Jersey Foul: wearing a team that doesn't play to a live game?

Calciomania

Hi,

I've got a question about Jersey fouls...wearing jerseys from teams that not play.

In December I will visit New York and will attend the Devils-Blackhawks game on 9th December and I will have some seats behind the Bench.

So will it be a jersey foul when I wear my EHC Biel Lockout jersey from Patrick Kane. I thought maybe it's special to wear a jersey that is unique there.

What do you think about that? And how are the Devils fans habits when People wear jerseys from the visiting team?

Here in Switzerland I would never wear the jersey from my favorite team to away games, because we always have some problems with Ultras.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Manu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you are wearing a jersey that is Blackhawks related so I would say no.

It's not a jersey foul....possibly a fan foul, but as OR68 says, it's directly related, as Kane will be on the ice.

In Ottawa we often see junior Sens or 67s jerseys of some of the guys who're on the ice, so why not an international jersey of a player who's on the ice?

I don't think that's as big a deal as, say, wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey for no reason whatsoever.

And yes, it happens all the time. I went to Sens/Oilers game, and saw some dillhole wearing a Leafs jersey.

...some people's kids.

I see nothing wrong with it since it is related to a player in the game. I do find it odd when someone wears a jersey totally unrelated to the game.

I see nothing wrong with it since it is related to a player in the game. I do find it odd when someone wears a jersey totally unrelated to the game.

Like the guys who wear Rangers jerseys to the Prudential Center when the Rangers aren't playing. Its like they feel they have to wear a jersey because they are at a game, but they lack the correct one.

I will say, however, when I went to the Winter Classic in 2012 without a jersey, I did feel like I was missing something. Fortunately, it was like 2 degrees outside and I had multiple layers and a heavy coat on, so you wouldn't have known it anyway.

The OP is fine, though...if the player is in the game and the jersey is from an oddball team, its all good.

Not sure if it was a player's prior NHL team that wasn't present if I would feel the same.

Edited by mfitz804

Or in a lot of experiences at the Prudential Center they wear them to try to troll Devils fans.

But overall to the OP, I wouldn't worry about it since it is related to your team.

Like the guys who wear Rangers jerseys to the Prudential Center when the Rangers aren't playing. Its like they feel they have to wear a jersey because they are at a game, but they lack the correct one.

I will say, however, when I went to the Winter Classic in 2012 without a jersey, I did feel like I was missing something. Fortunately, it was like 2 degrees outside and I had multiple layers and a heavy coat on, so you wouldn't have known it anyway.

The OP is fine, though...if the player is in the game and the jersey is from an oddball team, its all good.

Not sure if it was a player's prior NHL team that wasn't present if I would feel the same.

As far as your question about Devils fans "habits when People wear jerseys from the visiting team" - There are definitely some that will heckle you (nothing serious though),however the dummies that would, probably will not be able to figure out what jersey you are wearing!! Seriously though, the Prudential Center is a very family friendly place - lots of staff and security, especially down in the expensive seats!

Speaking of habits when people wear jerseys from the visiting team - I assume Toronto is a fairly friendly arena to wear a visiting team jersey? From what I have heard and read it is a very corporate crowd...Heading there in a few weeks with my son to catch a game and would like to wear our jerseys. Any feedback on this subject is appreciated.

I think you guys have hit most of the points. I'll add those fans whose team kind-of stinks and they came to watch a good game.

Case in point: Bruins vs Penguins 2013 ECF Game 4, I'm walking around the concourse, and I see a group of four guys in Winnipeg Jets shirts. We shoot the s***, they're actually from Winnipeg, they came to see some hockey in Boston. Can't fault them, they're supporting the Atlanta Thrashers after all...

More recently, I saw some guys in the front row of a Bruins vs Wild game, wearing TML gear. Divisional rivals, sure, but for the most part the rivalry has been a little lopsided. Seemed they wanted to watch some hockey too.

There has been the time some random doucher with a MTL shirt got on the fan cam at a non-MTL game. He was loving the boo's. Total troll. So yeah.

In all, if it's an unrelated team's gear, it's usually because the wearer is a hockey fan as well as a fan of his team. So fair play.

I once wore a 'Mackinnon' Halifax Mooseheads jersey to an Avalanche/Oilers game in Edmonton. I think I got 5-6 'nice jersey' compliments from Oilers fans.

Definitely not a foul, especially since the jersey is Blackhawks related, but not even a foul regardless.

It's not a jersey foul....possibly a fan foul, but as OR68 says, it's directly related, as Kane will be on the ice.

In Ottawa we often see junior Sens or 67s jerseys of some of the guys who're on the ice, so why not an international jersey of a player who's on the ice?

I don't think that's as big a deal as, say, wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey for no reason whatsoever.

And yes, it happens all the time. I went to Sens/Oilers game, and saw some dillhole wearing a Leafs jersey.

...some people's kids.

Seriously, people shouldn't even be wearing leafs jerseys to leafs games. Not unless it's your intention to throw it on the ice after the leafs give up 9 goals to the preds.

Edited by slimcutta
After giving up 6 to the Sabres...ugh!

To be fair, there are some Devils fans that will yell at you and question your sexual orientation for wearing a Devils jersey with certain former players on it.

i did watch one guy yell at a girl and call her a for wearing a Parise jersey last year. She was like 11 and with her dad, who did nothing. i'd have knocked that guy out.

I watched all of that....I couldn't look away. I don't know if I liked it, but I didn't hate it.

Depends on context really.

If someone's grandma who goes to one hockey game every 5 years buts out their 15 year old Calgary Flames jersey to go to an Ottawa/Nashville game because wearing a jersey is part of the fun, I don't see how anyone would have a problem with that.

I was actually going to type up a much longer post but I deleted it all because I just realized that the rule is that it's only ever wrong if it's a Leafs jersey.

I was once at a Flyers-Caps game... Saw three guys together, one had a Ryan Miller Sabres jersey, one had a Mighty Ducks jersey, and another had some Hurricanes jersey with Vasicek or some other outlandish choice on it

Needless to say I was dumbfounded, but hey it didn't bother me besides the obvious and unanswered question of, why?

I don't think it's a big deal, I mean I will never wear a jersey other than a penguins jersey so what am I to do living in dallas when they only play here once a year. However you should be ready to be teased if you do, especially in Dallas wear if you do so they are known to put you up on the jumbo tron and point out your jersey :P

There are plenty of Caps jerseys at Verizon Center during Caps games even though the Caps aren't actually playing in the game.

Zing!

When going to a Kings game I like to vary it up a bit instead of wearing the same current home or road jersey that 10,000 other people are wearing. I think it's fun to wear an All-Star jersey of a current Kings player, or a Manchester Monarchs (AHL affiliate) jersey a current player used to wear, or a Team Canada jersey, etc. There's no doubt these jerseys are Kings-related. But I don't feel comfortable at all wearing a jersey of another NHL team that a current Kings player used to play for (and I have quite a few of these), like a Jeff Carter Flyers or Justin Williams Hurricanes. How many of you guys would be OK wearing another NHL team's jersey as long as it was of a player who currently plays for your team, whether or not that other team was the opponent in the game you were attending?

I would imagine most fans would side with some form of the argument that "name on the back isn't as important as the one on the front" (credit: Herb Brooks).

I think it would look kind of weird to go to a Rangers game and see a CBJ Nash jersey especially since they are now our division rivals.

I agree that to break up monotony of Rangers jerseys I enjoy wearing ASG jerseys to games. Its unique and still sports the home team via team patch which is on most all-star jerseys.

My caveat would be that player doesn't need to be a current Ranger but, he did need to play for Rangers when he was selected as an All-Star.

Just my .02. Wear whatever you want to games as long as its not a fake.

Thanks very much for your answers.

So I think I'll wear my Swiss Biel Kane jersey to the game. It will be unique for me.

But maybe someone have an answer to another question.

Is there a possibility to get autographs from the visiting team around Prudential Center?

Thanks

Manu