When did Shanahan wear #24 for the Devils?

dolph_sexton

So I found a couple pictures of Shanahan wearing #24 with New Jersey, but beyond that I haven't found anything as to when he actually wore it. Anybody know when?

shanahanredgreen2.jpg89a3bc042606ec6110ad22fb81122fb0.jpg

1987 pre-season? Sort of how Alfredsson wore #63 before his first regular season. Only my guess though.

Edited by Of Senators and Kings

I do not remember Shanny wearing a 24...of course you are going back to when I was 10-11 and not obsessed with jerseys.

Preseason is a good guess, but from what I have seen, a lot of the Devils old preseasons had screen printed crests. Real hard to tell what kind of crest those have but I'm leaning toward a sewn on crest, based on the way it is creasing.

Either way, you've enlightened me, thanks for sharing.

I was talking to an ex equipment manager who worked in the nhl in the 80s and apparently the league had a thing about giving players high numbers in pre season as a way of showing they were not yet on the team as final cuts always were made. The pre season theory would be a good guess. Something that might help is if that black and white photo is from the ebay seller who has a bunch of old photos. If it is, check the auction photo for the back as the photographer often put the year and game details on the back in pen.

The B&W pic does look like it's from that guy SBXXIXXV or something like that, and his photos do always have a date on them so that would be a great place to start.

He looks very young in those shots, so probably was his rookie season/camp

The B&W pic does look like it's from that guy SBXXIXXV or something like that, and his photos do always have a date on them so that would be a great place to start.

He looks very young in those shots, so probably was his rookie season/camp

Those dates aren't always accurate, and many represent when the photo was used, not taken, fyi.

Thanks guys. '87 preseason seems likely.

Preseason is a good guess, but from what I have seen, a lot of the Devils old preseasons had screen printed crests. Real hard to tell what kind of crest those have but I'm leaning toward a sewn on crest, based on the way it is creasing.

Do you know off-hand what kind of jerseys those would've been if it's a screened crest? Sorry it's just now that I know he wore #24, I kind of want a #24 Shanny jersey lol.

Thanks, I didn't see the Devils pic listed there, but I did find one of him being interviewed in a #9 Blues jersey, so I thought that was pretty cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Brendan-Shanahan-St-Louis-Blues-Being-Interviewed-8-x-10-B-W-Original-Photo-/351082470416?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item51be255c10

According to this, he wore it in 1988: http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=487020

Once again, they could be wrong, but I'd think the team might have a better idea than we do.

Doesn't rule out it being pre-season, it could be the 1988-89 pre-season perhaps.

I wouldn't give that caption a whole lot of credit. Looks like a Cosby tag/logo on the glove, though, and Cosby's supplied the team up to '87-88...my bet would be pre-season '87

He's rocking 11 in regular season at the start of '87, and the old seriffed font would confirm the time-frame -

Looks like a Cosby tag/logo on the glove, though, and Cosby's supplied the team up to '87-88...my bet would be pre-season '87

Does this mean that the jersey is likely Cosby's as well?

Do you know off-hand what kind of jerseys those would've been if it's a screened crest?

If it were a preseason, I'd think it would be screened, I know a lot of the preseason ones were, not sure if it was all of them. And I'm not sure if screened ones were worn during the season ever.

Does this mean that the jersey is likely Cosby's as well?

All teams recycled old stock for pre-season use, so chances are good that it's probably from Cosby's.

Just for clarity's sake - it's a CCM jersey, just customized and likely tagged by Cosby's