dsl135

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not necessarily

Let's say the starting bid is $39.99 as an auction.
Adding the OBO option allows you as the buyer to shoot the seller an offer of say $100 and they accept to end it now as opposed to letting the auction run to the end. 

38 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Not necessarily

Adding the OBO option allows you as the buyer to shoot the seller an offer of say $100 and they accept to end it now as opposed to letting the auction run to the end. 

Yep. Just did this last night. $0.99 starting bid auction with a $55 BIN. Someone did the BIN. Made me happy :)

32 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Not necessarily

It wasn't clear to me why they added that feature, but this explanation makes sense.  Part of why I didn't understand it was that I've often seen it on items with high starting bids (that then end with no bids, so I know I'm not the only one who thought it was overpriced).

1 minute ago, jsh139 said:

Yep. Just did this last night. $0.99 starting bid auction with a $55 BIN. Someone did the BIN. Made me happy :)

Oh Nevermind. You said OBO. I’ve never listed anything like that but I’ve bought things that were auction with OBO. Makes it easier sometimes. I usually offer a few bucks above the starting bid. If they take it, great. If not, I snipe at the last few seconds as usual 😜

43 minutes ago, Hockey Bob said:

Not necessarily

There have been a couple time I have gotten things lower then their starting bid and it was listed as an auction like that...not often, but it's happened.  Most of the time it is like you stated, starting bid and through out a reasonable offer and it was accepted.

It locked me up a few times as I too was used to seeing the Buy it Now with the OBO option and expecting to get it for less.  
It makes sense to have a starting point and an option to make an offer to end it if you as the seller feels it's fair.

And I didn't say it was difficult to uncheck the box, I just stated that it automatically adds it in.
A seller with limited experience could overlook that.

2 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Hey Bob. I actually grabbed that before I saw your post. I’ll be replacing the fight strap and let you know where I decide to proceed from there. 

Just now, jsh139 said:

Why in the world do people cut out fight straps like that? Sheesh. 

Because it’s hard to use in a fight when it’s stuck inside the back of your jersey?

16 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Why in the world do people cut out fight straps like that? Sheesh. 

To replace fight straps removed from other jerseys that have had their fight straps removed. 

1 hour ago, thebiggoalie said:

To replace fight straps removed from other jerseys that have had their fight straps removed. 

Yup, one douchebag started a chain reaction. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Probably from Staten Island too. 

6 minutes ago, thebiggoalie said:

Probably from Staten Island too. 

4 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Probably a Devils fan too.

Now I have to have the “family” take care of you both. 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, it was that piece of garbage Wayne Gretzky cutting all the fight straps out of his jerseys.

What’s up with people who have no qualms about asking a complete stranger to commit international mail fraud by undervaluing their eBay purchases?

If I have a $275 item, no, I will not lie and say it’s $30 to save a complete stranger money. Especially not where it’s an eBay item and the true cost of the item is immediately ascertainable.

Am I wrong here? Are some of you agreeing to do this?

Haven't had anyone ask me to do it, but for a while I was putting a disclaimer in my auctions stating, "I will ship this item internationally, however, I am not responsible any Customs or import charges that my be imposed upon it.  Please do not ask me to falsely declare the value of this item."

Eventually I just switched over to the Global Shipping Program and I don't even worry about it now.

I have the first parts of it but I thought the last part was implied. I guess not. 

I haven't taken that step yet to just refuse shipping to other countries. From what I am told, its still cheaper that way than through GSP. Especially with hockey jerseys, I don't want to cut off sales to Canada (which is where the same jersey was eventually sold). I know a bunch of Canadians will not buy items sold through the GSP. 

In my experience, the two biggest offenders who ask for this are the UK and Australia. I am sure if you look, they probably have the highest customs charges and that's probably why. 

But still, no. 

I have been asked this a few times via people/deals on FB.  I'm willing to do it only if they send money via F&F and they are fully aware I am not responsible for anything lost or stolen.  Typically they agree but some scoff and I never hear from them again.

I have yet to have been asked that on eBay though.  I have been asked on eBay to do a payment plan on a $400 jersey a few years back from a guy in Sweden IIRC lol.  Naturally he asked if he could have the jersey first and then pay me.

Edited by Devilsguy
Typo

15 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I have been asked on eBay to do a payment plan on a $400 jersey a few years back from a guy in Sweden IIRC lol.  Naturally he asked if he could have the jersey first and then pay me.

You need to trust people more :lol::lol:

Aren't people from Sweden the most trustworthy on the globe?