eBay version 4.0

dsl135

Well, ok then. I've had offers on a few of mine, and the offers would be considered ridiculous to you. But they were cash in hand, true offers. Certainly if multiple people are paying these prices it's not an anomaly? It's a super rare, hard to find Jersey as far as true authentics go.

And it's even rarer to find a storm gamer, why would a gamer be any less than this blank authentic? I would think that it's likely that someone interested in a storm authentic for that price would consider a true gamer for even more.

And let me say this- I wish you were right. In no way do I consider myself done buying the Lightning third storm authentics, and I don't plan on selling what I have.

So everyone here, hit me up with your $500 Lightning gamers/authentics cause that's what they are really going for!

Here you go, the most common of all Lightning players from that time period. And this was before his legal and personal troubles began, so that didn't depress the price at all.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buyer orders a (designated for USPS shipping) jersey from me on a Saturday night. Emails me to say they're concerned that the item hasn't shipped yet. It's not even lunch yet on a Monday ...

I smell a bad review coming on.

I'm reminded of my two favorite eBay transactions, one of which I wasn't actually involved in but was a bystander.

First one did involve me. I had an old Mark Messier OPC rookie card up, graded by PSA. A guy used the Buy It Now option, paid very quickly, and I sent it the next day. He received it two days later.

In one of those days in the middle, some dumbass contacts me to make an offer on the card, basically blathering on about how my BIN price is crazy, I should be glad someone's offering as much as he is, blah blah blah. The card had already been bought, paid for, and shipped, and two or three days later this yahoo wants to swoop in.

Second one I was merely a watcher. Someone had a bunch of 2001-02 Titanium rookie cards up. These were the runs where the print run was limited to the player's jersey number: 17 for Kovalchuk, 13 for Datsyuk, 30 for Jussi Markkanen, and so on. He had a ton of commons with a BIN of $100. I'm going through the list of what he has, and someone is just snapping them up left and right. I check back less than two hours later, and the seller has a list of negative feedback from the buyer.

Basically, the seller was at work when the auctions ended. Dumbass buyer used all these BIN, then requested a consolidated invoice. He didn't get it within an hour (since the seller was at work), so he filed a negative feedback on every individual card, which was 15 or 20 of them.

Oh, I just remembered another. I was selling a card from the 2000-01 Private Stock set; the rookies all had print runs of 155. The number of cards in the set was 151. I have a rookie up, it's getting some bids, and I get a message from some dickbag accusing me of selling counterfeit cards because the card number is listed as 122 or something while the print run number on the front is /155. He then messaged every bidder and eBay to tell them I was selling counterfeit cards, which was fun to deal with.

Edited by Nathan

I'm reminded of my two favorite eBay transactions, one of which I wasn't actually involved in but was a bystander.

First one did involve me. I had an old Mark Messier OPC rookie card up, graded by PSA. A guy used the Buy It Now option, paid very quickly, and I sent it the next day. He received it two days later.

In one of those days in the middle, some dumbass contacts me to make an offer on the card, basically blathering on about how my BIN price is crazy, I should be glad someone's offering as much as he is, blah blah blah. The card had already been bought, paid for, and shipped, and two or three days later this yahoo wants to swoop in.

Second one I was merely a watcher. Someone had a bunch of 2001-02 Titanium rookie cards up. These were the runs where the print run was limited to the player's jersey number: 17 for Kovalchuk, 13 for Datsyuk, 30 for Jussi Markkanen, and so on. He had a ton of commons with a BIN of $100. I'm going through the list of what he has, and someone is just snapping them up left and right. I check back less than two hours later, and the seller has a list of negative feedback from the buyer.

Basically, the seller was at work when the auctions ended. Dumbass buyer used all these BIN, then requested a consolidated invoice. He didn't get it within an hour (since the seller was at work), so he filed a negative feedback on every individual card, which was 15 or 20 of them.

Oh, I just remembered another. I was selling a card from the 2000-01 Private Stock set; the rookies all had print runs of 155. The number of cards in the set was 151. I have a rookie up, it's getting some bids, and I get a message from some dickbag accusing me of selling counterfeit cards because the card number is listed as 122 or something while the print run number on the front is /155. He then messaged every bidder and eBay to tell them I was selling counterfeit cards, which was fun to deal with.

How the guy in the last scenario message every bidder? Bidders are hidden from view. People can't find out who they are in order to message them.

How the guy in the last scenario message every bidder? Bidders are hidden from view. People can't find out who they are in order to message them.

A few years ago the bidders were not hidden. So if it was a few years ago it's plausible.

Ugly stories, Nathan. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I emailed the buyer with a tracking number. No response. If I get a bad review, I'll be sure to vent here.

Don't forget, sellers can't leave a "negative" feedback per se, but you can fit a whole lotta complaints into a positive feedback.

Just sayin'.

Here you go, the most common of all Lightning players from that time period. And this was before his legal and personal troubles began, so that didn't depress the price at all.

Huge difference in the exposure of that website vs eBay.. Hell, I didn't even see that one to bid on it.

GW-A has fewer bidders than eBay, but I'd say it's the most accurate representation of current market values. After classic auctions, it's probably the biggest NHL game-worn auctioneer, and it's got a lot of the GW forum members as bidders.

I'm leaning on that $700 close as being an anomaly, and I wouldn't be surprised if that item is re-listed because the high bidder backs out of the deal.

It was about 10 years ago, so things were a lot different. Bidder IDs were out in the open, methods of payment other than PayPal were accepted, and both buyers and sellers could leave negative feedback.

Around the same time period, I actually did something similar. There was a guy who sold a handful of cards, mostly cheap ones with high-resolution scans. Then suddenly he posts this motherlode of flawless graded top-end rookie cards. PSA 10 Patrick Roy, BGS 9 Wayne Gretzky, BGS 9.5 Mario Lemieux, plus Yzerman, Hull, and pretty much every major rookie from 1979-89 graded in pristine condition. Two red flags went up immedately; they were that he went from selling things like $1 Johan Hedberg cards to this huge stash, and he went from having high-res scans on everything to just thumbnails on these high-end cards. No registry numbers were visible, and none was provided in the descriptions. I contacted eBay while the auctions were going on to let them know to keep a close eye on things, since I suspected a lot of fraud in one fell swoop.

It was fraudulent. He got something like $30,000, and as far as I know no one ever got restitution.

Yeh all you young'ns don't know how it used to be on eBay back in the day. icon_ojiisan.gif

It was the wild west, you could see all the bidders, sellers could leave negative feedback, and bid sniping was a manual act of skill. I remember even having people send me taunting messages when they beat my bid in the last minute.

As much as I still like eBay has become too slanted for the buyers and against the sellers (even though they are the ones who pay the fees to eBay), overall I'm happy with most of the bigger changes that have happened over the years.

Edited by akteon

LOL, I forgot how you could see everyone that bid on an item. I remember winning auctions and within minutes people would start messaging you -- "are you going to keep that?" "I was going to bid more, but changed my mind, but I'll give you $$$ more than you won it for" etc, etc. That was wild by comparison to today's version that is much more privacy-oriented.

Ahh back in the day. when pp wasnt mandatory and ebay plus pp combined was only 3.5%

I remember some sellers who ONLY would take Money Orders and not PayPal in order to avoid the fees, even as miniscule as they were in comparison to today's rates. They would have these visuals guides added to their listings to guide people -- "the GREEN USPS Money Orders, NOT the Pink Ones!!!! with little images of the actual MOs) lol

And remember ebay would charge difference prices for the listing fee based on how much the starting price was. As a buyer, it would be great when someone started a premium item at a penny versus starting it at a couple hundred bucks. That was great for a while, but ultimately created the shill bidding monster so people could minimize listing fee but maximize sale price.

When I started, we used to pay with/ accept personal checks, with the condition that the item wouldn't ship until 5 days after it clears or something like that. I actually never had a single issue while doing that.

The convenience and instant satisfaction provided by PayPal are well worth 3%.