Mark-Andre Fleury Appreciation Thread AND YAY PLAYOFFS!

guam64

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He almost got pulled 4 minutes into Game 3 for letting 2 goals on 3 shots - so it wasn't like he'd been flawless up until the final moments of Game 4.

As a goalie, I think Fleury is an elite goaltender in the NHL. However, he just can't seem to get his crap together in the playoffs, even when he won the cup in 2009. If I recall correctly, his save % was something like .908 in the spring of 2009. The Pens have always been my second favorite team, and I really wanted them to win in 2009, but the CBJ's are proving to be a "heart and soul" team, and I'd love to see them pull off a major upset in the first round.

He almost got pulled 4 minutes into Game 3 for letting 2 goals on 3 shots - so it wasn't like he'd been flawless up until the final moments of Game 4.

I never said he was flawless. I said he's been our best player.

And after that shaky start to game 3 he shut it down the rest of the game. Overall he's been great.

Edited by blurryhaze312

He's the best player on a team with Brooks Orpik, Letanglife58, and those two deadweights Patrice Bergeron had to drag around on his line at the Olympics.

He's the best player on a team with Brooks Orpik, Letanglife58, and those two deadweights Patrice Bergeron had to drag around on his line at the Olympics.

Shows how much you know about hockey. :P

MAF - only goalie in history to get scored on TWICE in sudden death overtime in the same game ...

False. Chris Campoli did it against Columbus like 5 years ago, so whoever was CBJ's goalie also got scored on 2x by the same player in OT! http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f92_1225847405

Edited by NYIJM29

As a goalie, I think Fleury is an elite goaltender in the NHL. However, he just can't seem to get his crap together in the playoffs, even when he won the cup in 2009. If I recall correctly, his save % was something like .908 in the spring of 2009. The Pens have always been my second favorite team, and I really wanted them to win in 2009, but the CBJ's are proving to be a "heart and soul" team, and I'd love to see them pull off a major upset in the first round.

Elite? :noway: Can't agree there. MAF's shown inconsistency in the playoffs, as you point out, and he's had cold spells in the regular season, too. I respect your opinion, but to me an "elite" goalie doesn't do either. IMO Tuuka Rask, Henrik Lundqvist are "elite" and they are superior to MAF.

FLOLeury

Yeah I agree on the first goal he allowed last night. Don't know where the defense went on the second and game winners. MAF looked like a fish out of water on those.

False. Chris Campoli did it against Columbus like 5 years ago, so whoever was CBJ's goalie also got scored on 2x by the same player in OT! http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f92_1225847405

Obviously I meant in the playoffs. :P

*note to self: fire my research department*

Haha all good! I actually read it the first time as "playoffs", but why shouldn't I bust chops?! It isn't every day Campoli does something cool

Edited by NYIJM29

I gotta give it to MAF, back to back shutouts in the playoffs. I don't think the Rangers have really tested him that hard, but I think killing off eleventy hundred Ranger power plays has given Flower his confidence back.

I gotta give it to MAF, back to back shutouts in the playoffs. I don't think the Rangers have really tested him that hard, but I think killing off eleventy hundred Ranger power plays has given Flower his confidence back.

I was there last night, and it was unbearable to watch. I don't know how many times I saw them fail to finish with all the terrible rebounds he has been giving up lately.

As usual, they make a bad, or inexperienced goalie look great.

Easy to have shutouts when the opposite team hits 75 goalposts and crossbars. The Rangers make above average goalies look like Roy and Brodeur just like the Yankees make rookie pitchers/pitchers they never seen before look like Koufax.

Edited by OR68

Flower power! B)

The Rangers had opportunities to put pucks behind Fleury. Back-to-back shutouts are not a fluke. You can't deny that, OR68.

I will give him credit for the shutouts. He's made all the saves. The rangers had gone on their flurries (no pun intended) where they have a million shots on goal like game 3 and do everything but score.

Back to back shutouts can't be argued, but when Lundqvist is the Rangers best player on every power play, the other goalie doesn't have much to fear.

Shutting out the Rags "offense" in back-to-back games is like not being inbred.

It's completely normal in civilized parts of the country, but considered an accomplishment in Shitsburgh.

LOL

I wish the flyers knew what 'offense' was... Surprisingly enough it requires actual effort

Edited by FlyersFan376