Turgeon announces Retirement

lafountain

Pierre Turgeon announced his retirement from the NHL.

Veteran forward Pierre Turgeon has decided to retire after 19 NHL seasons, according to a report in The Denver Post.

Sources told the newspaper that Turgeon, 37, is expected to make a formal announcement soon.

Turgeon last played with the Colorado Avalanche, signing a two-year, $3 million deal with the club in 2005 on the same day Peter Forsberg signed with the Philadelphia Flyers via free agency.

Injuries plagued Turgeon late in his career. Shoulder surgery kept him out of the lineup late in the 2005-06 season, while groin and calf injuries limited him to just 17 games last season.

In 1,294 career games with six NHL teams, he had 515 goals and 812 assists for 1,327 points. With the Sabres, Islanders, Canadiens, Blues, Stars and Avs, Turgeon never played in a Stanley Cup final.

He had a very solid career, one of the premier playmakers of his time.

My all-time favorite player has now retired. It's a shame that he never made it to a Cup Final. I have run a fantasy league since 1993 and Turgeon never played a game for any other team than mine in those 13 seasons. I was happy that the Isles got him, even in exchange for Pat Lafontaine (who never won a Cup with the Islanders, I didn't mind that the dealt him). Turgeon was a pure goal scoring center, I went to the Mighty Ducks second-ever regular season game and saw Turgeon score an OT goal. He was a huge part of the 1993 season until Dale Hunter cheap-shotted him after that goal. I remember being in McDuffy's sports bar in Tempe watching that. If the rangers winning the Cup in 1994, the Isles changing their logo and the work stoppage wasn't bad enough, Pierre was then traded to Montreal for Kirk Muller, who stunk as an Islander. The guy who traded him was Coyotes GM, Don Maloney. It's bizarre how things come around like that. Scratch the comment that I'm glad he's the GM of the Coyotes, I am still upset about that deal. :glare: But, anyway...

Of all places to get deal to, Montreal was a good one for Turgeon. He was captain in 1996 and in the Bell Centre (Molson when I went), if you go down the elevator to the ice level, the first thing you see when you get off is a mural: forumfinale.jpg

My wife and I toured the Molson Center on our honeymoon almost exactly 5 years ago, I told her to make sure she snaps a pic of this :thumbsup: . We found it funny that Lyle Odelein (a Coyote several years ago) had his ugly mug in the Forum farewell photo.

That is too bad he never made it to a Cup Final. I hate to see guys retire without getting that chance. I remember him mostly as an Islander, knocking out the Penguins in 1993. That hit by Dale Hunter as well... Always got lucky getting his hockey cards as a Sabre too... I think he had around 100+ points in 92-93. He had a long and solid career.

He scored 58 goals and I think 132 points in 1992-93 and also had a pretty good year with the Sabres earlier in his career. Is he HOF material? I really don't think so. He always seemed to be a really good player but never a 'great' player and frankly, I think if you have to THINK about a players' induction, then he doesn't really deserve it.

If the rangers winning the Cup in 1994, the Isles changing their logo and the work stoppage wasn't bad enough, Pierre was then traded to Montreal for Kirk Muller, who stunk as an Islander.

Thirteen years ago tonight!! ;)

Who said he belongs in the Hall of Fame? He should get some votes when he's eligible to get on the ballot. While we're at it, 1294 games 515 goals 812 assists 1327 points are darn good numbers, I'd like to see comparable players that ARE in the HOF. Not playing in the Finals may be the kiss of death for his HOF chances. He hasn't officially retired yet. No news on any official NHL sites yet, but it's due to happen anyday now.

Ah...don't mind me. I'm getting my topics mixed up. There was a debate on one of my other boards about him going to the Hall.

Regarding his numbers, however, yes he scored 500 goals but he also did it over 22 years. If he'd have done it in maybe 15 or 16 years, I'd say he deserves to get in but 22 years? I don't know.

Ah...don't mind me. I'm getting my topics mixed up. There was a debate on one of my other boards about him going to the Hall.

Regarding his numbers, however, yes he scored 500 goals but he also did it over 22 years. If he'd have done it in maybe 15 or 16 years, I'd say he deserves to get in but 22 years? I don't know.

It was 19 seasons to be exact.

While I'm splitting hairs ;) , 19 splits the middle of your '16 in, 22, not in' criteria. That being the case, would you vote him to the Hall, assuming there were no other candidates deserving at the time of the vote?

Eh...I don't know. Under the circumstances, I'd have to say no. Like you said, he has no Finals appearances and only two of his teams reached the Conference Finals in the Islanders and Blues and he didn't even play in the 1993 one with the Isles. He was never really that standout guy on any of his teams; outside of 1993 where he really was but lost out on the playoffs. I think I'd put him in the same boat as Joe Nieuwendyk in that his longevity was very good to him but not really Hall-worthy. I don't even think I'd put Nieuwendyk in with his 3 Cups and 500+ goals. I think the Hall of Fame should be reserved for the real elite players and I don't think that those two guys were.

• 2 months later...

Unforunately he was never given any credit but received a fair amount of criticism when he played here.

Another example of why players DON'T want to come to Montreal anymore.

He is definitely Hall bound.Classy player and a point producer.