eBay version 4.0

dsl135

Is there not a formula for buyers and sellers to determine the duty BEFORE entering into the transaction? All I ever hear is people being surprised by the duty.

Only eBay global shipping, but the issue is it's similar to UPS' way of doing things, where most of what your paying is a charge for eBay services that aren't necessary. Basically, eBay charges the duty+a handling fee+the seller pays TWO shipping fees because instead of the seller sending the package to the buyer, the seller sends the package to eBay's facilities, who perform their service, and then send it to the buyer.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

This service makes a lot of sense if it allows sellers to expand their scope and sell to high risk countries that they otherwise would have blocked. But US to Canada or vice versa is not risk country.

Even if sent fully insured with no bsing about the item's value, I'm unsure how USPS handles things when something comes into the states, but in Canada, at most with Canada Post you get charged the tax, and a handling fee that I think is 5 dollars.

The only time this happened to me was a time when I ordered something that was 700 or 800 dollars. I was hit with a 90something dollar charge. It was unexpected, but it was reasonable since tax in Ontario is 13 percent, so if I bought it here I would have paid around 90 for tax.

Compare that to being charged 40 bucks for a 60 or 70 dollar package from UPS (on top of what I paid the seller for shipping), or eBay global shipping on certain auctions making it so that for a 100 dollar item, a Canadian buyer is being asked to pay 100 shipping. (Shipping including all eBay global shipping fees and supposed import fees). Tax on that 100 dollar item would be 13 dollars in Ontario, shipping might be 15-30 from US to Canada depending on the size and weight of the item.

So in that situation the seller is basically paying eBay 70 for a service, because the buyer has decided that the item was worth $200 dollars to them. Meaning instead of asking $100+eBay Global Shipping, the seller could have asked $170 plus the true cost of $30 shipping.

It also hurts your auctions if you're a US seller, since less Canadians will bid and drive up the price if you participate in global shipping. So now local US customers win your auctions for significantly less. Especially with hockey jerseys where a lot of collectors are Canadian, if you're a US seller who participates in global shipping, you're probably cutting off a big chunk of your potential market for the item.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My god...a sc 2012 patch (weren't in it) a practice center ice patch (on a game jersey) an American flag on the from and back (not a 2001 jersey). That's a hobknob of crap there looks like he sewed on any patch he could find.

I see it all the time at Devils games. People think it's a great idea to put all 3 SC patches on their jerseys from the years they won the cup. Then they wonder why when they try to sell on eBay no one will buy at for the ridiculous (usually $200+) they are usually asking.

I see it all the time at Devils games. People think it's a great idea to put all 3 SC patches on their jerseys from the years they won the cup. Then they wonder why when they try to sell on eBay no one will buy at for the ridiculous (usually $200+) they are usually asking.

At least if they did that, it would be SCF's that the Devils actually played in. A 2012 Finals patch on a Rangers jersey makes no sense.

Not to say those multiple SCF patch jerseys aren't stupid, because they still are.

Update #3

Both eBay and Paypal say the buyer is in the wrong and they have to pay for any costs associated with me getting the jersey back. They also said if he filed a chargeback against his credit card I've provided them enough information in advance to stop it.

So the buyer has two options-

1. Suck it up and pay the duty charges, with my $50 I've offered to offset them. He gets a nice jersey for $100 extra (which is BS from UPS but whatever)

2. I tell UPS to ship the package back to me, buyer gets a refund, minus the costs of getting the jersey back to me. He pays $200 to get nothing.

Update #3

Both eBay and Paypal say the buyer is in the wrong and they have to pay for any costs associated with me getting the jersey back. They also said if he filed a chargeback against his credit card I've provided them enough information in advance to stop it.

So the buyer has two options-

1. Suck it up and pay the duty charges, with my $50 I've offered to offset them. He gets a nice jersey for $100 extra (which is BS from UPS but whatever)

2. I tell UPS to ship the package back to me, buyer gets a refund, minus the costs of getting the jersey back to me. He pays $200 to get nothing.

Congrats!!! That must be a relief.

Thanks guys. It's not quite over yet, but it will be a huge relief once I get it back.

PS - anyone want to buy a carter purple vintage size 56? :)

I'll post it once it gets back to me.

What can brown do for you? As the slogan goes. What they can do is take a long walk off a short pier.

Interesting that eBay/paypal are siding with you even though you shipped ups and not usps like you put in the auction. If I was the buyer that would be my arguing point but that's neither here nor there.

Congrats

That's a good ending. Personally if he tries to screw you, the $50 offset should be retracted. For me it would depend on how he conducted himself.

I think I might have said this before in the thread, but you can self clear packages into Canada. If you want to help him out, you may want to mention to him to look into whether he can self clear the package in the US. A lot of UPS' fees result from the clearing of the package, since you're technically paying them for that service (even know you can do it yourself for free).

If that is the case, the fees might be dramatically smaller for him, giving the situation a bit more of a positive outcome.

Good to hear that you didn't have to do what amounts to buying back your own jersey.

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

What can brown do for you? As the slogan goes. What they can do is take a long walk off a short pier.

Interesting that eBay/paypal are siding with you even though you shipped ups and not usps like you put in the auction. If I was the buyer that would be my arguing point but that's neither here nor there.

Congrats

The guy thinks he bought the jersey from a website called hockeyhermit.com - which is basically a catalogue of eBay listings that they pretend to list as their own.

The reason why he had 0 feedback is that he created a guest account on eBay and a guest account on Paypal.

When eBay and Paypal contacted him, he forwarded me their emails and said that he wasn't a member on either site and did not know why they were contacting him.

Ever since I gave him his two options, he has ignored me and my guess is he is just hoping for the best if he does nothing.

Also I don't think he understands the difference between UPS and USPS.

The guy thinks he bought the jersey from a website called hockeyhermit.com - which is basically a catalogue of eBay listings that they pretend to list as their own.

The reason why he had 0 feedback is that he created a guest account on eBay and a guest account on Paypal.

When eBay and Paypal contacted him, he forwarded me their emails and said that he wasn't a member on either site and did not know why they were contacting him.

Ever since I gave him his two options, he has ignored me and my guess is he is just hoping for the best if he does nothing.

Also I don't think he understands the difference between UPS and USPS.

Man that is really strange. Sounds like it'll work out in your favor though.

That makes sense, he is probably not a scammer then but instead probably someone who is computer illiterate.

That site looks like an affiliate marketing site. They probably make a few percent of every sale they drive to eBay, and attempt to gain customers through having a high enough search engine ranking.

Update #92834710032 on my a$$hole buyer

Buyer initiated a chargeback with his credit card company. I called PayPal right away and they said that the credit card company will honour the chargeback because he never received the item regardless of him refusing delivery of the item or not.

So I'm getting f*cked over by this guy in California for doing the right thing and he even gets refunded the $22 in shipping.

PayPal really stepped up to the plate and said they would give me $150 to cover a good portion of the cost that I paid ($195) to get the jersey back.

In total it cost me $97 to ship the jersey to this guy and get it back, after paypal helped me out.

Anyone in Lakewood California want to go and bother this guy for me? :)