eBay version 4.0

dsl135

1 hour ago, Committed said:

Out of all the information in this forum how do we NOT have a "How to sneak your new pickup into the house" tutorial? 

It takes a bit of effort...I do a pickup run to my UPS Store box about once a week. If I have more than 1,  I take them to work and put them in my locker. I then take them home one at a time neatly folded in my back pack. When she's not looking, take said jersey out of my backpack and bury it in the collection.  

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lately I have been listing jerseys on eBay starting at $9.99 with a reserve (usually between $150-250 depending on the jersey).  After a few jerseys have gone through the auctions, it is interesting to see some of the patterns on there.  Basically when the price is between $9.99 and about $100-120, you get one set of bidders and then from $100-120 and up you get another set.  The former set basically is almost all bargain hunters and flippers who are bidding on it and will aggressively email me with an offer that is not much more than the current bid if I end the auction early and sell it outright to them.  In fact, some of these people are the same people who message me on FB or jersey forums about the item before I put it on eBay, I give them the price (which is at or near the reserve price) and then I never hear back from them until they bid on my jersey when it's really low.

I know a lot of us on here are bargain hunters when it comes to jerseys, but as a seller this is beyond discouraging as eBay has turned more and more into flea market (though to be fair it always has been).  However, it is turning into a flea market where the power is almost 100% in the buyer's favor with the silly eBay policies, mistrust of sellers, etc.  I know this is a bit of the "get off my lawn statement", but I really miss the days when most buyers and sellers were just looking for a fair deal instead of trying to screw each other over.

I completely agree.  That's why I've been abandoning the Auction with reserve type listing and have gone straight to Fixed-Price with best offer.  I will usually list the item 25% higher than my drop-dead price and just leave it there and forget about it.  This has worked out pretty well for me.  Occasionally the item will sell at the listed price and that makes me happy. I even set automatic declines on offers below a certain point, which helps in the back-and-forth.

What kills me is the amount of fees it costs to sell on eBay. 10% of the selling price, plus 3% to Paypal.  WTF.

42 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

What kills me is the amount of fees it costs to sell on eBay. 10% of the selling price, plus 3% to Paypal.  WTF.

I've said it before, it's the price you pay to have your listing exposed to millions of possible buyers. I've been selling on eBay for almost 20 years, and in my experience, if you sell enough, you'll get at least 13% more for your items on average, the fee covers itself. 

Not saying that happens on EVERY item, mind you, but on average, that's been my experience. 

I'm strictly BIN with best offer option on all my stuff.  Set it and forget it as Ron Popeil would say.  The fees are horrible but where else will you get the exposed that feebay offers.

2 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

I'm strictly BIN with best offer option on all my stuff.  Set it and forget it as Ron Popeil would say.  The fees are horrible but where else will you get the exposed that feebay offers.

Same price a little higher than what I want and also offer to sell of eBay for a win win for both parties 

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I've said it before, it's the price you pay to have your listing exposed to millions of possible buyers. I've been selling on eBay for almost 20 years, and in my experience, if you sell enough, you'll get at least 13% more for your items on average, the fee covers itself. 

Not saying that happens on EVERY item, mind you, but on average, that's been my experience. 

In my experience, the exposure eBay brings means little to nothing.  Most of the jerseys I sell are gamers and the price alone will narrow down the potential buyer pool quite a bit unless I am willing to take a massive loss on it.  Of the last 10 gamers I have sold overall, 3 were on eBay and the other 7 were on FB where I do not get hit with the 13% fee.

BIN with best offer rarely works.  I put my BIN price about 10-20% my rock bottom price and every time I still get offers of 60-90% off my asking price.  I know that I am not being unreasonable as I usually end up selling that same jersey on FB at or above my rock bottom price I was asking on eBay.

Truth is most people on eBay are either flip artists or bargain bin hunters.  No one wants a fair deal, they want to walk away thinking they "won."  I had a guy who gave me a semi decent offer and we were $100 apart.  I ended up coming down $50 to meet him halfway, but he wouldn't as he basically told me that he wanted to "walk away feeling good about it."  In other words, he wanted to feel like he screwed me over.

4 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

In my experience, the exposure eBay brings means little to nothing.  Most of the jerseys I sell are gamers and the price alone will narrow down the potential buyer pool quite a bit unless I am willing to take a massive loss on it.  Of the last 10 gamers I have sold overall, 3 were on eBay and the other 7 were on FB where I do not get hit with the 13% fee.

BIN with best offer rarely works.  I put my BIN price about 10-20% my rock bottom price and every time I still get offers of 60-90% off my asking price.  I know that I am not being unreasonable as I usually end up selling that same jersey on FB at or above my rock bottom price I was asking on eBay.

Truth is most people on eBay are either flip artists or bargain bin hunters.  No one wants a fair deal, they want to walk away thinking they "won."  I had a guy who gave me a semi decent offer and we were $100 apart.  I ended up coming down $50 to meet him halfway, but he wouldn't as he basically told me that he wanted to "walk away feeling good about it."  In other words, he wanted to feel like he screwed me over.

That may be your experience with game worn jerseys, but I have sold things on eBay for close to what I wanted that I couldn't sell elsewhere at any price multiple hundreds of times. Including jerseys that I've tried to sell on this site, but I think authentics that are not game worn tend to be harder to sell anyway, especially to this crowd where gamers seem to be the thing. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That may be your experience with game worn jerseys, but I have sold things on eBay for close to what I wanted that I couldn't sell elsewhere at any price multiple hundreds of times. Including jerseys that I've tried to sell on this site, but I think authentics that are not game worn tend to be harder to sell anyway, especially to this crowd where gamers seem to be the thing. 

That's funny you say that as I see this more of an authentic crowd with gamers and then replicas behind it in that order.  I see way more authentics in the for sale threads than I do gamers and the only times I have gotten messages on here to buy my stuff were for non-gamers.

Just now, Dr_Puck said:

The problem with selling on Facebook is that one has to be on Facebook. And as of late, that's been not a fun place. Plus there are way too many tire kickers on Facebook.

Amen. Actually, amen to all of this.

Oh not denying that there are tons of tire kickers on Facebook.  However I am still able to sell more on there for the prices I am comfortable with and without taking the 13% hit.  Also since I have them send as a friend/family, the ball is in my court and I don't have to worry about them trying to file a dispute to screw me over like on Facebook.

1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

The problem with selling on Facebook is that one has to be on Facebook. And as of late, that's not been a fun place. Plus there are way too many tire kickers on Facebook.

That's my issue.  No desire to sign up for it.  

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

That's funny you say that as I see this more of an authentic crowd with gamers and then replicas behind it in that order.  I see way more authentics in the for sale threads than I do gamers and the only times I have gotten messages on here to buy my stuff were for non-gamers.

That's 'cause nobody is buying them!!

lol figures that 24 hours after I b**** about eBay one of my jerseys hit it's reserve and still has 5 days left lol.

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

lol figures that 24 hours after I b**** about eBay one of my jerseys hit it's reserve and still has 5 days left lol.

I also noticed that at least one of the jerseys you have up on eBay, you don't have listed in your "fee free" sale thread on this site. I was wondering if there was logic behind that, or if you just didn't do it. 

Seems like a no brainer to throw anything you have for sale up on here, since it costs nothing. Just trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong by doing so. 

Was thinking of chasing the aforementioned jersey, even though its game worn, but its a little TOO game worn for my non-game worn collecting Arse. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I also noticed that at least one of the jerseys you have up on eBay, you don't have listed in your "fee free" sale thread on this site. I was wondering if there was logic behind that, or if you just didn't do it. 

Seems like a no brainer to throw anything you have for sale up on here, since it costs nothing. Just trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong by doing so. 

Was thinking of chasing the aforementioned jersey, even though its game worn, but its a little TOO game worn for my non-game worn collecting Arse. 

Quite honestly it slipped my mind and the other reason is that it is easier to load listings on there than it is on here.  I listed that jersey on eBay directly with the eBay app.  On here to add photos I have to add to my flickr and then copy the BB code/link in order for it to show up right in my listings.  In other words I have to use my laptop to put it on there.  If it went through an entire cycle of not getting bidded on I would have put it on here, but the last part is that after 3 or 4 years of being on here, I have yet to sell a single jersey on here.

It's a really nice jersey and happy that it only took about 30ish hours for it to hit the reserve.  Still has about 27 watchers on it so the interest is there.  Gotten emails about it as well, so I know it's a popular one.  What's funny is that a couple years ago Meigray had a couple of gamers with the names on the back at $500-600 and they sat there for months.  Now it seems everyone wants one as just recently as last week someone was looking for a Utica Devils jersey.  They seemed to have just dried up.

32 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Quite honestly it slipped my mind and the other reason is that it is easier to load listings on there than it is on here.  I listed that jersey on eBay directly with the eBay app.  On here to add photos I have to add to my flickr and then copy the BB code/link in order for it to show up right in my listings.  In other words I have to use my laptop to put it on there.  If it went through an entire cycle of not getting bidded on I would have put it on here, but the last part is that after 3 or 4 years of being on here, I have yet to sell a single jersey on here.

It's a really nice jersey and happy that it only took about 30ish hours for it to hit the reserve.  Still has about 27 watchers on it so the interest is there.  Gotten emails about it as well, so I know it's a popular one.  What's funny is that a couple years ago Meigray had a couple of gamers with the names on the back at $500-600 and they sat there for months.  Now it seems everyone wants one as just recently as last week someone was looking for a Utica Devils jersey.  They seemed to have just dried up.

I use Photobucket because I can post pictures here by copying/pasting the ling from their app. But I get you, it does take a few more minutes here. 

I'm surprised you've never sold anything here, I have sold a bunch (mostly to the same 5 guys/1 girl, you know who you are). If I were a gamer collector I think you and I would be doing business. 

33 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Also and yeah the jersey is beaten to hell lol.

Yeah, it looks like it has herpes lol. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I use Photobucket because I can post pictures here by copying/pasting the ling from their app. But I get you, it does take a few more minutes here. 

I'm surprised you've never sold anything here, I have sold a bunch (mostly to the same 5 guys/1 girl, you know who you are). If I were a gamer collector I think you and I would be doing business. 

Yeah, it looks like it has herpes lol. 

From the people who I think you are talking about, I don't think any are really game worn collectors.  Believe it or not when I sell my gamers on FB, it is either on a private Devils Game Worn group or on a general Devils fan FB page (people there just want a nice, unique and expensive souvenir).  The main, big game worn FB group I list, but rarely sell as Devils gamers are rarely posted and/or discussed.  Just the way things are.

The good thing about he wear is that the higher level of wear appeals to game worn collectors, who covet wear on their jerseys.  I have passed on some nice stuff due to lack of wear (one of which back in the spring was a beautiful game worn Tommy Albelin 90-91 red christmas tree game worn jersey.  Great jersey, a player I like, but virtually clean jersey was the killer for me even though it had a Meigray LOA).

18 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

From the people who I think you are talking about, I don't think any are really game worn collectors.  Believe it or not when I sell my gamers on FB, it is either on a private Devils Game Worn group or on a general Devils fan FB page (people there just want a nice, unique and expensive souvenir).  The main, big game worn FB group I list, but rarely sell as Devils gamers are rarely posted and/or discussed.  Just the way things are.

The good thing about he wear is that the higher level of wear appeals to game worn collectors, who covet wear on their jerseys.  I have passed on some nice stuff due to lack of wear (one of which back in the spring was a beautiful game worn Tommy Albelin 90-91 red christmas tree game worn jersey.  Great jersey, a player I like, but virtually clean jersey was the killer for me even though it had a Meigray LOA).

Well obviously they like authentic if they are buying from me...

Make sure you send the next clean 90-91 game worn size 56 my way!!

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, Devilsguy said:

On the Flickr app you can open up the picture that you want, press the arrow button on the bottom, copy url, and then just paste it directly onto the message box on here.  It will automatically insert the picture.  I load up all my pics on here straight from my phone.

7 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

On the Flickr app you can open up the picture that you want, press the arrow button on the bottom, copy url, and then just paste it directly onto the message box on here.  It will automatically insert the picture.  I load up all my pics on here straight from my phone.

Don't use the flickr app, but might have to try it now that you told me this.

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, TMLFAN said:

That's how the photobucket app works, too.  Most of my posts with pictures originate from my phone, because it's just easier.

Also looks more and more like I have a deadbeat buyer on my hands.  Will post his handle on here if it is resolved with non-payment.

Edited by Devilsguy