NHL Stadium Naming Rights

lafountain

I know that the city controls the sales of many of the naming rights and the teams (unless they own the stadium) don't have much to say about it. With the city of Glendale and the Coyotes announcing that Glendale Arena will now be called Jobing.com Arena, it made me wonder. Are there any arenas the NHL teams play in that have not had their naming rights sold to a corporation yet?

The only ones I could come up with are Joe Louis Arena, and Madison Sqare Garden.

I know that the city controls the sales of many of the naming rights and the teams (unless they own the stadium) don't have much to say about it. With the city of Glendale and the Coyotes announcing that Glendale Arena will now be called Jobing.com Arena, it made me wonder. Are there any arenas the NHL teams play in that have not had their naming rights sold to a corporation yet?

The only ones I could come up with are Joe Louis Arena, and Madison Sqare Garden.

They're really changing to Jobing.com arena? That's pretty horrible. Is that the first ".com" arena? I know most it used to be pretty popular for banks to have the rights, The Flyers playd in Corestates, First Union and Wachovia... the company kept changing hands and names. Sabres play in HSBC. Is the Rexall owned by a corporation?

They're really changing to Jobing.com arena? That's pretty horrible. Is that the first ".com" arena? I know most it used to be pretty popular for banks to have the rights, The Flyers playd in Corestates, First Union and Wachovia... the company kept changing hands and names. Sabres play in HSBC. Is the Rexall owned by a corporation?

Not sure about Rexall, but yeah they are changing it to Jobing.com Arena. http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/story_details.php?ID=5377

That is a pretty bad name.

As for Rexall this is what I found.

The arena is currently named for Rexall products, a subsidiary of Katz Group Canada which purchased the naming rights in December 2003.

Not sure about Rexall, but yeah they are changing it to Jobing.com Arena. http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/story_details.php?ID=5377

That is a pretty bad name.

As for Rexall this is what I found.

The arena is currently named for Rexall products, a subsidiary of Katz Group Canada which purchased the naming rights in December 2003.

Hmm. That's a little dissapointing about the Rexall. Still, a .com name for an arena is almost disgusting. I never really minded the corporate names, since it's pretty much necessary, but couldn't they come up with a better name or just calling it Jobing Arena?

Hmm. That's a little dissapointing about the Rexall. Still, a .com name for an arena is almost disgusting. I never really minded the corporate names, since it's pretty much necessary, but couldn't they come up with a better name or just calling it Jobing Arena?

Yeah, there are plenty of companies out there that would probably like to have their name on a stadium. Jobing Arena would sound better but sadly they chose to go with Jobing.com Arena.

Yes, it is Jobing.com Arena. They're a good local company, at least, but the name is lame. It's the dumbest-sounding building name in the NHL, but they must have felt a need to outdo their nextdoor neighbors' University of Phoenix Stadium! Pink Taco restaurant was trying to get their name onto the home of Super Bowl XLII. There was a big stink (no pun intended) made about that. Autumn 2006 has been an embarrassing time for Phoenix sports.

I believe that Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Madison Square Garden and Joe Louis Arena are the only three that don't have naming rights. Funny how two are in the financial capital of the world (OK, the Isles play on the Island, but their name is 'New York'). B)

So are you saying that you wouldn't attend a game at the IceJerseys.com Center? I kind of like the ring to it. Now, if we could only get in some Sabres jerseys from RBK, maybe we could be on our way towards owning an arena! :lol:

So are you saying that you wouldn't attend a game at the IceJerseys.com Center? I kind of like the ring to it. Now, if we could only get in some Sabres jerseys from RBK, maybe we could be on our way towards owning an arena! :lol:

Heh. I'll never let arena names keep me from going to games. If I did, I'd be done seeing hockey games by the end of the next decade. I just think Jobing Arena sounds better than Jobing.com, just as Ice Jerseys Center would sound better than IceJerseys.com Center would. I honestly couldn't care one way or the other, it's just nice when the arenas aren't named for silly coorporations. They can be owned by one, but they should have classy names, as hockey is a classy sport. B) Now if you got some RBK jerseys in... I might be inclined to order a home one next.

Actually - I have a question. Will Reebok manufacture the vintage sweaters as authentics this year, since they're the official third? Even if they dont, are you at ice jerseys capable of doing them with front number (using the arm numbers maybe?) so that they look like the current thirds? I'm not sure if I'm thinking about getting a new one, but it's something to consider.

I believe that Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Madison Square Garden and Joe Louis Arena are the only three that don't have naming rights. Funny how two are in the financial capital of the world (OK, the Isles play on the Island, but their name is 'New York'). B)

I forgot about Nassau Coliseum, but you are right as far as I know about those being the only 3.

Even the local arenas in the area here have done such things. The Boise State University Pavilion is now Taco Bell Arena and what was the Bank Of America Center is now Qwest Arena. Kind of surprised that the Idaho Center hasn't gone that route yet.

We're getting a new arena in Newark round these parts next year, I'm very worried but certain that Lou will not let us be called a name that will make us seem as a joke.

Prudential, a big insurance company here, seems to be a logistical favorite to me. Prudential Arena, Prudential Center, etc.

We're getting a new arena in Newark round these parts next year, I'm very worried but certain that Lou will not let us be called a name that will make us seem as a joke.

Prudential, a big insurance company here, seems to be a logistical favorite to me. Prudential Arena, Prudential Center, etc.

My wife is from Jersey. I don't want to have to go to Newark for Devils games... she's still afraid of the area. Isn't it like the third worst city in the country? I guess some areas of Newark are safe, but it's got a scary reputation...

JLA has the advantage in its naming as it's owned by the city of Detroit but managed by Olympia Entertainment -- Mike Ilitch's holding company. Which pretty much means that Olympia owns JLA in all ways but legally in name. Comerica Park is owned by a group formed by the city and county, so they could open the bids for corporate sponsorship, which was won by Comerica Bank.

However, there is discussion brewing right now about a new hockey arena for the Wings. JLA is closing in on 30 years old, and the building shows it. The seats were built for a bygone era when people were smaller. The seats there now can't accomodate the size of people today in as cramped a quarters as we're given when in those seats.

I'm 5'8", 175 lbs., and I was sitting next to a guy much larger than me. When I first sat down, I had to lean into my wife because this guy was taking up so much room. Although I tried to shift a bit, it was just downright uncomfortable. He and his buddy eventually moved to a different row though, but the Joe is so cramped that I cannot imagine being any bigger than I am now and having to deal with a packed arena.

So Olympia hired a consultant to look into the feasibility of either an on-site replacement of JLA or building a new arena in the city.

When I first read your post I thought you were talking about the Justice League of America...