eBay version 4.0

dsl135

Thinking about it more, I really hate when sellers do stuff like that. There's a jersey on eBay right now that I know to have damage because I used to own it, and the new owner is selling it and not disclosing it. Someone will get that jersey and be surprised. 

I'm not going to try to hurt another guy's sales because that's just not me, but I can also add that its so overpriced that none of you are at risk of buying it anyway. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've returned jerseys with a list of reasons why, for the most part when I see the item listed again the problem is noted.

For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OTTAWA-SENATORS-JERSEY-YASHIN-19-SZ-52-Center-Ice-Signed-RARE-NHL-/193027430629?item=193027430629&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=E4AP1hqJaGTFaEr%2FcfAe%2FPpwNNg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The origional listing made it out to be flawless with a few stains, I feel fairly confident with my ability to get stains out so I took a swing at it.
When I got it the thing had 3 major pulls, a hole and piling

It was a battle to return and the seller got more than I anticipated when they re-sold. Maybe the next guy isn't as much of a stickler as most of us here and can overlook some flaws / still feels like they got a deal but I want my stuff to be as clean as possible (kinda why I've never been pulled into the game worn stuff)

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

I've returned jerseys with a list of reasons why, for the most part when I see the item listed again the problem is noted.

For example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OTTAWA-SENATORS-JERSEY-YASHIN-19-SZ-52-Center-Ice-Signed-RARE-NHL-/193027430629?item=193027430629&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=E4AP1hqJaGTFaEr%2FcfAe%2FPpwNNg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The origional listing made it out to be flawless with a few stains, I feel fairly confident with my ability to get stains out so I took a swing at it.
When I got it the thing had 3 major pulls, a hole and piling

It was a battle to return and the seller got more than I anticipated when they re-sold. Maybe the next guy isn't as much of a stickler as most of us here and can overlook some flaws / still feels like they got a deal but I want my stuff to be as clean as possible (kinda why I've never been pulled into the game worn stuff)

Wear on a gamer is one thing (not your thing or my thing, but it’s a thing), but on a regular jersey it just means you treated it like crap. Unless you played hockey in it, and in that case, you should mention that. 

But I’ll never understand people who sell jerseys with mystery stains, especially those that are simply cleaned with minimal effort. 

I don't understand the mystery stain either.  Just try to clean it and if it works out you can sell for more.  As a buyer I don't mind the mystery stain, it's netted me one really awesome rare jersey recently for a steal.

But not disclosing flaws and such is a no no to me too.  I was talking to another IJer about this and we agreed why wouldn't you just disclose a flaw, more often then not it will be met with an, "no worries, no problem" sort of response.  The price might take a slight hit if you're selling but at least you made an honest deal and have a good contact going forward and potentially more deals.

I'd say most guys who collect only authentics want the condition to be pristine as possible. I think?  Most of us are intimate enough with our collection to be able to point out flaws and keep things honest, so why not.

Recently, I got an awesome jersey that looked mint and flawless and it was advertised that way too. When I got it, it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.  We've all been there and I know I'm picky about condition to a point, but with what we spend on this hobby we should be.  I reached out to the seller about 2 small black marks on the crest (which could be removed with a little effort) and a half inch noticeable scratch through the embroidery on the crest that can't be repaired (a flaw).  The seller said he was sorry, it was his fault for not going over it better and immediately asked for my paypal to refund me some $ for working on the stains.  The scratch is minor enough that I didn't care since the kit is the star of the jersey anyway.  But had he told me upfront about the scratch and marks and sent a pic we probably would have came to the same conclusion of a minor discount on asking price vs me paying full then getting the discount later for him realizing he didn't disclose properly.  Regardless the seller took responsibility and was great about it and I'm sure he'll do a better 'once over' before listing next time.  Or he'll clean it/fix it himself before listing.  I told him I wasn't going to say no to a slight refund, and told him I appreciated it... and he said it's the right thing to do, it was his mistake, he should have gone over it better. 

Disclosing seems like the least painful route, but sometimes it is understandable that a seller may have missed something.  I'll always give the seller the benefit of the doubt that they missed it assuming they try to make it right.

I think full disclosure is always the way to go. But like you intimated, I can look at a stain and make a pretty good assessment as to whether or not it can be cleaned. But I still don’t know why a seller would not just wash it, on the theory that less flaws equals more money. 

Again, not talking about you game worn weirdos who like your jerseys brimming with DNA. 

Gamers is a totally different story for sure, I just want them the way they would have been hung it the stall prior to the wearing part.  Who the weird ones are is up for debate I suppose.

Edited by JJM4

9 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

Who the weird ones are is up for debate I suppose.

Not really. It’s all of us. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Not really. It’s all of us. 

Hahaha, so true.

I'm thrilled as all get out when I see a dirty jersey, it typically equates to a better price and gives me a small window to snag it when other buyers pause.

It also has netted me a few gamers at a low cost which I was able to identify and pass on to those that want gamers.

I think the biggest reason people don't clean them is due to the tagging in the neck that describes how to handle washing  and it scares them a little bit

Again, works for me as I plan on cleaning everything I buy anyway  

There's also a growing number of people who simply don't want to put out the effort to clean the jersey, even if it means more $ in their pocket.

Kind of like that buyer mfitz had that would rather spend ridiculous amounts of money for his already customized jerseys than send it to EPS himself.

8 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Kind of like that buyer mfitz had that would rather spend ridiculous amounts of money for his already customized jerseys than send it to EPS himself.

Love that guy!!

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Love that guy!!

But not more than the guy who sold you the blank at his cost right?
(it actually helped me too as I needed that $ to buy 6 MIC Adidas all at once)

17 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

But not more than the guy who sold you the blank at his cost right?
(it actually helped me too as I needed that $ to buy 6 MIC Adidas all at once)

A/k/a “the normal price”, yes, I love that guy too lol. 

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

There's also a growing number of people who simply don't want to put out the effort to clean the jersey, even if it means more $ in their pocket.

I’m always a little wary of the auctions that say “some stains, but they may come out”. Because, to me, that might mean that they tried to get them out, but couldn’t. Like, “I dunno, you might be able to get them out...I just couldn’t.” 

Ya know?

5 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

I’m always a little wary of the auctions that say “some stains, but they may come out”. Because, to me, that might mean that they tried to get them out, but couldn’t. Like, “I dunno, you might be able to get them out...I just couldn’t.” 

Ya know?

I usually assume that, because if they “probably” would, I would know by the time I was selling it. But, I’ve learned as noted above that some people don’t try. 

Some people will also wear jerseys with arena food stains all over them because they are afraid to wash a jersey. I mean, we’re a page of knowledgeable collectors and we have a thread on how to properly wash a jersey, so that information is needed here too. Drives me crazy when people are like “I just soaked it in cold water” or “I used very little detergent”. 

I have yet to meet a lot of stains I can't get out.

Glue / heat pressed vynil is a different animal, but I have seen success stories of that "Mongo's restoration" guy on Facebook so someone knows how to do it.

Pizza, Mustard, beer, Kool-Aid, blood, boogers - go ahead and dirty that buggar up, sell it to me for 1/3 the value and I'll take the chance.

I have a small pile of stuff that I wasn't successful on and I keep them around as test material for the next chemical that may eventually save them.
If not, I can always salvage fight straps, crests, make name plate material and so on.

Edited by Hockey Bob

I agree with Hockey Bob - sometimes I track down the dirty stuff if I can get it for a steal.  There hasn't been much out there I haven't been able to make clean.

Now for a quick eBay rant.  If you list something with make an offer - and you receive an offer - RESPOND TO THE OFFER!!!

I don't care if you decline the second you receive it, but why just sit and let it expire? Isn't the whole point is to negotiate until you can find a happy price for both of you?  I don't know why someone wouldn't at least counteroffer back, even if my offer is ridiculously low in your eyes, counteroffer a ridiculously high offer back.  It at least gets a conversation started.  It drives me nuts to sit there a day and never get a response. 

11 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

It drives me nuts to sit there a day and never get a response. 

If memory serves - when you list an item eBay automatically adds the "Make Offer" option.

I've had items I made an offer on, it timed out and I sent the seller a message, They said they never received my offers and we ended up working a deal

I would give that a try and see if you can get any traction

30 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

I agree with Hockey Bob - sometimes I track down the dirty stuff if I can get it for a steal.  There hasn't been much out there I haven't been able to make clean.

Now for a quick eBay rant.  If you list something with make an offer - and you receive an offer - RESPOND TO THE OFFER!!!

I don't care if you decline the second you receive it, but why just sit and let it expire? Isn't the whole point is to negotiate until you can find a happy price for both of you?  I don't know why someone wouldn't at least counteroffer back, even if my offer is ridiculously low in your eyes, counteroffer a ridiculously high offer back.  It at least gets a conversation started.  It drives me nuts to sit there a day and never get a response. 

When I used to sell tons of stuff on eBay with the make-an-offer option, I’d hold off until the very end of the expiration in case someone offered more, or finally bought it outright. If not, I’d accept their offer in the final minutes. It worked in my favor on several occasions. Maybe your seller just forgot, because that happened to me as well.  

As a seller, what I dislike about the offer option is if it doesn’t meet your reserve, you aren’t even notified someone made an offer. I believe it would help many sellers realize their perceived value is much higher if they received five offers on something lower than their reserve, but falling consistent with eachother. Then, maybe they’d lower their price just enough to entice someone to finally purchase the item. 

Edited by thebiggoalie

53 minutes ago, spudrock512 said:

My number one pet peeve.  It takes 10 seconds to just decline an offer.  If it’s a lowball offer just immediately decline it and if it’s a little lower than you want than counter offer.  What’s so hard?  No, the seller has to be a freakin jerk just ignoring it so it expires.  Way to go tough guy, you showed them.

What’s the point of putting OBO on an auction listing when you’re just going to decline any offers that are less than the starting bid?

I found a listing with the starting bid at $39.99 with $12.95 shipping. I offered $37.05 for an even $50 shipped and the seller declined the offer. 

2 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

What’s the point of putting OBO on an auction listing when you’re just going to decline any offers that are less than the starting bid?

I found a listing with the starting bid at $39.99 with $12.95 shipping. I offered $37.05 for an even $50 shipped and the seller declined the offer. 

Exactly right. I have no clue why people do that. If you aren’t willing to deal, don’t use that feature. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Hockey Bob said:

If memory serves - when you list an item eBay automatically adds the "Make Offer" option.

Has anyone listed anything recently?
I'm fairly certain that it adds the OBO without asking. Or at least it did when I listed my goalie equipment.

Also, if someone has a starting bid of $39.99 I would gather that is their bottom.
The OBO option applies if you want to make a higher offer

If it was Buy it now at $39.99 with the OBO option I could see your frustration.