• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

That's because Blues goalies jerseys never see pucks :P

I kid I kid, 

Sorry, you set it up, I had to go for it,

I'll go back to my corner now 

Made me laugh, so all is good in the hood!

12 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

That's because Blues goalies jerseys never see pucks :P

I kid I kid, 

Sorry, you set it up, I had to go for it,

I'll go back to my corner now 

Cause their stellar defense stops them first

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Posting this as an example of pressing a crest post-wash. Myself and others have extolled the virtues of pressing a jersey while it’s still completely wet straight from the washer. This is why. 

The subject is a ProPlayer authentic practice jersey with the same layered twill crest on a game jersey. ProPlayers (at least Devils one’s) are notorious for having a loose, wrinkled crest. I tried pressing this one before the wash, and it wouldn't lay flat. So I pre-treated the crest with OxiClean stain spray (it had a couple spots) and in the wash it went. 

The stains came out. This was how the crest looked after attempted pressing and washing:

48261463327_1216b6fec0_b.jpg

So I immediately threw it on the ironing board, right from the wash. I went at the crest with a hot iron, directly on the fabric, no t-shirt in between. After no more than 15 seconds, I had this:

48261463402_bdb43ca3bd_b.jpg

Hung it up to dry and when it does, it’ll look great and will be a welcome addition to my collection. 

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

it’ll look great and will be a welcome addition to my collection. 

...until you decide to sell it in a week.

;)

3 hours ago, jsh139 said:

...until you decide to sell it in a week.

;)

That’s not true because...

...I got nothing. 

Oddly with Blackhawks crests I would not suggest this same process.

After a wash on a Hawks jerseys the chain stitching tightens up and wrinkles the heck out of the crest.

I let the jersey hang dry and the crest returns to its natural form.

It's the dangdest thing, but I would not suggest ironing a wet chainstiched crest.

*but I do however have a few Devils with wrinkly crests so I'm gonna give this a go!
Thank you

Edited by Hockey Bob

1 hour ago, Hockey Bob said:

Oddly with Blackhawks crests I would not suggest this same process.

After a wash on a Hawks jerseys the chain stitching tightens up and wrinkles the heck out of the crest.

I let the jersey hang dry and the crest returns to its natural form.

It's the dangdest thing, but I would not suggest ironing a wet chainstiched crest.

*but I do however have a few Devils with wrinkly crests so I'm gonna give this a go!
Thank you

I’d agree that it shouldn’t be done on every crest.  But layered twill, you’re all set. 

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, furiousd said:

I have a durene that I would like to clean, too. But I know that if I soak/wash it, it'll completely fade out the tag. So I'm feeling kind of stinky.

Fixed.

On 11/22/2019 at 12:56 AM, furiousd said:

I have a durene that I would like to clean, too. But I know that if I soak/wash it, it'll completely fade out the tag. So I'm feeling kind of stuck.

Can confirm that it dissolved off almost immediately, at least on the front of the tag.

On 11/21/2019 at 11:37 PM, Hockey Bob said:

Never tried cleaning Durene, guessing a soak in Oxiclean with a little detergent would be a good start. 

Giving it a go.  3-4 hours and two attempts and we're getting there.  Might need a few more.

3 hours ago, blurryhaze said:

It was a normal tag, but the ink they used just washed right away.  I didn't even scrub or wipe it really.

13 minutes ago, furiousd said:

I'm referring to a Sandow tag. They must have used disappearing ink, because when you wash the jersey, you end up with a completely white tag. Being nearly 40 years old also might have something to do with it.

Older CCMs have the same issue. 

• 4 months later...

Recommendations do remove mothball smell? I tried vinegar and oxy and so far the jersey still smells to high heaven. I've had to put it in a closet all by itself it's so bad. Never had a jersey reek like this before. Looking for other suggestions

I've read hanging clothing out in direct sunlight will kill smells. 
I've worried about sun fade but I can't imagine it would hurt if you put it out for a few hours 

just a thought 

Got it drying out on my balcony now after the most recent wash hoping some fresh breeze would help. Sun’ll hit it in a few hours. I left it inside out so shouldn’t worry about fading. Fingers crossed 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 11:11 AM, mdwsta4 said:

Recommendations do remove mothball smell? I tried vinegar and oxy and so far the jersey still smells to high heaven. I've had to put it in a closet all by itself it's so bad. Never had a jersey reek like this before. Looking for other suggestions

Updating this crazy situation. I received a two decade old gamer that reeked of mothballs. The smell was so intense any closet I would put it in would then smell. As mentioned last month, I washed it 4 times with oxy, soaked it in vinegar, let it out in the sun, used activated charcoal, and while most of the smell got out of the jersey, the crest still stunk. If it weren't a puffy crest, but a normal one, I'm sure this wouldn't have been an issue, but whatever puffy crests are stuffed with to make them puffy was clearly holding onto the stench.

Last week someone on one of the FB groups inquired about not being able to get smell out of one of their jerseys after using the normal methods. First someone recommended the freezer, which he and I both did for about 5 days. Didn't really help. Then someone recommended kitty litter of all things! I was skeptical, but at this point I figured what is there to lose? Picked some up, covered the crest with this stuff, put the jersey in a bag, and let it sit for a day. Then I washed it with normal detergent and the smell is almost entirely gone!

So the secret to getting mothball/mold smell out of jerseys quickly? Turns out it's the same stuff that removes cat p!ss.

https://www.target.com/p/arm-38-hammer-double-duty-cat-litter-deodorizer-advanced-odor-control-30oz/-/A-13969436?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google&fndsrc=tmnv&DFA=71700000062683854&CPNG=PLA_DVM%2B0060H00000pE1wlQAC-CHD-A%26H+Litter-Google+Search-2020-Flight&adgroup=PLA_A%26H+Litter&LID=700000001393753pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1016367&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uK5-qGx6QIVkY3ICh221Q3_EAQYAyABEgIO5vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by mdwsta4

I played hockey with a guy we called "Cat Pi*ss" because he never washed or aired out his equipment and he smelled just like a cat box. 

Cat litter makes perfect sense! 

Glad it worked out 

Edited by Hockey Bob

I remember playing and guys would show up to games with actual mold on their equipment because they never bothered to clean it or air it out. So gross!!

I was too OCD for that, I wiped everything down and aired it out after every practice or game.