Roenick hanging it up

DesertRat

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2925920

... 495 goals, third-highest American goal scorer. I'm sure he'll be quite the celebrity somewhere. Roenick won't get #500, what a week in the desert. I'm in Maui right now until Friday. I leave the mainland for a week and all hell breaks loose. :blink:

So close to 500. What a shame is game wasn't up to getting those last ones there at the end.

I've rarely been so torn on a player in my life. I've really disliked him for some of the things he said when he left Chicago. Being a Flyer certainly didn't help, but then I saw him at the All-Star practice in St. Paul go totally out of his way to be nice to some Roenick fans in attendance and decided he was ok again. Then he shot off his mouth during the lockout and again when not picked for the 2006 Olympics and I went back to hating him.

Either way, here's a small tribute to him - An American Original

2911574440100337552S200x200Q85.jpg 2285248240100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

2584081890100337552S200x200Q85.jpg 2679482390100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

One of the best American Born players. He was never short of words either. As much as seeing him get to 500 would be nice, at the same time seeing players just stick around for a milestone to just call it quits after is never a good sight either. This way the team knows they won't have him so they can look elsewhere, though it would usually be nice to be notified before Free Agency starts.

I had a feeling this was coming, he's just not been the same the last couple of seasons. JeffB, I agree with your assessment, there were times I liked the guy and times I wanted to pop him upside the head. He was a really good guy to me when I met him in February and he will be missed.

To me, it's just sad to see a player's career just fizzle out. He'd been on a downward spiral for the last few years, and I can't help but think that he's retiring because no other team wanted him. Kinda' like seeing how Paul Coffey's career ended -- bouncing from team to team and not really getting much ice time or interest from other teams at the end, so retirement is the only option left.