Do you wear your jerseys?

Chazberg

I know this is a pretty simple question, but I'm always curious because sometimes I get the feeling that a large portion of the jersey collecting community doesn't ever wear their collection -- I see a lot of guys buying gamers, or selling jerseys they have with the tags still on.

I have always bought jerseys with the sole intent of wearing them, never to display or flip. Over the course of having jerseys, I'll get some of them autographed and "retire" them with the intention of framing, but I'll usually buy a new replacement to put back into active wear duty.

I am in no way trying to advocate for one approach being better than the other, to each his own. I'm just curious what everyone's habits are here. Do you wear them all? Maybe you have separate wearing and saving/display collections? Or maybe you only collect to display and never wear? Let me know!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear them all the time. Probably too much. I'm trying not to wear them out as much unless I'm going to a game. But when it's cold weather s jersey is part of my around the house outfit.

Of course, mine are not game worn so I don't have that worry. I eat in mine, I just don't wipe my hands on them :)

Edited by mfitz804

I wear them. I have two gamers (one of which I will wear sometimes, the other is permanently framed). But I wear all of my authentics (on an almost nightly basis during the season). I just don't usually eat anything messy while wearing them.

I will wear my Authentics whenever I go to games or around the house during the colder months. I buy them with the intent to wear them and not to flip or anything like that. I will take them off when I eat though just because it's easier that way. I don't need to worry about dropping something on them.

My gamers on the other hand I do not wear at any point and I display them in shadowboxes. I also have a signed Weber authentic that I don't wear.

So funny that so many of you take off your jerseys to eat. How messy are you???

I do the same. Dude, you can't be too careful.

So funny that so many of you take off your jerseys to eat. How messy are you???

Ha, I'm with everyone else too, especially if it involves pasta and/or wine and a white jersey. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I use my authentics for hockey practice, and yes, if I wear them at home; no eating or cooking. Also, it's not comfortable eating, because of the size.

Why stop at jerseys? Protect your other clothes, eat nude! Especially at games or in restaurants.

I tried this once. Dropped some hot peppers on my garbage........so now I don't do this anymore.

Gamers - never, was too tough to find many of them and Murphy's law would kick in I'm sure if I ever deviated from this rule

Authentics/replicas - all the time especially classic 80's/90's goons!

I go to basically every home game at MSG, and almost always wear a jersey unless it's really hot out like near the beginning of the season. I'll wear authentics, and sometimes gamers, but not often, and not all of them. Some of them are off limits, like my jerseys from last years playoffs. I'll eat in them at the game, but I'll be careful. I find that you have to worry about other people more than yourself. Always a chance somebody behind you spills a beer on you or something. You can't avoid everything.

Some of them are off limits, like my jerseys from last years playoffs.

This is interesting, do you mean for superstitious reasons? Like, since they lost in the Finals the jersey you wore during the playoffs is now bad luck?

I'm definitely superstitious with my jerseys too. During the two Cup wins I've had a jersey I stick with and ride throughout the playoffs, and I also have a good luck shirt I have to wear under the jersey too. I'm also cautious about introducing a new jersey into the wearing-during-a-game mix because I usually feel like it's bad luck, especially if it has last year's Finals patch for instance.

This is interesting, do you mean for superstitious reasons? Like, since they lost in the Finals the jersey you wore during the playoffs is now bad luck?

I'm definitely superstitious with my jerseys too. During the two Cup wins I've had a jersey I stick with and ride throughout the playoffs, and I also have a good luck shirt I have to wear under the jersey too. I'm also cautious about introducing a new jersey into the wearing-during-a-game mix because I usually feel like it's bad luck, especially if it has last year's Finals patch for instance.

Not for superstitious reasons, but moreso for value reasons. Both of those jerseys were very expensive and I wouldn't want anything to happen to them and I realize that sometimes things are out of my control and I'm not willing to risk it with those jerseys, as well as some of the others I own.

I wear my replicas/authentics to games. I try to take them off while I am eating but if not, then I am extremely careful. You never know with greasy, messy stadium food and thousands of people, a good chunk of whom are drunk. I would rather have the food fall on my $25 jeans than my $200 authentic.

A FB friend posted a story that at a Devils game last week he was wearing his Devils jersey and someone from behind bumped into him. Didn't think anything of it until later on when he took off his jersey he saw there was buffalo sauce all over the numbers/back of the jersey and the guy didn't bother to tell him he spilled that on him. This kind of thing haunts my nightmares where I then wake up in a cold sweat.

As for my gamers, only wore one once to a game and it wasn't exactly one of my nicer ones. I rarely even wear any of my gamers at all.

Edited by Devilsguy

Authentics are only worn at home and taken off when eating. I know they're meant to be worn and I want good use out of them but, I also think they don't look nearly as nice with stains plus authentics are usually a pretty penny more than replicas.

Wear replicas mostly if I'm going out. Don't go to as many games but, would wear either authentic or replica depending on mood/team.

If I am watching at home and Rangers aren't playing well, I will wear a different jersey for each period.

Yes im always in my jerseys i wear them to much but i don't feel comfortable if im not in one.

Edited by Milo23

I'm too embarrassed to wear mine around town.

Likewise. Bad enough I have tell people that I am a fan of this embarrassment of a franchise.