eBay version 4.0

dsl135

13 hours ago, cjerina said:

Speaking of annoying ebay stuff, as a seller with "Best Offer" enabled, I am tired of the "what is your best price?".... like seriously, are you so insecure about submitting an offer that you won't even try? Throw a number down, as even if I have a "best price" of $100, if you offer $95, I'll probably just suck it up and accept the offer.

Yeah that happens to me all the time whether it be on eBay or FB.  On eBay I tell them to make me an offer first.  When they insist on me making the first offer I tell them that my BIN price is my first offer.

i can't remember the last time I ever sold something to anyone whose first question was that.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

Yeah that happens to me all the time whether it be on eBay or FB.  On eBay I tell them to make me an offer first.  When they insist on me making the first offer I tell them that my BIN price is my first offer.

i can't remember the last time I ever sold something to anyone whose first question was that.

My exact experience as well. Half-tempted to start blocking those people and put a disclaimer as well.

3 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

It’s right up there with “what’s the lowest price you’ll accept”, to which I respond “what’s the highest price you’ll pay?”. 

Best Offer is an invitation to make an offer, just press the button and do it!!

I always seriously lowball on my first offer. I’m talking more than 75% off of the base price. Worst case scenario, it gets auto-rejected and I have to try again. 

10 minutes ago, TheKevinShow said:

I always seriously lowball on my first offer. I’m talking more than 75% off of the base price. Worst case scenario, it gets auto-rejected and I have to try again. 

I also do this, and have had those accepted quite a few times. At worst, you get auto rejected, but you might also get a counter offer that will reveal how serious they are about their price. 

My pet peeve, though, is people who don’t respond. Accept, counter or deny, don’t just leave offers hanging. 

1 hour ago, TheKevinShow said:

I always thought that 50% off was lowballing to the max. But indeed, why not 75%? :)

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

My pet peeve, though, is people who don’t respond. Accept, counter or deny, don’t just leave offers hanging. 

Personally, if someone is insultingly low with their offer, I'd consider not responding and just leave the offer hanging out there... it presents an opportunity for another buyer to see "Offer pending" and get more serious about what they want to offer, since I may accept the initial offer from the other buyer.

More often than not, though, I respond and take a penny off of the asking price. If someone doesn't want to be serious with their first offer, I'm not going to be serious with mine, lol

Ugh. I hate you lowballers. There's a reasonable amount that could be offered which is low, but not a complete insult. But asking for 50%+ of the list price? Give me a break. I'll usually respond with some snarky comment to those people. They never buy anyway as they only want to spend what knockoffs are going for.

4 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

Ugh. I hate you lowballers. There's a reasonable amount that could be offered which is low, but not a complete insult. But asking for 50%+ of the list price? Give me a break. I'll usually respond with some snarky comment to those people. They never buy anyway as they only want to spend what knockoffs are going for.

I’ve paid $50 for a jersey listed at $200. Twice. As long as it keeps working, I’ll keep trying. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ve paid $50 for a jersey listed at $200. Twice. As long as it keeps working, I’ll keep trying. 

I suppose some of this depends on what the market value really is.  I try to set realistic BINs - most of us here do.  So when the 25% offer comes in, that actually makes me less likely to ever accept an offer from that person.

5 minutes ago, gwarjis said:

Anyone know what size this jersey would equate to?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Gunzos-CCM-Authentic-Chicago-Blackhawks-NHL-Jersey-40-Fightstrap/312128623556?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It says 30" pit to pit, but I'm not the best with ultrafil measurements...

I'd ask them to clarify if they measured it under the gussets. That would be a huge jersey.  Can't really tell the proportions on the mannequin.

36 minutes ago, gwarjis said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Gunzos-CCM-Authentic-Chicago-Blackhawks-NHL-Jersey-40-Fightstrap/312128623556?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The sizes on the old jerseys actually equated to the chest measurement. Generally speaking, a pit to pit measurement should yield half the size; I measured a 56 yesterday, and it was 28" across, as it should be. 

A measurement of 30" on an Ultrafil sounds like either a big size, 56 or 58 (there was some variation, I have at least one 56 that's about 29.5"), or the measurement is incorrect. 

I'm more concerned about that wonky CCM tag, but I will leave that to someone with more knowledge than I. 

59 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I used to get more worked up about this, but these days not so much as I have just come to accept lowballers.

I do remember getting an offer of either $6 or $12 for a jersey that I had for $250 BIN.  Even with low balling that is pretty bad.

8 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I used to get more worked up about this, but these days not so much as I have just come to accept lowballers.

I do remember getting an offer of either $6 or $12 for a jersey that I had for $250 BIN.  Even with low balling that is pretty bad.

Yeah that's pretty bad, I wouldn't do that. But all the time it happens that someone has a $250 jersey, I offer $100, and then they counter back at like $150. It can be useful to see what the seller's intentions really are. Doesn't always work, but it does at times. 

Of course, I only use that tactic when its an item I am iffy on; if I definitely want it, my offers are usually more substantial in hopes I can get it before someone else. 

But when you see a jersey hanging around for months and the seller still has it, that's usually a good time to gauge how interested he is in selling it. 

3 hours ago, gwarjis said:

I'd ask for the measurement to be along the bottom hem.
Pit to pit could be including the gussets which I have seen sellers do that to make a jersey seem bigger than it actually is.

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The sizes on the old jerseys actually equated to the chest measurement. Generally speaking, a pit to pit measurement should yield half the size; I measured a 56 yesterday, and it was 28" across, as it should be. 

A measurement of 30" on an Ultrafil sounds like either a big size, 56 or 58 (there was some variation, I have at least one 56 that's about 29.5"), or the measurement is incorrect. 

I'm more concerned about that wonky CCM tag, but I will leave that to someone with more knowledge than I. 

Hmm... Now that I compare it to the Jersey Bible, it seems to be little off. The Indian Head is a little off and so does the hem... Not sure if that's because of human error or what.

12 hours ago, amonte78 said:

I always thought that 50% off was lowballing to the max. But indeed, why not 75%? :)

I wish this conversation came up a few days sooner, so I could have worked on my lowball tactic. ;)

A couple days ago, I offered 55-60% of the asking price on a jersey, and it was accepted right quick.  It's left me wondering what I could have gotten the jersey for from a likely motivated seller.  Their asking price was quite high though in the 300 range, so I really offered almost FMV on it.  I definitely should have adjusted my offer to what FMV was, but I figured if they valued the jersey as highly as they did, they'd likely not accept and we'd move on... BUT as it turns out I've got another jersey at a fair price rather than what would qualify as a deal or a steal.

Edited by JJM4

4 minutes ago, Hawks2797 said:

Is it me or does the fight strap look like theres two sewn on?  looking at the back of the jersey.

Yes it does appear that way.  Very odd... if I was a prospective buyer, I'd be asking for some better pics of the fight strap area on the inside of the jersey.

Most likely the original fight strap was cut off, leaving just a stub.  A second strap along with another twill cover appears to have been stitched down on top of the stub, but in a lower position.  Instead of stripping off the original twill cover and removing the stitching and stub, they just left it there and stitched the new strap over the old cover.  It would have looked a lot better if they had just removed the old cover, it’s nothing complicated.

Guest Dr_Puck
22 hours ago, dsl135 said:

More often than not, though, I respond and take a penny off of the asking price. If someone doesn't want to be serious with their first offer, I'm not going to be serious with mine, lol

Hey, that's my strategy. I learned it by watching you! 

21 hours ago, furiousd said:

I'd ask them to clarify if they measured it under the gussets. That would be a huge jersey.  Can't really tell the proportions on the mannequin.

I'm sure that's what they did.  You can probably safely subtract 4" from the measurement.  So, it's probably a size 52.  I'd email the person and ask them to remeasure.

As for low-balling, I don't allow best offer anymore, but when I did, I just set the auto-reject to an amount I was comfortable with.  When your item is auto-rejected, you don't even get a notification about it.  It's nice.