuase fans and the announcers couldn't make out the names from any sort of distance. If I recall the Flames store was really cool about this and offered to update anyone's jersey who had the black name and change it to white free of charge. Getting the Red Jersey with Black Lettering would almost being a one of a kind jersey becuase 99% will have the white version, could be kinda cool.

flames_celebrate_v_wings.jpg

(Man, CuJo as a Red Wing!) I did find this from 03-04, I must've really forgotten about the NHL from 2004 to the end of the lockout!

For some reason I could've sworn last year was the first year they had the white names. I noticed something different about them when I caught one of their highlights on TV last season. I fell in love with those jerseys when I first saw them and had to add one to my collection. I was on the verge of getting it personalized, but couldn't decide who I wanted to get.

If you look at the current home blue jersey, you should be able to see a noticable difference.

Original Jackets jersey (my Marc Denis gamer):

2004679155640557662_rs.jpg

2004616388820277017_rs.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I see what your talking about, I wonder why the changed, I kinda like the fatter numbers.