eBay version 4.0

dsl135

1 hour ago, jsh139 said:

Haven't had anyone ask me to do it, but for a while I was putting a disclaimer in my auctions stating, "I will ship this item internationally, however, I am not responsible any Customs or import charges that my be imposed upon it.  Please do not ask me to falsely declare the value of this item."

Eventually I just switched over to the Global Shipping Program and I don't even worry about it now.

Curious how this affected your sales to Canada or International

58 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have the first parts of it but I thought the last part was implied. I guess not. 

I haven't taken that step yet to just refuse shipping to other countries. From what I am told, its still cheaper that way than through GSP. Especially with hockey jerseys, I don't want to cut off sales to Canada (which is where the same jersey was eventually sold). I know a bunch of Canadians will not buy items sold through the GSP. 

In my experience, the two biggest offenders who ask for this are the UK and Australia. I am sure if you look, they probably have the highest customs charges and that's probably why. 

But still, no. 

True for me for the most part.  I'll still buy if its a really inexpensive item or a really good deal that still makes it worth it but for the most part I'll avoid GSP like the plague.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

Curious how this affected your sales to Canada or International

I actually usually have Canada specifically turned on for direct shipping.  But, for other countries, people have messaged me and asked me to ship to them outside of the GSP, and I have obliged by changing the item to add international direct shipping for their country so that they can BIN.  Haven't had a problem yet.  But, it's possible that I am turning away people, yes.

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

What’s up with people who have no qualms about asking a complete stranger to commit international mail fraud by undervaluing their eBay purchases?

If I have a $275 item, no, I will not lie and say it’s $30 to save a complete stranger money. Especially not where it’s an eBay item and the true cost of the item is immediately ascertainable.

Am I wrong here? Are some of you agreeing to do this?

I am impressed you were able to sell a $275 jersey in the current climate. Congrats! 

Not sure if you fine people remember the issue I had a few years ago related to duty charges...

Marked it full value - $400+

duty charges ended up being around $100. 

Buyer refused the shipment and PayPal issued a refund because he never received the item  

I had to pay the original duty charge, return shipping and another duty charge to get the item back into Canada. 

I ended up having to pay $250 USD to get my jersey back. fortunately PayPal stepped up and gave me $125 USD to help offset the cost because I didn’t do anything wrong.

Eventually I sold the jersey at a huge loss to just forget about the whole thing and not have it staring back at me in my closet. 

51 minutes ago, SnakeOiler12 said:

I am impressed you were able to sell a $275 jersey in the current climate. Congrats! 

It sold for $250 (Best Offer), but I was pleased with that. Thanks!

As a UK based collector I deal with customs fees all the time.  eBays GSP is a nightmare for overseas buyers, my experience is it always costs more than having it shipped outside the program, by as much as 120% in some of my purchases.  I am happy for sellers to write at full value and insure the package, but definitely prefer shipping outside of the eBay GSP.  On a $200 jersey eBay wants to charge $81 in customs fees.  If that was shipped outside the GSP I'd probably pay about $40-$45 at UK customs.  I understand sellers like the simplicity and peace of mind the GSP provides, but there has been many jerseys on eBay I have passed on as the GSP customs charge makes them unaffordable, whereas shipping outside the GSP and letting UK customs calculate the charge is definitely better, IMO!

Just thought you NA guys would be interested to see how the numbers break down!

GSP is an evil deal breaker. 

I'll never ask for a mis-statement for a seller.

I will ask for USPS though, as they include tracking and hand off to Canada Post - and *sometimes* Canada Customs won't assess tax (their choice - and duty never applies to Canadian or US made products).  And now the exempt threshold for Canada Customs is $150 so much more can come over without tax!!

And yes UPS ground is evil too.  Rediculous, unnecessary "Brokerage" Fees.  Also a deal breaker.

Edited by LondonGardens

2 hours ago, Phil the Thrill said:

Is the threshold $150 now? I thought it hadn’t gone into effect yet. 

I mispoke, I looked and it's now $40 for tax and $150 for duty.  I have absolutely noticed though, that I have not been taxed on anything coming in USPS - Canada Post under $150, but have on those shipments over $150. 

Maybe just luck for my specific shipments or maybe they just aren't bothering???

I love how people list a size 48 as XXL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CCM-New-Jersey-Devils-Hockey-Jersey-Adult-2XL-XXL-SEWN-Fight-Strap-90s/264454749692?hash=item3d92bb3dfc:g:kA8AAOSwOZ5dcUcU:sc:USPSFirstClass!60101!US!-1

Ain't no way my veluptuous curves are gonna shoe horn into a 48 and call it an XXL

I was all set to shoot it over to Fitz for the steal, no dice

GD don't make an offer on Ebay on a BIN or Best Offer listing if, within an hour after it's accepted, you ask for it to be cancelled because.....blah...blah...blah (yeah, I've never heard that story before 🙄).

I had a bunch of watchers who are now gone.  I packaged it up.  I've had the selling fees charged to my account.

How hard is it?

Sorry..................../rant

WTF.  eBay charges sales tax on purchases now?!  I had heard that the internet tax rules were changing, but I didn't think eBay would be affected.  That is terrible.

Edited by jsh139

48 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

WTF.  eBay charges sales tax on purchases now?!  I had heard that the internet tax rules were changing, but I didn't think eBay would be affected.  That is terrible.

eBay doesn’t CHARGE tax, the respective State’s governmental agencies do. eBay only collects it for them, because they have to. 

But yes, and I’m continually surprised by it despite having been charged tax at least 20 times. I keep forgetting. 

55 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

For eBay, I was under the impression that tax collection just depended on the location of the buyer and seller.  I made at least 3 purchases in the last 3 weeks and didn’t get charged tax on any of them.  Did this just change now?

1 hour ago, LAK74 said:

For eBay, I was under the impression that tax collection just depended on the location of the buyer and seller.  I made at least 3 purchases in the last 3 weeks and didn’t get charged tax on any of them.  Did this just change now?

I haven't bought anything from eBay in a few months, so I was surprised by it.  I'm not sure how long it's been going on, but I know that something with the tax code changed in July.  But, maybe it's on a state-by-state basis.

Yeah, it's basically the definition of a state-to-state issue.  There are several ways it's been enacted.  This may not be current, but here's a list of them:  https://smallbiztrends.com/2019/01/list-of-states-with-internet-sales-tax.html

Prior to the paypal split, for me ebay purchases resulted in two PP receipts - one to the seller and one to an ebay sales tax collection account.

So, like clockwork, I just got an email from eBay outlining an update to their user agreement regarding sales tax.  It went into effect August 30.  It's almost like they were listening.  👀

I made my first eBay purchase in a while about 2 weeks ago on eBay and got hit with sales tax.

I'm in NJ and the seller was in OH.

3 hours ago, jsh139 said:

So, like clockwork, I just got an email from eBay outlining an update to their user agreement regarding sales tax.  It went into effect August 30.  It's almost like they were listening.  👀

Heh, welcome to the club!  Now that they have the system in place, I'd wager that all ebay buyers will be paying sales tax soon. 

I'm certainly buying less on ebay now that they're collecting sales tax.  I know I don't matter to ebay as an individual customer, but you know, maybe they're listening. 

More and more people are selling on Facebook 

I'm sure jerseys are a very small part of eBay sales but as people get more comfortable selling on FB Marketplace where there are no fees / taxes it could start steering business elsewhere 

3 hours ago, furiousd said:

I'm certainly buying less on ebay now that they're collecting sales tax.  I know I don't matter to ebay as an individual customer, but you know, maybe they're listening. 

They aren’t doing it by choice, they HAVE to do it. Your buying less won’t change that in the slightest. 

True, by now that ship has sailed with respect to eBay. Wasn't really thinking with that comment.

There was a period where retailers could refuse, but iirc the Supreme Court killed that last year. About all that's left are smaller retailers that are currently under the radar. That won't last either.

I do think it's pretty bogus that used goods can be subject to sales/use tax, but that's another argument... that the consumer lost a long time ago. 

5 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I do think it's pretty bogus that used goods can be subject to sales/use tax, but that's another argument... that the consumer lost a long time ago. 

Definitely agree. They made their money on it when it was first sold new.