SPECULATION- What team will make the first major move

villavelocity

With Philadelphia cleaning house I'd imagine they'll look to make a big move as soon as they stabalize their situation. One of their young centers might be on the way out in an attempt to bring in a more established scorer, and I can see Knuble and Hatcher getting shipped out for some speed and youth.

I can see Columbus making a move eventually as well. They seem to have a clutter of talent but limited success. Berard, Foote, Klesla, Zherdev, Nash, Vyborny, Fedorov, Modin, Brule, Carter.

I'm sure Montreal will make a move at some point. Late last season I heard a lot of talk about moving Ribiero and Souray. With Ribiero already gone, I expect the second half of that rumor to come true eventually. Also, as pointed out in the other thread, Samsonov might not last.

I think the first blockbuster this year will be a complete surprise however. While I see all of these teams making significant moves before the all-star break I think the first big move will come out of the blue and surprise us all.

Of course, not sure on players but I see Phoenix making a bit of a move, and I am pretty sure that any team that needs goaltending help is calling Darcy in Buffalo about Biron.

Of course, now with the salary cap, moves are going to have to meet specific requirements as well as the money situation.

Of course, not sure on players but I see Phoenix making a bit of a move, and I am pretty sure that any team that needs goaltending help is calling Darcy in Buffalo about Biron.

Of course, now with the salary cap, moves are going to have to meet specific requirements as well as the money situation.

I don't think Biron's going anywhere this year. He's such a team player. He just got his new helmet painted and he's dedicated to the success of the team. I think his attitude is if he's here now, he's on board for the ride. He might look to be traded again in the off-season, but once he starts something, he seems like the type to see it through to the end and if Bufflo is going to have a shot at the cup this year, I think he'll want to be a part of it. Now - Regier could always decide to ship him out, and I'm sure someone will show interest in him before the season ends, but I don't see him going anywhere for a while. I could definitly end up being wrong though.

Of course I think any Coyotes goaltending move will depend entirely on how well LeNeveu plays. If he comes out of the gate and plays well, then the Coyotes won't look for a starting caliber goaltender and CuJo will finish out as his backup.

Look for the Habs to make another move in the near future. The Habs will have at least 3 or 4 un-restricted free agent defencemen after this season (Rivet, Markov, I think Souray, but not certain) so look for one/two of these defencemen to be moved, along with either Huet or Abby, depending on who wins the job outright - then they will call up Danis to backup and slowly be integrated as their goalie of the future, along with one of their wingers for first line center.

I have heard that they might try to get LeCavalier from the Lightning, who have almost half their payroll spent on LeCavalier, Richards & St.Louis. In today's NHL, you need more cap room and if half is already used, doesn't leave too much room for twenty other players - at least not quality / proven players anyway.

Another option might be in exchange for Gagner from Philly. They are looking to change things up there and it would help solve their golatending issues with a Huet or Aebischer.

I was lucky enough when I posted the thread of which coach will be fired this year, so who knows I might go 2 for 2 :lol:

Lecavalier to the Habs would be AWESOME

Though i think the Lightning would be more inclined to move St.Louis as he is older.

Lecavalier to the Habs would be AWESOME

Though i think the Lightning would be more inclined to move St.Louis as he is older.

I don't know if anyone wants to eat St. Louis' salary. He hit the lotto with a big season on his contract year and they signed him for big bucks long term. He'll never produce like that again though and he's maybe a 25 goal a year guy for the rest of his career most likely. I don't know if the Lightning will be able to move him, but they need to move one of their 'big three' and I don't see them letting Richards go, so I bet it will be Lecavalier.

I don't know if anyone wants to eat St. Louis' salary. He hit the lotto with a big season on his contract year and they signed him for big bucks long term. He'll never produce like that again though and he's maybe a 25 goal a year guy for the rest of his career most likely. I don't know if the Lightning will be able to move him, but they need to move one of their 'big three' and I don't see them letting Richards go, so I bet it will be Lecavalier.

Was reading around and there is another complication in trying to trade St Louis as opposed to his salary and that is the fact that he has a No Trade Clause in the contract too. Between the other 2, LeCavalier would likely be the one to be traded.

Was reading around and there is another complication in trying to trade St Louis as opposed to his salary and that is the fact that he has a No Trade Clause in the contract too. Between the other 2, LeCavalier would likely be the one to be traded.

Yeah - I can see Vincent being the one to go and I think he'd look nice in Montreal. The Habs have been growing on me this season...

Yeah - I can see Vincent being the one to go and I think he'd look nice in Montreal. The Habs have been growing on me this season...

The Habs have been interested in him since he was going for Restricted Free Agency. I know Habs fans would love to see him come home.

I was looking at the NHL stats leaders today and I just realized that St Louis is having a pretty good start to the season.

9G, 4A, +2, 43 SOG. He also leads all non-defenseman in Average Time On Ice with 24:24 per game.

I was looking at the NHL stats leaders today and I just realized that St Louis is having a pretty good start to the season.

9G, 4A, +2, 43 SOG. He also leads all non-defenseman in Average Time On Ice with 24:24 per game.

It would be a god-send for Tampa if he started earning his salary again, because at least than if they have to move one of their guys (likely LeCavalier) they will still have two solid offensive producers and $7.1 million cap space freed up.

Latest I heard on CBC Hot Stove was talks between Calgary, Philadelphia, Ottawa, and LA Kings.

Kings are looking to deal Conroy to Ottawa perhaps.

Ottawa has denied but rumors of Alfie leaving.

Philadelphia in serious talks involving Forsberg to Calgary....??? Hard to believe.

Latest I heard on CBC Hot Stove was talks between Calgary, Philadelphia, Ottawa, and LA Kings.

Kings are looking to deal Conroy to Ottawa perhaps.

Ottawa has denied but rumors of Alfie leaving.

Philadelphia in serious talks involving Forsberg to Calgary....??? Hard to believe.

I can see Foppa leaving Philly. He seems miserable and deserves to be on a better team. I think Alfie might be leaving Ottawa as well...

It's really too bad the flyers are doing horrible. They looked good coming into the season.. Or actually, did they really need a revamp coming into it?

It's really too bad the flyers are doing horrible. They looked good coming into the season.. Or actually, did they really need a revamp coming into it?

They didn't look as if they needed a complete overhaul, but with the way things have gone that is the route they probably needed to go. First thing they need to do is decide on a goaltender, this thing they do about putting somebody new in their each year needs to stop, they need to find one they want to keep around and let him have the job.

They didn't look as if they needed a complete overhaul, but with the way things have gone that is the route they probably needed to go. First thing they need to do is decide on a goaltender, this thing they do about putting somebody new in their each year needs to stop, they need to find one they want to keep around and let him have the job.

Nitty's gotta be in goal. The Flyers need an all new defensive unit though. Hatcher, Baumgartner, Gautier and Rathje are too slow for the new NHL. When there are four of your six, you're in trouble. They also need Carter and Richards to produce.

i hear nothing but reports of the flyers and forsberg trying to sign long-term. i guess its whos newspaper you're reading though, lol. it would be sad to see him go. although... i did hear ripples with calgary involving the cliche gagne-for-iginla, and a carter/umberger deal.

unless we get phanuef, im not interested in picks and straight-to-the-phantoms guys like the dude we got today. sadly, carter is injured or else id send him packing. keep a core of richards, gagne, and forsberg. ruszicka will eventually develop nicely. keep niitty as your number 1 guy... its the only way he performs like he did in turin. trade esche for anything... knee pads, a 30 pack, some pucks, i dont care. make houle from the phantoms youre backup. having 2 no.1 goalies on your team can tear teams apart.

Well the Flyers got Chistov lol.

I mentioned it in my post about Ottawa, but I'm now convinced that the first blockbuster of this season will see Alfie make his exit. If it weren't for the fact that Tampa needs to clear cap space, I'd say Alfie for LeCavalier, but that's doubtful. I think Ottawa makes a deal with a low power team like Washington or Columbus, or Philadelphia.

I also think Columbus and Philly should hook up on a deal. Columbus needs goaltending, Philly has a goaltending issue with Esche and Nitty.

On the otherhand, I'm perfectly fine with Biron, Kotalik and a pick to Columbus for Zherdev and Norrena or LeClair.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly no blockbuster, but the Leafs moved Telqvist to Phoenix for Tyson Nash and a pick. I don't see Telqvist helping them out of their goaltending bind however, and I'm not sure why Phoenix made that move, with all of the goaltending talent that's potentially available in the league right now.

I'm hearing rumors of Jovo for Nabokov, straight up, actually.