Opinions on customization: How close is "close enough"?

Of Senators and Kings

Been looking at a few of my ultrafils closer lately and I sort of wish I didn't. Started seeing differences between mine and gamer pics to the point where I cannot even enjoy them anymore and feel like doing a strip...but maybe this is more OCD than is required for the hobby. You guys tell me.

A and B are the gamers in this case, C is mine. Am I going nuts or do my obsessive tendencies have a point here?

I direct your eyes to the nameplate letters, the hole in the "9", the top of the "1".

gamers_zps262cb08e.jpgUntitled_zpsee2f2693.jpg

Edited by Of Senators and Kings

Everyone has their own threshold of what's "close enough" for them. In the end it comes down to what you can live with.

Or you can abandon all hope and just switch to gamers.

It depends on the context of the jersey.

If I grab a used pre-lettered authentic at a good price on eBay, I'm not going to lose my mind over slight inaccuracies like the one in your example.

But, if I send an authentic away where ever, and spend 100 dollars to get it done up, I'm going to have some buyer's remorse if it isn't perfect.

If it's really a deal breaker, I'd sell the jersey and try and get back what you paid for it. Those 92-93 Senators authentic jerseys pop up every so often on eBay. So I'd just start from scratch with a blank rather than strip what you have.

Spending time/money on stripping the jersey shown in the op would only present diminishing returns. It doesn't seem worth the hours it would take to strip the jersey safely, plus the cost of a new customization job.

Also, it figures Yashin is still screwing with Sens fans decades after leaving the team....

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

all 3 look equally bad. the only way to 'exactly replicate what's worn on-ice' is to get the gamers themselves. Retail jerseys aren't what the players wear. Team issued blanks + customization by the on-ice lettering company are close, but still doesn't have jersey modifications some players request (ie. Brandon's Walker gamer).

I have what I believe to be a foolproof system to deal with these tricky situations where you must remain more classy.

(1) Is this jersey on ebay?

Yes - Buy it immediately without even looking at the pictures or description, so you don't risk someone else getting a better deal that you. Advance to step (2).

No - Advance directly to step (4).

(2) Was the item you received a match to photos and description in the auction?

Yes - Advance to step (3).

No - Go directly to the seller's address and proceed to hurl feces at them until they agree to a full refund. Then advance directly to step (4).

(3) Is the customization completely accurate to on-ice customization?

Yes - No, it's not. Keep looking until you find something. Then advance to step (4).

No - Advance directly to step (4).

(4) Have you opened a case on ebay?

Yes - Threaten to escalate it until the seller relents, all while remaining more classy than the seller. Advance to step (5).

No - What are you waiting for? No one is going to think you are classy until you go through with your threats. Repeat step (4).

(5) Has the seller offered you a $10 coupon for your troubles?

Yes - Accept the coupon with class and complain about them offering you hush money on IJBB.

No - Complain about not getting a coupon on IJBB.

Edited by guam64

Just to clarify something, this was a blank I bought new and sent to Keener to get done, not an ebay grab. I have all the respect in the world for Keener's work and any inaccuracies are due to myself not providing zoomed up ref pics. But thanks for the sarcasm anyway guam.

Appreciate the input guys, to be honest I feel a bit better about it and you're right hockeyjerseyssuck, stripping and re-doing a NWOT Ultrafil over a bit of a wide and high a-hole (pardon me) seems a bit much.

Another thing that has got me a bit reassured is that even between gamers there are perceivable differences. ie. 9-holes should be identical and they aren't.

9899_yashin19_back.jpg

72.jpg

@ Gunnar, the first two are gamers, not retail.

the only way to 'exactly replicate what's worn on-ice' is to get the gamers themselves.

Well now, that wouldn't be "replicating" at all.

Well now, that wouldn't be "replicating" at all.

Especially when the gamers look equally as bad as the jersey replicating it. :lol:

Another thing that has got me a bit reassured is that even between gamers there are perceivable differences. ie. 9-holes should be identical and they aren't.

Those are gamers from different years, note the different colored sleeve numbers. The top one was from 97-99 and the bottom was from 95-97. They may or may not have switch customizers around that time as well. Even so, customizers have been known to change the customization for whatever reason, like Cutting Edge did with Caps jersey.

Wait til you get into gamers, you have gonna have way more fun driving people crazy nitpicking for photomatches.

Oh now I see the discrepancy. The arm numbers are the wrong colour combo. GG.

I think it's because they are from different seasons.

The Senators made small changes to that jersey at multiple points. Both with the number colour, and a slight change in the logo where they removed the "Ottawa Senators" font in exchange for some fun shapes.

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

Those are gamers from different years, note the different colored sleeve numbers. The top one was from 97-99 and the bottom was from 95-97. They may or may not have switch customizers around that time as well. Even so, customizers have been known to change the customization for whatever reason, like Cutting Edge did with Caps jersey.

Wait til you get into gamers, you have gonna have way more fun driving people crazy nitpicking for photomatches.

To my knowledge only the arm # layering was changed, as well as a different center crest with "Ottawa Senators" text deleted and the laurels moved from the helmet to the shield. The back numbers, like the lettering, should be identical.

I'll have to find more examples of 9s and 6s from those two sets to determine if it was indeed the 1997 change that is responsible.

Indeed...and check this out...I thought the home and away numbers was the same and just color swapped throughout the entire 90s...not the case apparently. After 96-97 the homer (white) kept the wide 9-hole while the Away (black) was adjusted.

http://sensgameused.weebly.com/yashinjersey.html

The easiest way to accept the customization you have is by never, ever comparing it to pictures of a gamer.

I made that mistake once.

both look equally bad. the only way to 'exactly replicate what's worn on-ice' is to get the gamers themselves. Retail jerseys aren't what the players wear. Team issued blanks + customization by the on-ice lettering company are close, but still doesn't have jersey modifications some players request (ie. Brandon's Walker gamer).

both look equally bad. the only way to 'exactly replicate what's worn on-ice' is to get the gamers themselves. Retail jerseys aren't what the players wear. Team issued blanks + customization by the on-ice lettering company are close, but still doesn't have jersey modifications some players request (ie. Brandon's Walker gamer).

I approve this message.

Oh you guys are cray-cray!

• 3 weeks later...