Sewing Machine Recommendations?

Hey everybody,

I know a lot of you have sewing machines to do work on your jerseys, does anybody have any recommendations in terms or brand, model, ect? I had an old singer I used to use but it died on me when I started attaching a kit I just got from EPS. The old one was a bit cramped to work with anyway, wasn't really made with hockey jerseys in mind.

I guess it will depend on how much you plan to use it.

I bought a Singer Sew Mate 5400 at Walmart with the idea knowing that if I tried it and didn't like it, Walmart has such a loose return policy that I could get rid of it. I got a good price on it (plus had a few gift cards), and really only needed something that could do zig-zag and straight stitch...so my requirements weren't too intense.

I've actually quite enjoyed it. I don't know if it will last years and years like old Singers, but outside of working on 8-10 jerseys I probably won't be using it much. It will certainly serve it's purpose for me - and then some - considering the amount of cash I saved on sewing all of these kits myself over having a house fully customize for me.

Look into it. $130 right now at Walmart, but I believe it was a bit cheaper when I bought it a few months back.

Just be sure you have the right needles. Even cheap machines should work with denim, assuming you have heavy denim needles.

Edited by blurryhaze312

Thanks for the help guys, managed to snag a brother machine on Amazon for about half off. Plus I had some gift cards lying around, only paid like $30 total.

And yeah I only really need it for jerseys so I guess pretty much anything that would do a zigzag would work. I probably bought way more than I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading reviews and tips about buying an entry level sewing machine, I came to the conclusion that the best thing to do would be to get a used Janome Excel.

For the 100-200 bucks you might spend on a sewing machine meant for girls who wear dresses at Wal-Mart in an aisle next to the easy bake ovens, you can snag a used Janome Excel Pro.

I don't know anything about sewing machines, but they call it a Pro which is short for professional so that has to mean something.