Bought a gameworn jersey that turns out to be an event worn

Flyrs21

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're safe my friend. I assume you paid with paypal? either way thru ebay or paypal you are safe as are all buyers...even the scammers. I just sold a $250 pair of Nike Foamposite basketball sneaks to a kid who took them out of the box upon receipt and said I sent him an old pair of vans skateboard shoes. Despite my 100% seller rating and over 150 feedback(he had 8 with an account that had been dormant for about 8 months). Paypal found on his behalf. Luckily I was able to track down his FB account(and his brothers who just so happens to be a semi-pro skateboarder) with plenty of pics of him skateboarding(1 pic of him possibly wearing the vans I was sent back) paypal is considering my appeal.

As the buyer you could send him back a white t-shirt and keep the jersey and paypal would find for you. It does take a couple weeks. If the seller doesn't comply file a dispute quickly.

Well guys the first profanity laced response from the seller has arrived but for some reason they seam like they are responding to Ebay and not me

Post it here, and even though they already see it, make sure you send that message to ebay. It shows you're dealing with an immature moron.

Post it here, and even though they already see it, make sure you send that message to ebay. It shows you're dealing with an immature moron.

I'm using Ebays "return an item" function so all correspondence is through Ebay, that's probably why they are responding to Ebay. Just so you guys know auction ended dec.23 and I accidentally paid with an e check instead of credit card and the check cleared and payment was received on dec.29. I received the jersey dec. 31 filed claim on jan13. Here it is....

charisma951 sent you a message about your request: I think this is a total Bulls**t claim. I have a COA from the Gamewornauction.com.......NOT MEIGRAY... for this jersey. If the buyer wanted to check with Meigray, he should have done this during the auction, not 2 months after. The buyer mis-paid and I dealt with that with no problem waiting several weeks for payment to clear....did I give him a bad rating.....No... This buyer clearly had second thought from the beginning. eBay, if he wins this one, you will never see me again. This is total crap. One Pissed off seller who dealt with this sh**ty buyer from day one. Here we come Amazon!!!!

LOL and he's taking his anger out on eBay by "quitting"?

I do have to disagree with the payment method though. You should've paid through PayPal.

LOL and he's taking his anger out on eBay by "quitting"?

I do have to disagree with the payment method though. You should've paid through PayPal.

It was an echeck through paypal. I haven't used my PayPal account in about 8 years so my credit card expired and the settings switched over to echeck as preferred method of payment but I didn't realize that until I sent them payment. I'm the dumba** for hitting the pay button to quickly.

What does the COA he is referring to say? if it says its gameworn he may have a good argument.

Of course, his prior attempt to sell it as game worn probably reveals he knew it was not.

Well based on the listing from gamewornauctions.net it was sold as "game worn" so a COA from them would probably list it as such.

Their description says "Game use is obvious, albeit light, with some notable stick marks. This jersey will be accompanied by an NHL letter."

So is the COA from gamewornauctions or from the NHL?

Edited by akteon

Here's the serial number sewn into the jersey. The serial number or a pic of it were not included in the Ebay auction. According to the serial number 4 jerseys were prepared, a photoshoot and 3 for each period. I think I remember the auctions on nhl.com in 1999 and the 2nd period was auctioned off to the public

imagejpg1_zps8e169f9a.jpg

Edited by Flyrs21

Hmm ... the NHL letter is vague and the gamewornauctions.net letter just reprints the auction description, which unfortunately mentions it was worn in that game and has wear.

it's complicated at this point - the seller can just claim it's game worn because that's what the LOA from gamewornauctions.net says. Ultimately it's their fault for originally allowing the jersey to list as game worn.

I think you just need to try to get something in writing from MeiGray stating that based on the serial number on the jersey it was only worn in a photoshoot, and hope that eBay accepts that.

Yeah its looking harder and harder to prove the case. I don't see any game wear in the pictures, are there any marks on it?

There's a dot from a sharpie, guess when he signed it and there are two black marks on the sleeve, above where the glove would be at. They are about 1/4 inch long.

There are two problems. First the NHL could be a little clearer with their cert., maybe put the serial number and what the jersey was actually used for on it and the other problem is the way gamewornauctions listed it when they sold it. They had to know Meigray has the list of serial #'s because the topic has been brought up on their site many times. Were they being lazy or shady, I don't know.

When I read the NHL cert. it makes it look like someone bought an authentic jersey from the gift shop at the game

Edited by Flyrs21

There's a dot from a sharpie, guess when he signed it and there are two black marks on the sleeve, above where the glove would be at. They are about 1/4 inch long.

There are two problems. First the NHL could be a little clearer with their cert., maybe put the serial number and what the jersey was actually used for on it and the other problem is the way gamewornauctions listed it when they sold it. They had to know Meigray has the list of serial #'s because the topic has been brought up on their site many times. Were they being lazy or shady, I don't know.

When I read the NHL cert. it makes it look like someone bought an authentic jersey from the gift shop at the game

Yeah the NHL certificate just says it's an authentic jersey, which it is.

The real wrongdoer is gamewornauctions, as they seem to have listed it as a game worn when it's actually not.

Ebay is having me send the jersey back to the seller and then going to issue a refund. The seller didn't respond to any other messages

Yeah that's the typical result. Don't forget to ship it by a trackable method so you can know when he got it and prove it to eBay if you need to.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.......So I sent the jersey back and the seller sent me a refund by e-check but the sellers bank denied the refund, guessing they had insufficient funds in there account or they did it on purpose to try to annoy me....ha ha

Contacted Ebay and Ebay sent me a refund so this is finally over