eBay version 4.0

dsl135

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Need some guidance on an eBay transaction.

March 21: Bought a jersey, it's one I have been after a while and I won it for significantly less than I was willing to go. I paid for it immediately.

March 23: E-mailed the seller because I hadn't heard anything, asking when I would be getting the item. No response.

March 25: Another e-mail. Received a response on March 26 from the seller that he was very sorry, would be including extra items, and would be upgrading to 2nd day air via UPS, who would pick it up the following day. This message included a tracking number.

Following that, the tracking number never updated, I.e. It was never tendered to UPS. I messaged him several times to find out what the status was, but I never heard back.

April 1: I checked the tracking info and found that the UPS label had been voided. I immediately made a claim with eBay to get some protection. No response that inquiry was ever received.

April 3: I was permitted by eBay to request a refund, which I did and I was almost immediately awarded a refund. My card has been credited, so I definitely have the money back. I basically considered it over at that point.

Today, April 5: I received an eBay message that the item has been shipped and that I should pay for it now. The status on eBay states that it was shipped via Priority Mail, but no tracking number is uploaded.

I intentionally did not post negative feedback or act like a jerk for the exact reason that this may happen, as I do really, really still want the jersey. But obviously now I am skeptical.

I messaged him back to ask what was going on, basically to see if he responds or if he continues playing a game. If I do get a response, I am going to suggest to him that I will not pay for the item until I receive a tracking number AND I track it and see some evidence that it has moved, OR not until I receive the item, can't decide. I don't think either is unreasonable given the circumstances. Plus, as he is close by, I should know within a day, that's all Priority Mail should take from him to me.

Every instinct I have is to tell him where to go, but I do still gave the outside hope that I can get the jersey, which Is sufficiently rare and essentially is unavailable elsewhere.

Seller has 605 feedback rating, 100% positive.

What would YOU do?

Edited by mfitz804

I would call eBay support. They are pretty great over the phone the few times I've talked to them.

Here's my take, the transaction was cancelled and you got a refund. Ebay shouldn't have allowed the seller to update that the item had shipped on a cancelled transaction. It's also weird that the seller would send the item if he no longer had payment, all without communicating with you his intentions.

Talk to eBay and make sure you can't be hit with a non-paying bidder strike. If it were me, I'd wait to actually get the item in my hands before sending payment again.

I would contact eBay. I've never heard of eBay giving a refund and then sending another message telling you to pay for the item again.

If they say that things are on the up and up, I wouldn't pay for it until I receive the item.

This is incredibly shady.

I agree it's shady. But as I said, not ready to give up on the jersey.

I messaged him immediately after getting the eBay message to pay, thinking if he initiated it, he'd be around to respond.

No response yet.

Ebay's software is glitchy as hell that often results in situations that make no sense whatsoever and goes against their own policies. It's like the Metropolitan Division where even an amateur hockey team can make the playoffs and get home ice.

It's like the Metropolitan Division where even an amateur hockey team can make the playoffs and get home ice.

As a Devils fan, I couldn't disagree more.

Update:

Seller emailed me overnight, said his 10 year old twice took the package in from his porch where he had left it for UPS. No explanation as to hiw that kept him from emailing me, or responding to the PayPal claim.

He says he dropped it off to UPS on Friday (which may be Saturday because he also said "yesterday" at some point in the email).

He provided a tracking number, which I tracked and they have no record of.

In any event, he suggested that I wait until I get the item, make sure I'm satisfied, and if so, keep it and pay him minus $25 for the inconvenience. All his idea, I didn't suggest it.

Or, he said I could send it back, he provided his address, and he would PayPal me $20 for the inconvenience (I wouldn't hold my breath).

So, I'm assuming at some point in the next day or two, I'll know more. In the meantime, I'm out no money and I'm no worse for wear if it never shows up.

I guess there's nothing to do but wait and see.

Definitely a very odd way of doing business on his end, but it sounds like things will work out. You're not out any money, so you're either getting the jersey (and then you can pay him), or you don't get the jersey, and you don't pay him.

Definitely a very odd way of doing business on his end, but it sounds like things will work out. You're not out any money, so you're either getting the jersey (and then you can pay him), or you don't get the jersey, and you don't pay him.

Exactly. I'm fine with that, especially since I can't find the jersey elsewhere. I'd rather still have a chance it might arrive. That's why I didn't hit him with a negative right away, he probably would not have been inclined to still sell it to me if I had.

Here I'll be the one to say it....

All I know is if that was me and that jersey shows up on my doorstep, after having to file a claim and deal with this hassle, I am not sending money. Everyone is on their smart phones, it isn't difficult to email someone more often than every 3-4 days. eBay already closed the case so you cannot get in trouble.

I had this happen to me before. Paid for a jersey and the tracking number couldn't be found. I emailed the seller and he told me "I don't know". I gave it 25 business days and opened up a claim, which I immediately got my money back from. Kid you not, two days later the F(&^*** thing shows up in a ripped bag with a crappy label and bad hand writing. Never heard from the seller again, I wasn't sending any money.

Here I'll be the one to say it....

All I know is if that was me and that jersey shows up on my doorstep, after having to file a claim and deal with this hassle, I am not sending money. Everyone is on their smart phones, it isn't difficult to email someone more often than every 3-4 days. eBay already closed the case so you cannot get in trouble.

I had this happen to me before. Paid for a jersey and the tracking number couldn't be found. I emailed the seller and he told me "I don't know". I gave it 25 business days and opened up a claim, which I immediately got my money back from. Kid you not, two days later the F(&^*** thing shows up in a ripped bag with a crappy label and bad hand writing. Never heard from the seller again, I wasn't sending any money.

Sorry, but that's just wrong. You're stealing, or at the very least being extremely dishonest.

A seller may act stupidly, but that doesn't give you the right to keep their item once they accidentally sent it to you after the listing was closed. You should either return it at that point, or pay for it. Them "giving you a hassle" doesn't entitle you to keep something that you haven't paid for. And you absolutely can get in trouble. If the person wants to contact the police, I'm sure that would be a situation where you could be liable. eBay finding in your favor when they didn't ship it doesn't entitle you to keep it at a later date.

Sorry Kurt, but that's extremely dishonest on your part, and completely immoral behavior.

Sorry, but that's just wrong. You're stealing, or at the very least being extremely dishonest.

A seller may act stupidly, but that doesn't give you the right to keep their item once they accidentally sent it to you after the listing was closed. You should either return it at that point, or pay for it. Them "giving you a hassle" doesn't entitle you to keep something that you haven't paid for. And you absolutely can get in trouble. If the person wants to contact the police, I'm sure that would be a situation where you could be liable. eBay finding in your favor when they didn't ship it doesn't entitle you to keep it at a later date.

Sorry Kurt, but that's extremely dishonest on your part, and completely immoral behavior.

Yeah, that is a little fraudulent. Still love ya buddy but I have to disagree with you on that one.

Its especially true where there is a tracking number, too. If he actually sent it how he says, he'll know when I get it. And, if he shows eBay that he did deliver it, I'd have to return it or pay for it, or eBay would side with him and take the money from me. This is still true where they gave me a refund, because that doesn't actually cancel the transaction. The seller would have to take an additional step to cancel, which of course eBay prefers they don't do so they can pocket the fee even though the item never sold.

Too easy to call the police or otherwise get me into hot water, not going to mess around with that. This is especially true where the seller and I are less than an hour apart. Same as where in my younger years I'd consider jumping in the car and knocking on his door, so too could he, and who knows how crazy he may be.

All I want is my jersey, I'm still willing to pay and will still be getting it for less than I was willing to pay.

That being said, still no update to the tracking info.

I don't disagree and I think your case is a little different. My jersey was coming from Slovakia I think. I don't really remember. I tried every option when contacting this guy, and I paid for expensive shipping too. When he answered with "I don't know" I was pissed. Once the jersey showed up I certainly wasn't paying $30+ to ship it back, and at this point it was already 40 days into the process since I first paid for it. Made me never buy a jersey from overseas again.

I guess if this guy is staying open with you then that's one thing. But honestly it's one of the dumbest things I have ever read on here on his part. I hope it works out for you and it will since you have nothing to worry about with getting your money back but who ships a jersey accidentally after someone opens a claim and gets the money refunded? That's just negligence on his end. He should have A) responded like a normal person and explained things sooner or B ) shipped it once you paid.

Edited by flyhighguys94

I don't disagree and I think your case is a little different. My jersey was coming from Slovakia I think. I don't really remember. I tried every option when contacting this guy, and I paid for expensive shipping too. When he answered with "I don't know" I was pissed. Once the jersey showed up I certainly wasn't paying $30+ to ship it back, and at this point it was already 40 days into the process since I first paid for it. Made me never buy a jersey from overseas again.

I guess if this guy is staying open with you then that's one thing. But honestly it's one of the dumbest things I have ever read on here on his part. I hope it works out for you and it will since you have nothing to worry about with getting your money back but who ships a jersey accidentally after someone opens a claim and gets the money refunded? That's just negligence on his end. He should have A) responded like a normal person and explained things sooner or B ) shipped it once you paid.

No doubt its a different situation. I know you aren't out there looking to steal from people, the fact that your seller did such a poor job is his own fault.

The situation in my case is ridiculous, and in his messages, the seller even acknowledges that its ridiculous. Even if his daughter bringing in the package thinking it was incoming rather than outgoing was plausible, it doesn't explain his complete failure to respond to my messages OR an actual filed eBay claim.

Personally, I would NEVER ship an item without having received payment, regardless of the circumstances. But this guy doesn't seem worried about it at all. To me, that means 1) he didn't actually send it and I am again waiting for something that will not arrive (tracking info STILL has not updated), or 2) he knows he has someone honest on the other end.

In any event, I am expecting that the item should be delivered no later than Wednesday if he is telling the truth. Only time will tell.

I also in no way wanted to sound like I condone criminal activity haha. I'm probably one of the biggest sissys when it comes to stuff like that, I was more or less thinking over my situation which was probably unique in the sense the shipping was half of the price the jersey was, it came from Slovakia and was supposed to be priority shipping and the tracking number was never found on their website or USPS. Then I contacted the guy multiple times before I got the "idk" answer. So I was wrong in saying "just keep it". If it shows up that is impressive. I doubt it will at this point. But at least you're safe and if it does show up Id at least contact the guy first before just shooting money over.

Edited by flyhighguys94

I'm going to need him to send me an invoice with the $25 discount he offered, so it'll be on him.

Something tells me, that will be a lot quicker to come than his previous messages.

I'm going to need him to send me an invoice with the $25 discount he offered, so it'll be on him.

Something tells me, that will be a lot quicker to come than his previous messages.

Haha if he actually shipped it I bet that invoice shows up in a few hours instead of a few days.

Does sounds like a very unusual situation no doubt. Only little shipping note from past personal experience... While tracking is great and works correctly 95+% of the time its not completely fool proof either. Just because the tracking hasn't updated doesn't necessarily mean it is not on the way to you. Just a few weeks ago I had ordered something from BH Photo in NYC and it was being shipped to me in NJ. It should have been a 1 or 2 day process max. After being initially scanned into the system upon pickup from the BH warehouse it didn't update at all for 3 or 4 days and then when it finally did it was somewhere in the mid west, Wisconsin I think. Long story short it ended up taking 8 business days to get to me. Somehow either by human error or an automated mistake it got miss sorted as going west bound and didn't get scanned again until it was in Wisconsin 3 or 4 days later. Although everything with tracking should get scanned at each stop etc it just doesn't always happen. This was UPS delivering this package too which at least in my opinion is usually better in terms of accurate tracking than the postal service is.

Hope it all works out for you!