Jump to content
dsl135

eBay version 4.0

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LetsGoCaps said:

$10.85 shipped, maybe someone can play pickup in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dr_Puck said:

I know I'd never win this with ebay but I want to return a jersey that I purchased in late July. I won an auction for a late 90s minor league goalie gamer. Despite twice hitting it with an Oxyclean bath and washing it numerous times, I cannot get the basement smell out of it. My last hope is the local dry cleaner, who is running it through some sort of oxidation process. The good news is that the drycleaner tells me it's not mold and not likely to stink up the rest of my jerseys. The bad news is that I dropped $250 on a jersey that, in hindsight, I should have immediately returned. 

Minor league jersey, major league stink.

has to be pretty bad if you washed it several times and it still stinks. Are we talking in the washing machine with actual laundry detergent? Or are you one of these guys that thinks soaking something in cold water is "washing" it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few with that musty basement smell,

Typically I do a hot water soak in oxi clean with a small cup of laundry detergent, let it soak for about 20 min while agitating it by hand.
*What I used to do was dump the whole bucket with the jersey in the washing machine but I've found that doing so is washing it in it's own filth and it won't remove the smell and/or does not come bright and clean.
Now what I do is dump everything in my shower drain and rinse the jersey off before putting it in the wash.

I've had good results
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr_Puck said:

And I'll tee you up for a joke Mfitz, it was (Binghamton) Rangers jersey. 

Rangers jerseys are their own joke. If this one didn’t smell too much to wear, joke would be on you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-Authentic-and-Rare-Golden-Toe-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Mario-Lemieux-jersey-48/283623155838?hash=item420941e87e:g:NiMAAOSw4SJdiU9t

Incredibly over-priced considering accuracy...but big block CCM (sans the NHL shield) Gold Toe jersey.  Needs stripped, replica all-star patch, but if you are desperately searching for that exact jersey.  *shrug*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blurryhaze312 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-Authentic-and-Rare-Golden-Toe-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Mario-Lemieux-jersey-48/283623155838?hash=item420941e87e:g:NiMAAOSw4SJdiU9t

Incredibly over-priced considering accuracy...but big block CCM (sans the NHL shield) Gold Toe jersey.  Needs stripped, replica all-star patch, but if you are desperately searching for that exact jersey.  *shrug*

It's incredible this guys jerseys all have replica patches.  Check out his Conacher Devils gamer and see the replica 75th patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

It's incredible this guys jerseys all have replica patches.  Check out his Conacher Devils gamer and see the replica 75th patch.

I’m guessing he found the Conacher jersey and then slapped the 75th and Devils 10th patches on there to make it more desirable. He’s had it for a long time with no takers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m guessing he found the Conacher jersey and then slapped the 75th and Devils 10th patches on there to make it more desirable. He’s had it for a long time with no takers. 

But it's a gamer shouldn't it already have those original patches?  Or was it maybe a 90-91 gamer that he slapped the replica patches on to make it more desirable in the fashion of the 91-92?  Otherwise if it was a 91-92 maybe he or someone else harvested the real patches and put on the replicas.  Who knows I guess, just best to stay away.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

But it's a gamer shouldn't it already have those original patches?  Or was it maybe a 90-91 gamer that he slapped the replica patches on to make it more desirable in the fashion of the 91-92?  Otherwise if it was a 91-92 maybe he or someone else harvested the real patches and put on the replicas.  Who knows I guess, just best to stay away.

 

 

Claims it was stripped for the preseason of 92-93. Could be true, it does have the Custom Crafted hem logo. Or it could be completely fabricated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JJM4 said:

But it's a gamer shouldn't it already have those original patches?  Or was it maybe a 90-91 gamer that he slapped the replica patches on to make it more desirable in the fashion of the 91-92?  Otherwise if it was a 91-92 maybe he or someone else harvested the real patches and put on the replicas.  Who knows I guess, just best to stay away.

 

 

The Devils never wore that style collar with the CC left hem and CCM/NHL logo combo on the right hem during the regular seasons in which that hem was worn.

The Devils pre-season jerseys from 1990-92 had heat transfer logos/name/numbers and did not have that style CCM/NHL logo hem. 

If someone is open minded enough where they are of the opinion that "anything could have gotten worn on the ice/anything could have happened in those days" then give it a shot, but i personally steered clear away from it. Being it's still up for sale for that price lends firm belief other collectors are not confident in it, either.

 

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

The Devils never wore that style collar with the CC left hem and CCM/NHL logo combo on the right hem during the regular seasons in which that hem was worn.

The Devils pre-season jerseys from 1990-92 had heat transfer logos/name/numbers and did not have that style CCM/NHL logo hem. 

If someone is open minded enough where they are of the opinion that "anything could have gotten worn on the ice/anything could have happened in those days" then give it a shot, but i personally steered clear away from it. Being it's still up for sale for that price lends firm belief other collectors are not confident in it, either.

 

That's a good catch, it should have the "underwear waistband" style collar, correct?

Also, In Googling for examples, I also found where the guy got the jersey from:

Brian Sullivan Game Worn

Obviously he thought Conacher plus the extra patches equals a profit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's a good catch, it should have the "underwear waistband" style collar, correct?

Also, In Googling for examples, I also found where the guy got the jersey from:

Brian Sullivan Game Worn

Obviously he thought Conacher plus the extra patches equals a profit. 

 

Yes. The flat more stretchy collar. 

That's the same jersey? If it is, wow. The Sullivan doesn't have the NHL shield on the hem and it's the wrong CCM logo, but looks to have that same green mark on the one sleeve and the black mark next to the "3"?

I'd love to see a pic of that "Conacher" jersey turned inside out.

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Yes. The flat more stretchy collar. 

That's the same jersey? If it is, wow. The Sullivan doesn't have the NHL shield on the hem and it's the wrong CCM logo, but looks to have that same green mark on the one sleeve and the black mark next to the "3"?

It looks like it to me. All of the marks on both sleeves, including the long, straight vertical line and what looks like a hole or repair on the left sleeve, and the marks on the right sleeve you mentioned. Look also at the mark(s) on the right side (while looking at it, left side if you were wearing it) below the crest, right above the green stripe as well. That appears to be the same as well.

I'll cop to being awful at those "notice all the difference between these two pictures" type games, but this one looks like a slam dunk to me. 

The Sullivan also had everything screened on, I bet he just bought a crest, got a new #32 kit and just sewed them over the screen work. The hem logo and shield, though, that work looks really well done. But it had to have been added later based on all of the other stuff showing its the same jersey. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It looks like it to me. All of the marks on both sleeves, including the long, straight vertical line and what looks like a hole or repair on the left sleeve, and the marks on the right sleeve you mentioned. Look also at the mark(s) on the right side (while looking at it, left side if you were wearing it) below the crest, right above the green stripe as well. That appears to be the same as well.

I'll cop to being awful at those "notice all the difference between these two pictures" type games, but this one looks like a slam dunk to me. 

The Sullivan also had everything screened on, I bet he just bought a crest, got a new #32 kit and just sewed them over the screen work. The hem logo and shield, though, that work looks really well done. But it had to have been added later based on all of the other stuff showing its the same jersey. 

 

Yeah, i am inclined to believe it's the same jersey. The characteristics seem to match up between both well from what there is to work with pics wise.

As i said, i'd love a look at that jersey turned inside out. The CCM hem logo change really gets me, though.

I had someone within the last year buy my non-game worn 1982-83 Devils NOBR jersey and then turn it into game worn by adding a loose nameplate of a Devils player he bought off eBay. Other then not being a game worn jersey of course, the player whose nameplate he attached never wore the number on the jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, furiousd said:

That's some great detective work. Dude is even shadier than I realized.

All I did was Google "Devils 1991-92 Game Worn" just to get an example, and the Sullivan was right there in the little pictures at the top of the search results. 

It's scary, I mean I knew that jersey was off but didn't realize it was WAY off. The term Frankenjersey couldn't be more apt. 

IF he disclosed all of that, I wouldn't have a problem with it. but the crest is clearly new, and the numbers are clearly new, and he doesn't mention either. That makes him bad news. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

As i said, i'd love a look at that jersey turned inside out. The CCM hem logo change really gets me, though.

Me as well, mostly because I am shocked at how good it looks. It isn't cut off of another jersey and sewn on, so he had to get someone with embroidery equipment to do it. I'm sure if someone doesn't mind the whole trademark violation thing, its pretty easy to do. 

But there's no possible way with all of those identical marks that its not the same jersey. I don't think it would even be possible to duplicate it with that much accuracy, if one were inclined to try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

All I did was Google "Devils 1991-92 Game Worn" just to get an example, and the Sullivan was right there in the little pictures at the top of the search results. 

 

Fine then.  Middling detective work (that anyone else could have done), fitz.  😅

I have wondered in the past why/how there were some legit-ish jerseys in his selection.  This at least provides a partial answer.  It does make me curious, too, if there are any tells on the rest of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, furiousd said:

Fine then.  Middling detective work (that anyone else could have done), fitz.  😅

I have wondered in the past why/how there were some legit-ish jerseys in his selection.  This at least provides a partial answer.  It does make me curious, too, if there are any tells on the rest of them.

He seems to be a flipper. You can sometimes get legit jerseys cheap enough to flip without having to do anything to them. 

On this one, he probably paid the $200, put like $150 into it, and is trying to make a profit. 

I haven’t gone through any of the others with detail, but there’s a Devils Resch that looks at least mostly good to my eye, though the description is weird (“Torn or worn, don’t know which”). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, crazy that the Conacher subject brought forth all these findings.  The big thing I've noticed on some of his fakes is the fightstrap is not legit.  Look at any of his Fishermen or those red Sabres alternates, they all have cheap a$$ fight straps in them.

I've bought a Canucks red 90s 3rd jersey from him in the past, thinking it was legit.  After talking to a few members here, they pointed out some inconsistencies with the tagging, sewing and such.  The big thing was the fight strap was facing the wrong way.  He claimed it was still legit, but I returned it and was fully refunded.  Lesson learned, won't go there again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

Lesson learned, won't go there again.

I think that's probably the right view of this seller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I haven’t gone through any of the others with detail, but there’s a Devils Resch that looks at least mostly good to my eye, though the description is weird (“Torn or worn, don’t know which”). 

The Chico looks like a really nice jersey from the pics. The crest hasn't yellowed which is a plus and it's in a larger size. The customization looks to specs, too. It does have the wrong style fight strap or whatever that thing was meant to be. Fight strap aside, it's missing the red "Sandow SK" on the rear hem otherwise it would look exact as worn on the ice in 82-83. It's got the right version of the Cosby logo as worn on-ice, though (without "& co" at the bottom of the logo). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

The Chico looks like a really nice jersey from the pics. The crest hasn't yellowed which is a plus and it's in a larger size. The customization looks to specs, too. It does have the wrong style fight strap or whatever that thing was meant to be. Fight strap aside, it's missing the red "Sandow SK" on the rear hem otherwise it would look exact as worn on the ice in 82-83. It's got the right version of the Cosby logo as worn on-ice, though (without "& co" at the bottom of the logo). 

But I still can’t trust it because of the seller. 

Also, I bought one in a 52 years ago and it was WAY small, definitely smaller than CCM. 

I’m afraid to spend that much on something I’m not certain would fit the way I like. Although he does say he takes returns as well. 

I’m torn. Or worn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...