eBay version 4.0

dsl135

You're pretty much screwed. Luckily it is a lower priced item.

eBay will find against you if the case proceeds because the buyer never received the item and the tracking says so.

Try Sergio's idea of calling the post office and requesting them to redeliver it, but my guess is he won't be home when they try again and it will be your fault that the buyer is a degenerate loser (according to eBay) and be on the hook for shipping charges there and back to you

That may not be true. eBay will look at the tracking info and will see that delivery was attempted and its sitting at the post office. I don't think they'll find against him as long as he emphasizes that.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think most likely eBay would find against me in this type of situation because the product was never actually in the hands of the buyer. I am fine with giving the money back in that situation because I understand that aspect. No problem at all especially if it finds its way back to me. I get the product back and he gets his money back, no harm no foul even if he should have went and picked it up.

In the end, I just really don't want negative feedback for something that was literally 100% because of the buyer's laziness or lack of knowledge. I sent a message to the buyer the next day after the notice was left that that happened and for him to let me know when he got the item, never got a response of any kind. Does eBay ever let you fight negative feedbacks with any type of positive outcome? I imagine no. How badly does a single negative feedback affect your sales or ability to purchase, if at all?

Edited by Hollywood Cannon

as long as the buyer doesn't have it they will find against you.

That's incorrect in my experience. I had the exact same thing happen to me once and since delivery was attempted and the buyer failed to sign for it or go to pick it up, I was told no action would be taken against me and the buyer would be instructed to go retrieve the item. Of course, in my case, the claim was never escalated, and the buyer went to pick it up before it was returned to me.

If he doesn't pick it up, and it comes back to you, then you'll be required to give a refund.

EDIT: I'm thinking about it and while I thought it was a couple years ago that this happened, it may have been longer than that. Policies might have changed.

Edited by mfitz804

How badly does a single negative feedback affect your sales or ability to purchase, if at all?

To me, it makes no difference. Depending on the overall percentage, I might just look through the first page or two to see if it was recent. Then I'll consider what happened by reading the negative AND what feedback was left on the other side.

Ultimately, a single negative would not change my mind about buying from a seller unless it was directly related to the item I'm buying (I.e. If someone returned it as not being as described, I might consider that).

I have been selling since 1998 and have been unfairly saddled with a negative or two over the years, and I've never felt like it made it more difficult to sell my items. They were more annoying than anything. Posted in revenge, back in the days where buyers could get negatives too.

These two have been on the bay for a little while, but they got me thinking:

Brian Leetch played 61 games for a weak 2005-2006 Bruins team, at the absolute caboose of his career, but he gets the invite for two different alumni games? Wat?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Leetch-Game-Worn-AT-amp-T-Legends-Classic-Jersey-/221739146916

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Leetch-Game-Worn-Whale-Bowl-Jersey-/221739147081?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

An eBay first at least for me ... there was a jersey on eBay for which I had bid once, 3-4 bids total between a couple different people, and then was keeping an eye for which the bids where all cancelled and the listing was ended yesterday with just over 1 day left in the auction. Needless to say I was surprised given the fact that there were multiple bids I was the high bidder at that time. I've done a fair amount of transactions on eBay, 50+ with 100% positive, primarily as a buyer but a little bit as a seller too and I've never experienced such a thing before. Anyone else every have this happen to them before ?

Edited by same0717

Makes sense but kind of frustrating too considering it had multiple bids. Thanks!

That is very strange, I know they're very strict on ending listings with bids from more than one person, even that is sometimes hard to do.

I think if there's more than 12 hours left it can be cancelled regardless. Used to be that way anyway.

I think if there's more than 12 hours left it can be cancelled regardless. Used to be that way anyway.

Hmm maybe. I thought I looked it up and it was a big no no. I was concerned about someone pulling an auction that was much cheaper than the actual value, so I bid and then checked what it would take if he realized that. Seemed difficult enough that I stopped worrying.

Edit: I'm wrong again. I misread it, over 12 hours they just charge you a fee. God I hate eBay so much.

Edited by JoeM7392

Yea, plenty of people will email sellers and ask them to take it down and offer them a slightly higher price than the high bid. Its unfortunate, but eBay does nothing and completely allows it.

Yea, plenty of people will email sellers and ask them to take it down and offer them a slightly higher price than the high bid. Its unfortunate, but eBay does nothing and completely allows it.

Some people also list there items in multiple places, such as a hockey jersey forum, and will cancel the eBay listing if they accomplish a private sale.

From a sellers prospective it's always nice to get a higher price but it still is an unfortunate situation for potential buyers. Even something simple the courtesy of messaging the current high bidder and allowing them an opportunity to match or beat the higher offer price.

Some people also list there items in multiple places, such as a hockey jersey forum, and will cancel the eBay listing if they accomplish a private sale.

That is always a possibility too but easier to stomach from a buyers prospective if it's an item you might have been watching but had no bids.

At the end of the day chalk to up to a learning experience for me, not like I'm out any $$ just a little frustration and a mental note for the future when selling things not to be that person.

I have also seen a trend of ebayers raising the buy it know to a unreasonable number so as not to take it down but also no one bids , And then sells it on the side

I was bidding on something earlier this week and was worried about this exact same thing happening. The buyer had it up for only several days and given that this jersey is rare, I had a feeling he would either pull it down to sell offline or someone would way overbid me. Luckily, I was able to get the jersey. (Hits refresh on the tracking number ... )

However, in a situation where I absolutely must HAVE a jersey, I'd just about go crazy if a seller pulled it. It seems like there's not enough protection for the buyer.

(Hits refresh again...)

I don't know that I agree with "there's not enough protection" for the buyer. eBay notoriously protects the buyer in just about every single instance, and almost never protects sellers.

The rule makes sense and doesn't... because it makes it so that someone can make an offer and the seller can pull the listing, but it also makes it so that the seller can sell it elsewhere (although I believe ebay has a "rule" that you can't list items for sale on eBay if they're for sale elsewhere, but there's no way for them to enforce that).

I went to fill out the form for him on the USPS site, but it's illegal to fill out the form on his behalf. Rather not get into that type of trouble haha, as little of a chance as it is.

I sent a few nice messages responding to the request and am just waiting to hear back if he ever actually attempted to do what the USPS site says to do. To be fair to him, the eBay tracking doesn't list the information about how to get it redelivered it just says "Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)" on April 1st, but when you go to the USPS site it lists all of the info. He never responded to my April 2nd message, so who knows. I don't have a problem giving a refund but I don't want to give it and then the item gets picked up by him. Would eBay protect me in that situation if the tracking turns to "delivered" after the fact? I doubt it.

Luckily the tracking says it will be returned to sender after 15 days, that means a case can be officially opened (if the buyer wants to) that day (16th) so it should be back on it's way to me if he chooses to make a case and at that point i'll just give the refund.

This is just another example of interesting eBay loopholes. It'd be pretty smart of a scammer to not do anything until the last minute regarding picking up the item and asking for a refund and getting both potentially.

If your the sender and have the tracking number and exact address of who, or where it was going USPS will schedule redelivery for you. I've done it but you have to call them.

Edited by Hawks2797

I just gave up. The guy never bothered to respond to any of my messages (even the one back on the 2nd). I don't even know if he knows how to check messages, if I'm being honest.

I thought it was safer to just give him his money back sooner than have to deal with him being more pissed off and leaving a negative feedback.

The case closed today without the buyer even responding to his own claim. eBay just closed it because it was five days after and I issued the refund.

I didn't want to start another thread and figured I'd throw it in here. Another post office question, I shipped a jersey via UPS Priority Express to Artcraft Sports in Phoenix and was to be delivered today. I check the tracking and it says Business Closed and they'll attempt to redeliver tomorrow. They attempted delivery before 9AM.

Are they going to try and deliver tomorrow at the same time or do they wait until later in the day? I don't want to have to of spent $45 on shipping only to have it sent back to me because they keep attempting delivery before the place is open.