• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jsh139 said:

No love for Dark Side of the Moon? ?

I know it's cliche, but that is still my favorite Floyd album.  More so than WYWH which is often cited by most Floyd fans as their best work.  I DSOTM just works better overall than WYWH but both are great albums.

10 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

This is by far my favorite off-topic discussion on IJ. Speaking of favorites, Pigs (Three Different Ones) is easily tops in my book for Floyd and prog in general. I love me some Rush and Yes but Pigs is effing fantastic as progressive music.

Now, Devils fans you may go back to boring up the forum with comments about the most boring of all team jerseys. 

Believe it or not that is actually my least favorite song on Animals.  I think a lot of it is because it is the most Roger-esque of the three major songs on there (pigs on a wing are just bookends really).

Dogs and Sheep were actually written and first performed during the DSOTM tour.  Dogs had the working title of You Gotta Be Crazy and Sheep had the working title of Raving and Drooling.  There are some bootlegs of concerts during that tour where they perform them.  They are largely the same as the finished product but with a little more involvement from Gilmour on both songs and some slightly different lyrics. They put those aside to record WYWH and performed the songs again in concerts to support WYWH.  By the time they reached the studio to record Animals, they pretty much perfected those two songs and just changed the title and some lyrics to fit the Animal Farm concept.  Pigs was really the only song that was written during the actual recording session for Animals.

3 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

I know it's cliche, but that is still my favorite Floyd album.  More so than WYWH which is often cited by most Floyd fans as their best work.  I DSOTM just works better overall than WYWH but both are great albums.

I don't know why that would be cliche. It's an amazing work that caters to both devoted and casual fans alike. It flows well as an album, is easy to digest and there's a ton going on. I love The Wall for many reasons but as an album I don't think it's as palatable due to the constantly changing feel and fragmented structure. It's probably also "cliche" but I think Comfortably Numb is their best song and by far my favorite. It's dark, it's complex and Gilmour is in fine form. 

Its like being a fan of basketball and liking Michael Jordan. It's hard not to. 

Why are we even talking about old man music from like forever ago?? We should be talking about the classics like Drake, Bieber, Post Malone etc......??

12 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

I don't know why that would be cliche. It's an amazing work that caters to both devoted and casual fans alike. It flows well as an album, is easy to digest and there's a ton going on. I love The Wall for many reasons but as an album I don't think it's as palatable due to the constantly changing feel and fragmented structure. It's probably also "cliche" but I think Comfortably Numb is their best song and by far my favorite. It's dark, it's complex and Gilmour is in fine form. 

Its like being a fan of basketball and liking Michael Jordan. It's hard not to. 

Being around hardcore Floyd fans for a while now, just saying DSOTM is your favorite album will get plenty of eyeballs rolling.  You're pretty much told you are not a real Floyd fan if you don't think WYWH was the best album mankind has ever created.  Whatever.  It's a great album and is my second favorite Floyd album out of their 12-15 studio albums.  I just think DSOTM edges it out for many reasons such as some you have stated.

8 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Being around hardcore Floyd fans for a while now, just saying DSOTM is your favorite album will get plenty of eyeballs rolling.  You're pretty much told you are not a real Floyd fan if you don't think WYWH was the best album mankind has ever created.  Whatever.  It's a great album and is my second favorite Floyd album out of their 12-15 studio albums.  I just think DSOTM edges it out for many reasons such as some you have stated.

WYWH is insanely good. Both albums are solid listens but as a music freak and musician I gave up picking favorites. They're different, which is great, and I'll listen to and enjoy both whenever I want without worrying about favorites. 

Its like pizza and beer. I really love both, and I'm not being forced to choose so I'll just have both, thanks.

7 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

WYWH is insanely good. Both albums are solid listens but as a music freak and musician I gave up picking favorites. They're different, which is great, and I'll listen to and enjoy both whenever I want without worrying about favorites. 

Its like pizza and beer. I really love both, and I'm not being forced to choose so I'll just have both, thanks.

I don't think there is any harm in having favorites.  I just think attacking someone who has a different opinion on what they like the most is silly, especially in music which is incredibly subjective (that's why I hate "greatest x in music history" lists).

Dark Side in Alan Parson's Quad 4.0 is the best way to hear it. Second would be Guthrie's 2003 5.1, then Chris Thomas' stereo. WYWH is better in stereo than either the 1975 4.0, or the 2008 5.1, both a little underwhelming. The Division Bell 5.1 is very good also. 

Guest Dr_Puck

Just had an offer of 1/11th the listed price, countered by knocking off a penny. Either people have broken fingers that somehow preclude them from tapping out a full price or they are dolts.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

For those of you who are math challenged, it was $7 on a $77 jersey. 

I’ll give six dollars and 100 cents, but not a penny more. Also, even though it has a Meigray tag I can look up and research myself, does it come with paperwork?

What is the term for people who accept an offer then try to finagle you to sell it for cheaper before they pay? Only on Ebay from my experience.

2 hours ago, Dr_Puck said:

For those of you who are math challenged, it was $7 on a $77 jersey. 

My occasional response to that type of offer is “I’m just trying to sell it, I’m not selling it to buy crack”. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...